none
Windows 7 and Virtual PC 2007

Question

• I have Windows 7 Ultimate running and i have installed Virtual PC 2007. All effort to start a virtual pc from the Virtual PC console come up with this error message: The virtual machine "Brisbane" can't be started because it is being used by another program, or marked as read-only.  To start this virtual machine, stop using the virtual machine in another program, or ensure that it is not marked read-only."
    I have checked and crosschecked, none of these virtual pcs - by the way, they are all Microsoft XP Training Images - are not read only.

The last time i installed them on VIsta, they worked well.

Please does anybody have an idea of what is wrong?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:29 AM

Answers

• Hello Glowen,

You’d better use Windows Virtual PC in Windows 7. If the issue only occurred with this specified VHD, I suspect that it might be caused by the corruption of the file and you should create another VPC image. Otherwise, I suggest you trying the issue in Windows safe mode (press F8 while booting the computer) which might help to disable some third-party startup items. In addition, All data from the virtual machine's memory is stored in a saved-state file (.vsv file) instead of in a .vhd file. If you found any files with vsv extension in the same folder of the vhd file, please move it to another place and test the issue again.

Good luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:42 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:37 AM