none
Windows 7 64-bit freezes at boot screen(?)

Question

• Hello everyone, I am new, so sorry if I am not a technical person, if any other information is needed, please let me know.

My HP Pavilion DV4 started to freeze shortly after the warranty expired. It freezes on the boot screen (?) where the Windows 7 logo is animating. Just when it starts animating, where the red dot first appears, it freezes right on the red dot of the animation. It happens every other time or so, when I turn the laptop on. I had the latest updates and drivers, but I thought then it still froze. So I reinstalled Windows 7 and it still froze without the updates and latest drivers. I read that it was a driver problem, but no one gave a solution nor did any other questions asks matched my issue exactly.

When it does freeze, I have to hold the power button to shut the laptop off. Then, when I turn it on again, it asks to start Windows normally or do a StartUp Repair. I tried the repair, and it did nothing to help. People have suggested to see if the problem occurs in Safe Mode, but I would not know if the freezing happens randomly, and if I test, it COULD start on Safe Mode, while the next start up would freeze on normal.

Does anyone know why this happens or if anyone has any solutions? Thank you.

Windows 7 64-bit

4GB RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.10ghz

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, the issue not occur in safe mode, and the biggest differences of Safe Mode and Normal Mode is third party software and drivers. So this issue can be cause by the incompatible driver of device or device broken.

I suggest unplugging all unnecessary device, and in order to narrow down the issue, please try to perform device clean boot:

Device Clean Boot

=================

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Restart the computer to normal mode and check if the issue persists. If not, then enable the devices one by one to check which device will cause your PC freeze.

Furthermore, you can download latest driver for Windows 7 from HP website:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=453246

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Hi Leo Huang! Thank you so much for the reply! I was anticipating an answer for a while. I am going to try what you suggested. I also wanted to point out that technology is so strange, considering this didn't happen before, it just started to happen about a month or two ago. Nevertheless, thank you for your reply, and I will try the solutions you gave right away and post the results.

My laptop freezes at the logo after I shut down and do not turn it on until the next day. Yesterday, I uninstalled drivers I downloaded from Windows Update and used the ones from the Intel website, and the HP website, and today, about 10 minutes ago, my laptop started up just fine. I just thought I'd point this out for consideration, but who knows, maybe it may freeze again tomorrow.

EDIT

Well I think I found out the issue. I did realize I downloaded a driver from Windows Update. I uninstalled it and installed an updated one from the Intel website, and for the last four start-ups, my laptop did not freeze. Therefore, as of now, I think it was a faulty driver or just the wrong driver that caused my issue. I thank you regardless and will be saving your suggestion and advice for future references :)

Friday, December 10, 2010 1:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, the issue not occur in safe mode, and the biggest differences of Safe Mode and Normal Mode is third party software and drivers. So this issue can be cause by the incompatible driver of device or device broken.

I suggest unplugging all unnecessary device, and in order to narrow down the issue, please try to perform device clean boot:

Device Clean Boot

=================

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Restart the computer to normal mode and check if the issue persists. If not, then enable the devices one by one to check which device will cause your PC freeze.

Furthermore, you can download latest driver for Windows 7 from HP website:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=453246

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Hi Leo Huang! Thank you so much for the reply! I was anticipating an answer for a while. I am going to try what you suggested. I also wanted to point out that technology is so strange, considering this didn't happen before, it just started to happen about a month or two ago. Nevertheless, thank you for your reply, and I will try the solutions you gave right away and post the results.

My laptop freezes at the logo after I shut down and do not turn it on until the next day. Yesterday, I uninstalled drivers I downloaded from Windows Update and used the ones from the Intel website, and the HP website, and today, about 10 minutes ago, my laptop started up just fine. I just thought I'd point this out for consideration, but who knows, maybe it may freeze again tomorrow.

EDIT

Well I think I found out the issue. I did realize I downloaded a driver from Windows Update. I uninstalled it and installed an updated one from the Intel website, and for the last four start-ups, my laptop did not freeze. Therefore, as of now, I think it was a faulty driver or just the wrong driver that caused my issue. I thank you regardless and will be saving your suggestion and advice for future references :)

Friday, December 10, 2010 1:37 PM