Windows 8 problem with Acer T231h Touch Monitor and edge gestures.

Question

• I posted this question 6 days ago with no response but I guess I put it in the wrong section as it is a hardware compatibility problem.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/679e60ef-7d11-480a-a0ab-142e9b15f65f

The issue is that Windows 8 seem to expect the edge gestures to start at the first pixel.  On this screen it has a raised bezel but the touch area goes right up to the bezel so that when your finger touches it it starts in a few pixels away from the edge and windows 8 does not recognize this.   I tried recalibrating many times.  I have put in a case with acer to see if there is any way of resizing the screen display smaller ie away from the edges but no response so far.

Here is a youtube video of the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSbJZvV7a6I

Any suggestions on solving this problem? or another place to post it that will bring this issue to someone's attention?

Thanks..

Friday, March 09, 2012 8:11 PM

Answers

• Not the answer I want but you cannot get a response from too many people at Microsoft higher than this....

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/03/28/touch-hardware-and-windows-8.asp

From: Steven Sinofsky at microsoft (Basically in charge of windows 8)

@MikeInParadise -- I have this same display.  It is a very nice display but the bezel is not something that will work well.  It is possible to have a display with a bezel and meet our touch sensitivity/edge standards, but you would need a larger margin around the screen (the Sony L series desktops in 2012 have this).

We have to design Windows for a combination of compatibility and moving forward to hardware that is still being developed.  At the same time, hardware makers have to create hardware for today's software and the software still being developed.  Release over release transitions always show where these trajectories didn't come together.  That's the point of the work we are writing about here.  We're multiple partners working together on as many product development timelines and each has current and future roadmaps being aligned.  So not every current product can work with every future product, even with the best of intentions.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike, I posted a response in your original post. I then looked at the ACER user guide, and on the last page only! is a reference to touch features for Windows 7

After connecting the Acer touch monitor T231H to your notebook or desktop PC, you need to set up your touchscreen functions:

1. Go to Control Panel and click Hardware & Sound. 2. Click tablet PC settings, and a window will pop up. 3. Click the setup button in the configure section; enable the touchscreen function on the touchscreen (not the notebook screen) by touching the screen with your finger. 4. Click the calibrate button.

They really are not very helpful. So, Win 7 and perhaps Win 8 does have a calibration utility.

I would still use the Acer drivers also.

I assume that you have connected the usb cable as well as the display cable.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Hi... Thanks for the response. 

This was the first thing that I did with the monitor.   I have played with this many times.  

I even tried fooling the calibration by selecting points in away from the screen.   That helps a bit with edge gestures but then all the rest of your touches on the rest of the screen have their x,y co-ordinates off.

Acer's offical response is Window 8 not supported too bad, so sad!

Sunday, March 11, 2012 2:52 PM
  • I have unmarked this as the answer.  

It would be nice to hear from Microsoft as to how you expand the edge area that edge gestures look for in order to use the millions of existing touch devices with a bezel.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:07 AM
  • did you find a fix for this yet?  this is extremely frustrating with my 7" touch screen as well.  thanks
    • Edited by Kevinb721 Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Not the answer I want but you cannot get a response from too many people at Microsoft higher than this....

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/03/28/touch-hardware-and-windows-8.asp

From: Steven Sinofsky at microsoft (Basically in charge of windows 8)

@MikeInParadise -- I have this same display.  It is a very nice display but the bezel is not something that will work well.  It is possible to have a display with a bezel and meet our touch sensitivity/edge standards, but you would need a larger margin around the screen (the Sony L series desktops in 2012 have this).

We have to design Windows for a combination of compatibility and moving forward to hardware that is still being developed.  At the same time, hardware makers have to create hardware for today's software and the software still being developed.  Release over release transitions always show where these trajectories didn't come together.  That's the point of the work we are writing about here.  We're multiple partners working together on as many product development timelines and each has current and future roadmaps being aligned.  So not every current product can work with every future product, even with the best of intentions.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:50 PM
  • I was having the same problem with the same monitor as well.  I was able to resolve it though by adjusting the screen size via my nvidia control panel.  With this, you can shrink the screen a bit.  My final resolution was 1900x1068, so I am losing a bit of screen real estate, but very happy with the results given that the monitor actually works now with Win8.  I had to recalibrate the touch screen after though.  Ive read a few of your posts regarding this, so note that going to the bottom left hand corner with your finger isnt supposed to bring up the start menu.  You swipe in from the right and it brings up the charm menu and you click start from there.  You should go over: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2012/03/08/getting-around-in-windows-8.aspx.  I was also frustrated with the start menu not showing up, but after reading that I realized its not supposed to.  

Anyway, hopefully you have an nvidia or ati graphics card that allows you to adjust the screen size for overscan/underscan so you can shrink you edges.  The monitor now works awesome with Windows 8.

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Thank you .

That is good to know.  I had this thought originally but the problem is that the test system has an ATI HD3850 card in and it will not scale. Now I know that ati just released 12.3 so maybe I will have to try this again.  Also I will have to try this with an NVIDIA Card or see if there is a new windows 8 driver for the ATI. 

In the mean time I pulled the monitor off the test system and put it on my everyday system running windows 8 in virtual box under window 7 but the touch is even worse this way.

I have kinda given up on this for a while and might drop windows 8 on my main system which has more uptodate hardware and give it a try although other than touch the performance was fine on the E2200, 4 GB  HD3850 system.

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Here is an interesting video covering the issues with touch hardware in windows 8 from Microsoft. http://huntall.com/windows-8-problems-touch-screens
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:32 PM
  • Hi guys

Firstly, I see the response from Steven Sinofsky as a useless piece of typical microsoft-speak.  I bought one of these monitors two days ago for the specific purpose of using it with Windows 8.  Words fail me to describe how angry I was after I realized what the problem was.  The "solution" of underscanning the display, even if I found that acceptable, is not available to me in my Toshiba laptop with embedded Intel graphics.  Sinofsky is basically telling me to go out and buy an up-to-date monitor instead of admitting that Microsoft dropped the ball yet again.

It seems to me that the problem with this monitor is not quite how it's described here.  It's not that your finger can't reach in far enough into the corner, rather that the touch sensors don't quite align with the actual edge of the picture.  It isn't that you can't reach it with your finger, a fingernail would easily do it but there's nothing there.  Actually, no, I am touching it in the very corner right now and the screen is showing that it knows I'm there, so there is something wrong here, and I don't think it's Acer's fault.

• Edited by freddyzdead Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:18 AM