none
Performance of Windows 7 On Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop

General discussion

• Hello.  I figured i'll wirte a little blog here to give every one the low down on the progress of Windows 7 one of two computer I own that are running it.

Before I start here are the SPEC'S of my testing computer:

Dell Inspiron 1525.
    15.4-inch WXGA (1280 x 800) CCFL TrueLife (glossy) screen
    2.0GHz Core 2 Duo T7250 processor
    2GB DDR2-667 SDRAM
    250 GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD
    8x Dual-layer DVD±RW drive
    Video: Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    Wireless: Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card
    LAN: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
    Mobile Broadband: Dell Wireless integrated mobile broadband mini-cards Sprint and Verizon serice
    Media Card: Richo 8-in-1 flash memory reader
    2 MP built in Creative Webcam
    Sigmatel 5.1 sound
    6-cell battery pack.

So with that out of the way, here goes.  After completing the install i was amazed, for the fact it was the very first time I have NEVER had to install ANY device drivers for windows, Whats more surprising is i'm running the 64bit version of windows 7.  I have notice a number of changes to my systems performance for the good.  The first change would be the load on the ram, I'v took notice that i'm only use 35 percent of my ram at idle then compared to windows vista home premium where i was chewing up just over 50 percent, THATS a big diffentes right there.  The other change would be in the heat department.  Since i'v started to use Windows 7 my computer seem to be running cooler even durning extreme loads, a fan speed report shows my peak has been no more then  54 degrees celsius, where with vista i was hitting 79 degrees celsius .  And last but i'm sure not going to be least, my run time on the battery. My run time on the battery has increased by at least 75 percent no question about it.

My next test will be on a more powerful machine thats was built for gaming and i'll be giving it the ultimate stress test.

I'll keep every one posted.

P.S only one crash in internet Explore in a week, that another inprovment right there, i'm down 199 crashes a week in internet explore using vista...HAHA

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:42 AM

All replies

• Thank you for your share
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:39 AM
  • Hello.  I figured i'll wirte a little blog here to give every one the low down on the progress of Windows 7 one of two computer I own that are running it.

Dell Inspiron 1525.
    2GB DDR2-667 SDRAM
    250 GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD
    Mobile Broadband: Dell Wireless integrated mobile broadband mini-cards Sprint and Verizon serice
    Sigmatel 5.1 sound
    6-cell battery pack.

So with that out of the way, here goes.  After completing the install i was amazed, for the fact it was the very first time I have NEVER had to install ANY device drivers for windows, Whats more surprising is i'm running the 64bit version of windows 7.  I have notice a number of changes to my systems performance for the good.  The first change would be the load on the ram, I'v took notice that i'm only use 35 percent of my ram at idle then compared to windows vista home premium where i was chewing up just over 50 percent, THATS a big diffentes right there.  The other change would be in the heat department.  Since i'v started to use Windows 7 my computer seem to be running cooler even durning extreme loads, a fan speed report shows my peak has been no more then  54 degrees celsius, where with vista i was hitting 79 degrees celsius .  And last but i'm sure not going to be least, my run time on the battery. My run time on the battery has increased by at least 75 percent no question about it.

My next test will be on a more powerful machine thats was built for gaming and i'll be giving it the ultimate stress test.

P.S only one crash in internet Explore in a week, that another inprovment right there, i'm down 199 crashes a week in internet explore using vista...HAHA

Hey, I have a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop with dell 1390 wireless card. When i'm using windows 7, somethimes my signal is sttoped and turn on again after few minutes. What's the version driver that you're using on your computer?

Thanks,

Rodrigo
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 4:35 PM
  • i'm running the dell Wireless 1395 WLAN mini-Card driver. Also as a side note for you. i was also running in to the same problem with windows Vista, every so often i would be bumped down to limited connectivity then down to nothing at all, while the other computer remained online. i'v had it had twice so far in windows 7, i solely blaming the cheap wireless cards in the dell computers, hints why i invested in a d-link USB G wireless card, and yet to have one dissconnected.

