none
C-Media 8738 sound card - Windows 7 64bit

Question

• Hi everyone just recently jumped on the W7-64b bandwagon and I'm having some issues with this sound card.

I couldn't get any of the W7 beta drivers from C-Media's website to install correctly.

Every time I tried to install them I would get an error. 

"Please plug-in C-Media PCI Audio Device device!"

So I went into the device manager and manually installed them. 

Now when I use my microphone I sound like a chipmunk juiced up on speed, which really isn't an option seeing as I talk to people on my PC a lot.

Also when I have my sound up more than halfway I hear some sort of static.

Help a member of the armed services out here fellas!

Friday, March 12, 2010 6:31 AM

Answers

• Just be sure to find one that is definitely supported for Windows 7. That Creative card looked like the best deal price-wise.

Good Luck and stay safe!

Catch a few pirates for me.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

To make a device work properly in Windows 7, we need to make sure the device is compatible with Windows 7 and there is a proper driver available. Regarding this issue, it is recommended that you contact C-Media support and see if they have some constructive suggestions or there will be a new driver available.

Otherwise, you may need to get a new device which is compatible with Windows 7. Meanwhile, I would like to share the following site with you, from it, you can check the compatibility information about software and hardware:

Windows 7 Compatibility Center

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hi rwbrahm,
    Which computer or motherboard uses this device?

Is it a plug-in device or on-board device?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Nano.

Its a PCI card, not onboard.

Friday, March 12, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Enter the bios and disable the onboard sound.

Boot to Windows

Then enter Device Manager and right-click the C-Media device and select update drivers. Let Windows search.

When that is complete close out of device manager and restart.

Then test.

What's the result?
    • Edited by Nano Warp Friday, March 12, 2010 7:20 PM correct typos
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:18 PM
  • I did all of the above and its still the same.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:31 PM
  • C'mon, your pulling a fast one here. You're boot camping an Apple. Visit their forum. The apple audio is a pain on it's own, lights on or off, mic won't work, etc.

If it is a pci card for Windows, who is the manufacturer? C-Media makes the chips. The manufacturer should have drivers.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:39 PM
  • You lost me there. I'm not pulling a fast one. I'm not boot camping an Apple. 

My machines an ibuypower custom PC. 

I had onboard sound for a long time but I was transferred to Anchorage, Alaska and that place was loaded with static electricity and it zapped my on-board. So I went an bought a sound card from amazon.

I contacted startech and they said to get the latest drivers from cmedia.

Friday, March 12, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Ok, I had to find out. Sorry to poke at you like that.  I guess StarTech doesn't carry these anymore. Not in their product list anymore, so that's why they said go elsewhere. 
    Do you have sound to the speakers?

Do you have driver version 8.17.40, 2010-02-09?

I downloaded the drivers and extracted the folder. I see the drivers inside of the folder named PCI-8738-091211-7.12.8.1740(W7-RC-01. There is an executable named setup.

What error or message did you get when you ran setup from inside of the folder?

Have you tried the Hardware Troubleshooter in the Action Center?
    1. Right-click on the flag in the notification area of the taskbar(low right)
    2. Select Troubleshoot a problem.
    3. Select Hardware and Sound
    4. You can select either configure a device or troubleshoot audio recording (mic in) If you have sound out to speakers work on the recording.
    5. Follow the wizard

What's the result?   

The Microsoft update catalog has only W2K and XP drivers for the CIM8738 device.

The next step will be to download a Vista driver or use the driver you have and try the How to: Install Hardware device driver in compatibility mode. You'll right-click on that setup file and select compatibility, follow the tutorial and select Vista 64-bit or Win 7RC if it provides that choice.

It seems that it may not be compatible. There are not many PCI audio cards at a reasonable price for Win 7. 

Newegg has the Creative X-FI card and Creative has Win 7 drivers

Post back with your result. Let's get this working!

Thank you for being there watching over us in the lower 48.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Ok here we go.

Yes I have sound to my speakers. Its good unless I get to around 75 % then i get a kinda weird static if no sound is playing.. but once sound starts.. it stops.

I have those latest drivers. But when i run the executable it tells me I need to insert my C-Media PCI card. Go figure.

So since that didn't work I installed the drivers manually.

Thats how I got sound working but my mic sounds like a chipmunk on speed.

I did the action center steps you told me and it said it detected no issues.

I also had tried installing the vista drivers w/ compat mode as well. No joy.

Trust me in regards to the other sound cards.. Ive been eying them up.

But I would love to get what I got working if possible! :D

And you are welcome. Im actually back in my home town of Houston for the Coast Guard ... I missed the continental! :D

Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:34 AM
  • The only option I can suggest is to right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area and select the playback and recording devices separately. There should be  settings for default devices and some additional settings in the properties tab.

Perhaps those can help tune the mic and output behavior.

Are they there for this device?

Did it help?

Looking at the product options C-Media has software for tuning the voice input named Xear. http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDetail.aspx?page=p&C1Serno=25&C2Serno=28&PSerno=30

Did you get a disk with the card with that application on it. Perhaps that is necessary.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Well if thats the last option we've reached the end of the road!

I've gone through all of the windows sound options toying tweaking etc to no avail.

As far as the software is concerned it did come with some and I've also gone through all those options as well. I can do tuns of stuff with it but none of it fixed my mic issues.

Thanks so much for all of your help Nano!

At least I can say we tried it all and I can feel comfortable with buying a new, better sound card.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Just be sure to find one that is definitely supported for Windows 7. That Creative card looked like the best deal price-wise.

Good Luck and stay safe!

Catch a few pirates for me.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

To make a device work properly in Windows 7, we need to make sure the device is compatible with Windows 7 and there is a proper driver available. Regarding this issue, it is recommended that you contact C-Media support and see if they have some constructive suggestions or there will be a new driver available.

Otherwise, you may need to get a new device which is compatible with Windows 7. Meanwhile, I would like to share the following site with you, from it, you can check the compatibility information about software and hardware:

Windows 7 Compatibility Center

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Hi guys when I found this thread I thought Yes! not just me...I'm trying to use the Trust sound card   which uses the C-Media software S/PDIF in/out puts and trying both Audacity and Adobe Audition when recording get the same problem, recording plays back pitched up!(does this mean it being recorded slow?)...Oh by the way when recording with the windows media recorder there is no problem!

Please help!!! don't really want to buy another new card,this can't be the end :-(

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:31 PM
  • I just found this forum thread 5/4/12 after buying a new C-media sound card  (Sabrent SBT-SP6C from Microcenter) and having the exact same issue: I sound like a chipmunk on Windows 7.  What's strange about my case is that it worked for a while and suddenly started this chipmunk thing.  I've tried all of the above troubleshooting and still haven't found a resolution.  I'll update this post if I find a fix.
    Saturday, May 05, 2012 11:32 PM