none
MS KB977074 Update Problem

Question

• I have tried installing this update it will not install. So I went to MS site and tried the download from their site
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=19e12856-4808-4fbf-b5c9-2dac4bbb48b6
    I have checked it has not been previously installed
    Since it does not want to install I have currently hid it in the MS Update
    It would be nice to know why it will not install and why if i go to MS KB download site and try to install it I get a po-pup saying it is not compatible for this computer

MY OS is Windows 7 Pro and is a valid copy My CPU is a 920 I7 with 6 gig of Ram by Mushkin Redlines Video card is Nvidia 260 MB is an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 with latest BIOS
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:33 PM

All replies

• Just to check what you have installed: If the KB 977074 update would have been installed correctly, the version of your "explorer.exe" (Windows folder) would be 6.1.7600.16450; if you installed only the previous reliability update (KB 974431), it would be 6.1.7600.16404.
    Both updates should have been delivered automatically by Windows Update, both require a shutdown/restart to complete the installation.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (50G),D:WIN7 (30G),F:DATA (250G)
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:04 PM
  • I installed it OK via Windows Update, along with a 12MB Defender defs update (12MB!!), and KB978506 IE8 compatibility view list update. Restarted, Updates were configured and I was presented with a default desktop, what I would describe as a Windows 2000- style taskbar and Start menu. and an error something like "unable to locate profile". Clicked on IE link on Start menu and it said not available.

In short it was stuffed!

System restore and back to OK. I am about to install the Defender defs update and the IE8 update as I doubt they were to blame. I shall leave KB977074 until I can find out more if other people are having problems.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Just to check what you have installed: If the KB 977074 update would have been installed correctly, the version of your "explorer.exe" (Windows folder) would be 6.1.7600.16450; if you installed only the previous reliability update (KB 974431), it would be 6.1.7600.16404.
    Both updates should have been delivered automatically by Windows Update, both require a shutdown/restart to complete the installation.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (50G),D:WIN7 (30G),F:DATA (250G)
    I have 6.1.7600.16404
    I have tried to install the current update it fails to install. I have tried using the auto update it failed it also faild going to MS downloads ( giving a popup of not compatible with this computer)
    Please note again as previously  stated, I know it requires a re-start that is where it fails to install
    It seems this update is causing for different problems for different folks
    I am not going to try again until MS gets their act together concerning this update for W7
    • Edited by Super Sarge Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:04 PM added info
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:02 PM
  • I'm in the same boat as you Sarge - I did all the same steps and it failed for me too. I guess I'll get in line for V2
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Same problem.

And with the other update released today, KB976972
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:42 AM
  • Same issue here. Failing at 67% and then backs out the update and reboots again.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:04 PM
  • I found this forum by searching for "kb977074 does not install", so yes, I have the same issue too.  Windows X64. Since it didn't install through Windows update I downloaded the stand alone and the installer hangs on "Initializing components"...killed it from taskman.  My guess is there is a bigger problem out there that MS will have to address for this update.

Microsoft, are you there?
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Hi Super Sarge,

Please check if the update KB977074 is listed under the Installed Updates list?

I would like to suggest you disable the antivirus program and try to install the update KB977074 in Clean Boot again.

If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=bb413243-a193-479f-8347-f5236bed2095

Password: p+$$EVL1G7R0jw

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

WindowsUpdate.log

================

1. Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, type: %windir% and press Enter.

