none
HELP! Fatal Error C0000034 applying update operation 303 of 106925 (_00000...)

Question

• I don't know what to do.

Installation of the Windows 7 service pack 1 had been interrupted. I started the computer up, and it stuck at the start up screen(black with windows logo and "Starting Windows". I had to force shut down by holding power button then when I started it back up I ran the Startup Repair. It restarted after that and THEN gave me the C0000034 Fatal Error code. I've left it there until I get help with what to do now.

I cannot access my desktop, I haven't tried force shutting it down and starting again. I need major help, please.

I don't know much about computers. I need something simple that I can understand.

I hope I can get a quick reply, I don't want to have to wipe everything out.

Monday, January 07, 2013 2:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The solution for the issue from the author named Herman:

Do the following:

1. Locate a second computer with access to the internet.

2. Open Notepad.

3. Copy and paste the following text into Notepad.

Dim xmlDoc, node, nodeList, fileName, backupFileName, numberOfPOQNodes

Set xmlDoc = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")

If Wscript.Arguments.Count = 0 Then

WScript.echo("Error! No XML file specified.")

Wscript.quit

End If

fileName = WScript.Arguments(0)

backupFileName = Left(fileName, InStrRev(fileName, ".") - 1) & "_backup.xml"

If Not xmlDoc.load(fileName) Then

WScript.echo("Failure loading XML file " & fileName & ".")

Wscript.quit

End If

xmlDoc.save(backupFileName)

Set nodeList = xmlDoc.documentElement.selectNodes("POQ")

numberOfPOQNodes = nodeList.Length

For Each node in nodeList

xmlDoc.documentElement.removeChild(node)

Next

xmlDoc.save(fileName)

Set xmlDoc = Nothing

WScript.echo(numberOfPOQNodes & " POQ nodes removed. Script completed.")

4. Click File, and then click Save as.

5. Name the file script.vbs and save the file to a removable media device such as a USB thumb drive.

APPLYING THE SCRIPT TO THE FAILED INSTALLATION:

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. You have to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you have to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

2. Use the arrow keys to select Repair your Computer in the Advanced Boot Options area, and then press Enter. If you are prompted, select the Windows 7 installation to be repaired, and then click Next.

3. Select the language and a keyboard input method, and then click Next.

4. Select a user name, type your password, and then click OK.

5. Under System Recovery Options, make a note of the Windows 7 drive letter listed on the line below Choose a recovery tool.

For example, you may see something similar to the following.
    Operating system: Windows 7 on (C:) <VolumeName>
    Note In this example, the drive letter for Windows 7 would be C.

6. Under System Recovery Options, click Command Prompt.

7. Insert the removable media with the script (.vbs) file that you previously created into the PC.

8. At the command prompt, navigate to the drive, and the directory, that contains the script (.vbs) file that you previously created.

For example, if you previously saved the script.vbs file that you created to the root of a USB thumb drive, and the drive letter associated with the USB thumb drive is the “E” drive, you would simply type the following at the command prompt, and then press Enter.

E:

Note If you are not sure which drive contains the removable media you can use Diskpart to display a list of drives. To run Diskpart, follow these steps.
             1. Type Diskpart, and then press Enter.
             2. Type List volume, and then press Enter.
             3. Make a note of the drive that contains the removable media with the script (.vbs) file that you previously created. Assuming you used a USB thumb drive, the drive type will be listed as “Removable”.
             4. To exit Diskpart type Exit, and then press Enter.

9. At the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

Cscript Script.vbs C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

In this example, (c:\) is the drive letter that the Windows 7 operating system is installed on.

This will run the script in the Script.vbs file. After the script completes, you may see a message similar to following.

2 POQ nodes removed. Script Completed

10. To exit the command prompt type Exit, and then press Enter.

11. Restart your computer. Service Pack 1 installation should now complete successfully.

Further problems?  See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;975484

Hope this helps out!

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The solution for the issue from the author named Herman:

Do the following:

1. Locate a second computer with access to the internet.

2. Open Notepad.

3. Copy and paste the following text into Notepad.

Dim xmlDoc, node, nodeList, fileName, backupFileName, numberOfPOQNodes

Set xmlDoc = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")

If Wscript.Arguments.Count = 0 Then

WScript.echo("Error! No XML file specified.")

