none
Junction to 2nd drive still gets calculated as used space?

Question

• I created this junction:

c:\users -> d:\users
    c:\program files -> d:\program files
    c:\program files (x86) -> d:\program files (x86)

If I right click my c: and select properties the used space shows as 30.9GB this is much larger than whats actually on the c: though.

If I unhide all files on my c: "CTRL + A" right click then select properties it also shows 30.9GB but if I excluded the three junctions is shows 16.2GB so the code to calcuate free space on the c: seems to include junctions even when they are to another physical drive.  This happens to be a SSD so it might have something to do with that.

Looks like I am not the only one who noticed this.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/54295-disk-space-usage-discrepancy.html

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What method did you create the junction? Did you use junction command or third party tools?

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Hi,

If you set the junction, like c:\users -> d:\users, that means you create a hard link to D drive. D:\users is the shortcut for C:\users.  The items on D:\users are the same as C:\users. but D:\users will not take any space on D drive.

Thus, C:\user is a real folder and it will take space on C drive, and D:\users is a shortcut will not take space on D drive.

Regards,

Leo Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

Did your issue solved? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thanks.

Regards, 

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 05, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:24 AM
  • No,

The files are on the D: and the junction is on the C: I have moved all the contents of the c:\users folder to d:\users then created the junction c:\users that points to d:\users.  However the capacity is caculated just like the files are on the c: for some reason.

D:\User <-Real folder
    C:\User <-Junction to D:\Users

• Edited by yaplej Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:31 PM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please share me how did you create the junction, also please share me what tools did you use to make it.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Leo Huang

Leo Huang

Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:43 AM
  • I used Windows 7 cmd.exe command "mklink /J c:\Users d:\Users".  Just odd that whatever code caculates the used disk space is counting junctions to other physical drives as "used" on the drive where the link was created.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 6:06 PM
  • So look at this.  Its a KNOWN problem.  Please fix this because I hate seeing the alert "amber/red bar" that my drive is full when its not.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315688

"Volume mount points and folder junctions allow an empty folder on an NTFS volume to point to the root or subfolder on another volume. Windows Explorer and the dir /s command follow the reparse point, count any files and folders on the destination volume, and then include them in the host volume's statistics." Boooooo!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:36 AM