2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log" and send it to me.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by lgarciya Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:53 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 6:44 AM
  • I am having exactly the same problem as the Sarge--
    Win 7 64 bit HP computer

jerry@abbanat.com
    Friday, January 29, 2010 12:24 PM
  • OK I have uploaded the log to the URL you gave
    I did try to again after disabling my AV which is MS Security essentials
    I again had a failure after the process got to 67 percent during the re-boot
    • Edited by Super Sarge Friday, January 29, 2010 4:36 PM added Information
    Friday, January 29, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Hi Arthur_Li,

I've just uploaded my Update file asking you for help. I'm suffering the same problem running Windows 7 Enterprise 6.1.7600 32bit.

lg5@abv.bg
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:59 AM
  • Another fail for microsoft, Im running windows 7 ultimate 32bit on a desktop pc, obviously a completely untested update which has massive fail rates.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:15 AM
  • Latest Critical update x64bit (KB977074) problems:
    - Causes system to hang on bootup ramdomly
    - Causes blank screens on bootup
    - Seems to slow down bootup
    Have to power off and on

Great reliability update - turns a working computer/laptop into a unusable brick!
    Please recall this fix, test - makes me wary of installing ANY updates henceforth.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

Since there are thousands of the different hardware and software configurations, it is hard for Microsoft to test the updates on all the different hardware and software configurations. However, please be assumed that our developers are improving the products.

For the people who installed cannot start the computer normally, you’d better wait for the next stability and reliability update.

I find three WindowsUpdate.log files from the Workspace I provided and find the following error messages for each log file. Since I cannot determine the owners of these log files, please check the log files by yourselves.

“2010-01-29 10:03:03:100    628     504 Report REPORT EVENT: {6B55DD26-3F61-4C8E-AC4B-54B1E0B40B36}      2010-01-29 10:02:56:854-0600   1    182 101 {D21F5F9E-68C7-49E1-B380-170F2E23CC3D} 101 80070005      AutomaticUpdates    Failure   Content Install   Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070005: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB977074).”

“2010-01-30 09:48:38:602    1416     12f8     Report  REPORT EVENT: {5560E0A5-AA98-4B2D-B1A5-A7BB4F2A6A85}     2010-01-30 09:48:25:555+0200  1    182 101      {AC8734C3-0254-4C7E-9BE2-1FF2D8DB0EAE}      101 c004f050     AutomaticUpdates    Failure   Content Install   Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xc004f050: 袗泻褌褍邪谢懈蟹邪褑懈褟 蟹邪 Windows 7 (KB977074).”

“2010-01-31 08:15:48:795    956     10d4     Misc      WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestUsingProxy failed for <http://www.update.microsoft.com/v9/windowsupdate/redir/muv4wuredir.cab>. error 0x8024402c”

Based on this information, error code 0x80070005 can occur due to incorrect permission settings. Please perform the following steps to check the results:

1. Download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
    3. Select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click "Continue".

4. Click "Start". In the Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
    @Echo Finished.
    @Echo =========================
    @pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.
    7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."
    8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

If it still cannot be installed, please run Process Monitor and check which locations or registries cannot be accessed. Then change the permission for them.

For the error code 0xc004f050, I would like to suggest you check if your operating system has been activated successfully and run System File Checker.

The error code 0x8024402c is related to the network configuration. You may try the following troubleshooting steps to check the issue.

Reset TCP/IP, proxy and DNS

=====================

1. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Please enter the following commands, and press enter after each

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

NETSH  WINHTTP  RESET  PROXY

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

4. Restart the computer to check the issue.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you run HiJackThis and fix the O17 entries.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, February 01, 2010 4:06 AM
  • This bat file does not work for me I run it as administrator and get the following for all the entries see image
    [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2a7dh8z.jpg[/IMG]
    http://i45.tinypic.com/2a7dh8z.jpg

• Edited by Super Sarge Monday, February 01, 2010 3:19 PM
    Monday, February 01, 2010 3:14 PM
  • I am having the same problem with KB977074  install, i get error c004f050.
    windows 7 64bit enterprise
    Monday, February 01, 2010 3:17 PM
  • I had problems installing update KB977074 and KB976972
    I would tell it to restart to apply updates, after getting to about 60% it would restart my computer and I would have both listed as failed.

I resolved this by only selecting to install update KB976972 then after successful install I selected KB977074.  Now both updates are installed.

Hope this helps someone

Windows 7 64-Bit  AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+   Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5   6GB RAM
    Monday, February 01, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Sorry that did not help me
    Monday, February 01, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi Super Sarge,

Would you please double check the troubleshooting suggestions I provided above.

