none
Server Busy Error

Question

•  

Hello,

I was wondering, I get an error upon startup that says at top of box "Server Busy...", with some lame explanation within, and 3 buttons, "Switch to", "Retry", and "Cancel".  When I click "Switch to", the start menu comes up, when I click "Retry" the box comes back up, and when I switch "Cancel" it goes away.  It also goes away after a few minutes on it's own, if I do not click anything. 

Now, this is not a big issue, only a momentary annoyance, but is an issue nonetheless.  Any thoughts?  Anyone else, had this problem?  Any solutions?

Thanks,

Itanaman

Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:45 AM

Answers

• Itanaman

It sounds like you have an installed program configured to access the internet and perform an operation, such as check for updates for that program. The 'server busy' message is appearing because the program is trying to access the internet before the connection is completely ready.

The usual suspects, in no particular order, would be:

AntiVirus program.

iPod or iTunes.

Sun Java Updater.

Any other program that has program update options.

If you find one that meets this description, configure the program to update sometime other than when the computer first starts.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:52 PM

All replies

• Itanaman

It sounds like you have an installed program configured to access the internet and perform an operation, such as check for updates for that program. The 'server busy' message is appearing because the program is trying to access the internet before the connection is completely ready.

The usual suspects, in no particular order, would be:

AntiVirus program.

iPod or iTunes.

Sun Java Updater.

Any other program that has program update options.

If you find one that meets this description, configure the program to update sometime other than when the computer first starts.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:52 PM
  • I don't get this error when I'm starting up my computer, but when I'm starting Samsung PC Studio 3. Any solutions?
    Thanx
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:03 PM
  •  scifo wrote:
    I don't get this error when I'm starting up my computer, but when I'm starting Samsung PC Studio 3. Any solutions?
    Thanx

I'm not familiar with that product or how it works.

Your best option would be to contact the maker of that product.

SAMSUNG Product Support:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/troubleshootingGuidesMain.do

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Sunday, October 12, 2008 6:11 PM
  •  Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:
     scifo wrote:
    I don't get this error when I'm starting up my computer, but when I'm starting Samsung PC Studio 3. Any solutions?
    Thanx

I'm not familiar with that product or how it works.

Your best option would be to contact the maker of that product.

SAMSUNG Product Support:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/troubleshootingGuidesMain.do

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

No, it won't help because this is not a Samsung-problem. After spending some time checking the issue on different forums, I've seen people with the same "Server Busy" problem using all kind of different programs (CuteFTP, Adobe products, IE, Scanner etc). It's not a software-error, it's a system-error.
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:36 PM
  • I get the same error when running Quickbooks by Intuit. Have been on the phone endlessly with Intuit, they say they know about the problem but don't have a solution yet. MS has been no help. So I'm stuck with new computers with Vista and software that only runs periodically because of this server error. I wish we had bought before XP was phased out...

This is definately a Visa problem.

Norm
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:30 AM
  • if you open Samsung Studio, Click on Tools > Options > uncheck check for updates. Restart the application then try it :).
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Is there any was to associate the 'Server Busy' dialog with the specific process that is causing this issue?
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:01 PM
  • That's a very good question. I'll be curious to know the answer. The problem started for me soon after I installed Norton Security Suite, but I don't know if it is the problem (or another program that is being blocked by the Norton firewall).
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 9:24 PM
  • I got the same message anytime I try to do some explorer related action from inside a program, e.g. when I try to make a new folder in the save dialog window of adobe flash, or try to delete something from any inprogram file browser.

That happened after I deleted all device drivers from my registry by using a stupid registry program, I used a registry backup but that error still remains. It also seems like it doesn't let me use my printer anymore.

The system is windows vista 64 SP2.

I just come through another site while googling for answers and somebody said that it got the error corrected by installing an ASPI driver, I will try this and hope this will correct things. Otherwise... I have to format the damn machine again...

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:18 PM
  • The issue is definitely a problem with a piece of software running upon startup and confusing the network configuration. I am currently dealing with a customer's PC that is having this issue and it is stopping them from going onto the internet. The problem is 100% related to a program upon startup as if you run the PC in Safe Mode with Networking (press F8/F9 continuously at when turning on the computer until a menu appears and select 'Safe Mode with Networking') the internet connects perfectly fine.

Because it is something that occurs at startup, here is a list of possible solutions:

1. In Task Manager select the 'Server Busy' program, right-click and select 'Go to Process'. This should tell you what program is causing the error. Either edit or uninstall the program.

2. Run 'msconfig' and untick any unecessary programs BUT don't remove something unless you know what it is. A quick google search should provide you with information on any oddly named processes.

3. Create a new user account. With a fresh user account the process that is starting will not run anymore. Simply migrate over any documents/music/etc. to the new account.

4. Uninstall possible suspect programs, particularly ones that have been recently installed or undergone a significant update.

Those are my best suggestions. I will let you know what I do to fix my customers laptop.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:43 AM
  • Because it is something that occurs at startup, here is a list of possible solutions:

1. In Task Manager select the 'Server Busy' program, right-click and select 'Go to Process'. This should tell you what program is causing the error. Either edit or uninstall the program.

2. Run 'msconfig' and untick any unecessary programs BUT don't remove something unless you know what it is. A quick google search should provide you with information on any oddly named processes.

3. Create a new user account. With a fresh user account the process that is starting will not run anymore. Simply migrate over any documents/music/etc. to the new account.

4. Uninstall possible suspect programs, particularly ones that have been recently installed or undergone a significant update.

Those are my best suggestions. I will let you know what I do to fix my customers laptop.

What if it's not possible to uninstall the software that is the source of the problem?   I have a LBA - electronic medical record - that sporadically causes this 'switch to or retry' server busy error.  The confusing part is there's no consistent time when the error occurs it is completely sporadic. 
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:17 PM
  • I think the biggest problem for the windows is it's not easy to use. It has so many very difficult to solve problems like this one. So the users can't focus on their work, they need a lot of time to repair the software. ios is better than Microsoft on this.
    Monday, May 07, 2012 3:51 AM
  • Ronnie,

I, too, have the issue today of getting the error message "Server Busy...Switch to..." However I can't address it, as my keyboard and mouse won't work. I know it's not a keyboard issue as I can get to Safe Mode hitting F1, etc. How do I boot without getting this message? Ideas?

Thanks, Piper

Monday, May 12, 2014 4:17 PM