Wscript.quit

End If

fileName = WScript.Arguments(0)

backupFileName = Left(fileName, InStrRev(fileName, ".") - 1) & "_backup.xml"

If Not xmlDoc.load(fileName) Then

WScript.echo("Failure loading XML file " & fileName & ".")

Wscript.quit

End If

xmlDoc.save(backupFileName)

Set nodeList = xmlDoc.documentElement.selectNodes("POQ")

numberOfPOQNodes = nodeList.Length

For Each node in nodeList

xmlDoc.documentElement.removeChild(node)

Next

xmlDoc.save(fileName)

Set xmlDoc = Nothing

WScript.echo(numberOfPOQNodes & " POQ nodes removed. Script completed.")

4. Click File, and then click Save as.

5. Name the file script.vbs and save the file to a removable media device such as a USB thumb drive.

APPLYING THE SCRIPT TO THE FAILED INSTALLATION:

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. You have to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you have to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

2. Use the arrow keys to select Repair your Computer in the Advanced Boot Options area, and then press Enter. If you are prompted, select the Windows 7 installation to be repaired, and then click Next.

3. Select the language and a keyboard input method, and then click Next.

4. Select a user name, type your password, and then click OK.

5. Under System Recovery Options, make a note of the Windows 7 drive letter listed on the line below Choose a recovery tool.

For example, you may see something similar to the following.
    Operating system: Windows 7 on (C:) <VolumeName>
    Note In this example, the drive letter for Windows 7 would be C.

6. Under System Recovery Options, click Command Prompt.

7. Insert the removable media with the script (.vbs) file that you previously created into the PC.

8. At the command prompt, navigate to the drive, and the directory, that contains the script (.vbs) file that you previously created.

For example, if you previously saved the script.vbs file that you created to the root of a USB thumb drive, and the drive letter associated with the USB thumb drive is the “E” drive, you would simply type the following at the command prompt, and then press Enter.

E:

Note If you are not sure which drive contains the removable media you can use Diskpart to display a list of drives. To run Diskpart, follow these steps.
             1. Type Diskpart, and then press Enter.
             2. Type List volume, and then press Enter.
             3. Make a note of the drive that contains the removable media with the script (.vbs) file that you previously created. Assuming you used a USB thumb drive, the drive type will be listed as “Removable”.
             4. To exit Diskpart type Exit, and then press Enter.

9. At the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

Cscript Script.vbs C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

In this example, (c:\) is the drive letter that the Windows 7 operating system is installed on.

This will run the script in the Script.vbs file. After the script completes, you may see a message similar to following.

2 POQ nodes removed. Script Completed

10. To exit the command prompt type Exit, and then press Enter.

11. Restart your computer. Service Pack 1 installation should now complete successfully.

Further problems?  See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;975484

Hope this helps out!

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:30 AM
  • I created this account just so I could thank you for this information. It worked like a charm. You saved me from losing all my important documents and pictures etc. Once again, thank you very much. God Bless You.
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:38 AM
  • Thank you so very much. As someone who is somewhat illiterate with computers and programming, you helped me save all my data and hundreds of dollars in computer repairs. Thank you!
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 12:16 AM
  • I got the message "0 POQ nodes removed. Script completed"

Also, all the windows files were on the x: drive and not the C: drive where they normally reside.

Any ideas?

Thanks, 

Sean

Dell Inspiron 1470

Ok I since figured out to runt the script on E: and got the correct message.  Now I get a black screen when the laptop boots...
    • Edited by mcsean2163 Friday, November 15, 2013 11:11 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Before I do this, ( contemplating taking to a computer repair person instead) If I do this, considering it mentions service Pack I does that mean its a clean slate operating system? or do I recover to where I was and just have to install pack 3 etc.  meaning will I lose my pics/ emails etc?  thank you for your prompt reply as I have something critical to handle and am computerless....using neighbors to type to you.  thx!!!
    Wednesday, December 04, 2013 1:08 PM