If it does not work, would you please also upload the Process Monitor log for our further research.

Run Process Monitor

=====================

1. Please download "Process Monitor" from the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

2. Right click on the downloaded file and click "Extract All…".

3. Follow the instructions on the screen to extract all the files to a folder, such as "ProcessMonitor".

4. Open the "ProcessMonitor" folder and double click on the "Procmon.exe" file to launch the program.

Note: Please click Yes when we receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.

5. Click "Filter" -> "Reset Filter" to reset the filter.

6. Click the "Capture" (Reading glass) button on the toolbar to stop the current capture and click the "Clear" (Eraser) button to clear the contents.

7. After that, please try to perform a Windows Update process.

8. Before the error occurs, please click the "Capture" (Reading glass) button in the ProcessMonitor program to start capture.

9. When we receive the original error message, please click the "Capture" (Reading glass) button again to stop the capture.

Note: By doing so, we are able to track the entire problematic processes.

10. After that, please click the "Save" button to save the log and send it to me. I will help you analyze it on my side.

I understand that the steps are complicated and time-consuming. Your continued patience and cooperation are highly appreciated.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Hi Super Sarge,

Would you please double check the troubleshooting suggestions I provided above.

If it does not work, would you please also upload the Process Monitor log for our further research.

Run Process Monitor

=====================

1. Please download "Process Monitor" from the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

2. Right click on the downloaded file and click "Extract All…".

3. Follow the instructions on the screen to extract all the files to a folder, such as "ProcessMonitor".

4. Open the "ProcessMonitor" folder and double click on the "Procmon.exe" file to launch the program.

Note: Please click Yes when we receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.

5. Click "Filter" -> "Reset Filter" to reset the filter.

6. Click the "Capture" (Reading glass) button on the toolbar to stop the current capture and click the "Clear" (Eraser) button to clear the contents.

7. After that, please try to perform a Windows Update process.

8. Before the error occurs, please click the "Capture" (Reading glass) button in the ProcessMonitor program to start capture.

9. When we receive the original error message, please click the "Capture" (Reading glass) button again to stop the capture.

Note: By doing so, we are able to track the entire problematic processes.

10. After that, please click the "Save" button to save the log and send it to me. I will help you analyze it on my side.

I understand that the steps are complicated and time-consuming. Your continued patience and cooperation are highly appreciated.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thanks Arthur
    The error does not occur during the update in Windows the update works fine. The error occurs on reboot-it gets to 67 percent and then fails and reverts back.
    So as best as I can figure out this set of instructions you sent will not work
    My system has not been hijacked , I have had no problem with internet
    I just tried sending you my latest windows update log
    I can not do it as a iget an error when trying to upload
    I give up.
    My machine is stable and have had no problems.
    This update has to be addressed by MS
    But I am  getting tired of jumping through hoops.
    As you can see I am not the only one having this problem
    • Edited by Super Sarge Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:41 AM further information
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:14 AM
  • According to another thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/38ebde00-c371-4e2c-a63e-bcac1ac94e57, some people cannot start computer normally after installing the update KB977074.

At that point, you’d better wait for the next stability and reliability update.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Hi All,

This issue has been reported. We are trying to analyze the log files and narrow down the causes.

Would you please send me the following information for analyzing.

\windows\logs\CBS.log

\windows\WindowsUpdate.log

\windows\inf\Setupapi.dev.log

For your convenience, I have created a new workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=1ac73745-0b80-4cb0-9da6-e3446f51c7f5

Password: ulgpzl-]#G

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:08 AM
  • This happened with me. After installing KB977074, my Windows 7 x64 (PT-BR) hangs on logon screen (logon screen appears, but mouse does not function anymore and logon does not proceed or a black screen is presented). I used safe mode to remove this update and my Windows is Ok again.

Best Regards.

Teobaldo.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:07 PM