none
Windows 8 wont upgrade due to Realtek Card Reader

Question

• I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere. 

I am upgrading to windows 8 and it constantly keeps asking to uninstall the Realtek PCIe Card Reader. I have uninstalled it, let it install itself again once ive restarted the computer, disabled it instead. uninstalled the driver via device manager. ive tried all I can think of and it still thinks it is there. I dont know where else to look 

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:54 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem. I removed the application from Programs and Features and in "Advanced System Settings" found under "System" I went to the hardware under "device installation settings" I made it not install new devices automatically but that still did not resolve the problem. I went into regedit and did a search from "Realtek" then removed all entries related to the card reader. Let me know if this resolves your problem.

Thanks,

Zach

Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:16 AM
  • I am having the same issue. I am doing the upgrade to a HP Folio 13 Ultrabook. The first time I went through the upgrade process it told me which programs to uninstall before it could continue, Realtek Card Reader is one of them. I uninstalled the programs it asked tried the upgrade again, it says you must restart for some things to get in order, well DUH. Then just as I knew would happen, upon restart the computer automatically installed the Driver for Realtek Card Reader but doesn't place it back into the programs and features to uninstall. Just a wee bit frustrating. So now I would like to remove the driver than doesn't show up any where? How does one accomplish that?

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Zachary_N Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Monday, November 05, 2012 5:46 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is your computer model?

I suggest updating the chipset and installing this driver for Windows 8 to check the result.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 26, 2012 7:17 AM
  • I am having the same issue. I am doing the upgrade to a HP Folio 13 Ultrabook. The first time I went through the upgrade process it told me which programs to uninstall before it could continue, Realtek Card Reader is one of them. I uninstalled the programs it asked tried the upgrade again, it says you must restart for some things to get in order, well DUH. Then just as I knew would happen, upon restart the computer automatically installed the Driver for Realtek Card Reader but doesn't place it back into the programs and features to uninstall. Just a wee bit frustrating. So now I would like to remove the driver than doesn't show up any where? How does one accomplish that?

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Zachary_N Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Monday, November 05, 2012 5:46 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 9:20 PM
  • I had the same problem. I removed the application from Programs and Features and in "Advanced System Settings" found under "System" I went to the hardware under "device installation settings" I made it not install new devices automatically but that still did not resolve the problem. I went into regedit and did a search from "Realtek" then removed all entries related to the card reader. Let me know if this resolves your problem.

Thanks,

Zach

Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Exact same issue here, also with the HP Folio 13.  I followed Zachary_N's advice and did the "no automatic driver installs" and ran regedit and removed all mentions of the Card Reader and voila, it worked.

Sys Admin

Sunday, December 02, 2012 9:15 AM
  • I have HP Pavilion dv6 notebook and have tried all the above fixes including Zac's but I cannot proceed past Windows 8.1 complaining Realtek PCIE card reader. I have uninstalled and disabled the card reader and removed all entries related to RealTek PCIE Card Reader. But the upgrade still complains about it.

Its a shame that Microsoft can advice compatibility and let me proceed with the install. Very frustrating and disappointing.

Friday, November 08, 2013 7:29 PM