I hope this helps you out, 
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 6:15 PM
  • I have to agree there, my systems was having issues left and right with Vista 32 bit alone.
     How ever upon loading Windows 7 I too have noticed major performance changes on my Inspiron 1525. only draw back is that Dell's suport center doesn't give us our service tag number and express code.

one note to make. cooler operation means longer life of one lapt top.
     I also can edit video a lot better.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:56 PM
  • More details about my computer  

Component Details Subscore Base score
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHz 3.5
      Determined by lowest subscore
    Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB 4.4
    Graphics Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - Prerelease WDDM 1.1) 3.1
    Gaming graphics 251 MB Total available graphics memory 4.9
    Primary hard disk 103GB Free (112GB Total) 5.0
    Windows 7 Ultimate

System  
      Manufacturer Dell Inc.
      Model Inspiron 1525
      Total amount of system memory 1.00 GB RAM
      System type 32-bit operating system
      Number of processor cores 1
      64-bit capable Yes
    Storage  
      Total size of hard disk(s) 112 GB
      Disk partition (C:) 103 GB Free (112 GB Total)
      Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
      Media drive (G:) CD/DVD
    Graphics  
      Display adapter type Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - Prerelease WDDM 1.1)
      Total available graphics memory 251 MB
            Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB
            Dedicated system memory 64 MB
            Shared system memory 187 MB
      Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.1749
      Primary monitor resolution 1280x800
      DirectX version DirectX 10
    Network  
      Network Adapter Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card
      Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
    Notes  
      The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.

A Heck of a lot better then  what Vista was giving me :)

Monday, May 25, 2009 5:24 PM
  • i'm running the dell Wireless 1395 WLAN mini-Card driver. Also as a side note for you. i was also running in to the same problem with windows Vista, every so often i would be bumped down to limited connectivity then down to nothing at all, while the other computer remained online. i'v had it had twice so far in windows 7, i solely blaming the cheap wireless cards in the dell computers, hints why i invested in a d-link USB G wireless card, and yet to have one dissconnected.

I hope this helps you out, 

never had an issue here on my Inspiron 1525, I loaded the drivers through the "up dates".
    really want to know a good stress test for ones lap top? Edit some video, that will stress it out lol..especialy when one has to reconvert the media..eeerrg...but gaming will stress it out too...heehee

Treid to go back to Vista and dear lord that was a night mare, I found out in part some how I mannaged to load on a single partition? there waqsn't 2 partions..at any raqate I realy like how I can access all my files jsut by going to the left hand side, No more having to cut and paste to get to my video files YAY
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Just noticed that I am running one core..oops better fix that
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 2:50 PM
  • " no more then  54 degrees celsius, where with vista i was hitting 79 degrees celsius . "

Because the core frequency of display card has been auto reduced,most of new card drivers provide the feature,but it 's not a good thing always

• Edited by HomeRookie Saturday, June 06, 2009 11:15 PM
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Did you do a clean install? In my case, with the same configuration, IE8 won't load unless run as administrator, and won;t display CNN. The sound also goes crazy when starting the browser, and won't turn off until another. real sound starts, like clicking on the volume adjust control.  I don't know if it's worth trying a clean install, or even if I can with an upgrade vbersion.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:46 PM
  • i recently upgraded my vista to Win7 ultimate on my Dell inspiron 1525. i also saw a great difference in the performance. but think that i would like to point out is that previously my graphics memory went down from 128MB to 64MB. this resulted in problems while playing PES10 which was working fine previously. 

Is there any solution for this? Can i increase the Video RAM manually? i would really like to know as my laptop doesnt allow me to get a graphics card installed and i can only use Intel 965 Express Chipset family one.

would really like to get solution for this

thanks
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:12 AM
  • I just did a fresh install of Win 7 on 1525 and i have one problem, if i look into Device manager it shows that i have missing two Base System Driver. Anyone knows what drivers are missing?

Thanks.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 6:49 PM
  • I just did a fresh install of Win 7 on 1525 and i have one problem, if i look into Device manager it shows that i have missing two Base System Driver. Anyone knows what drivers are missing?

Thanks.

Install the Vista Ricoh drivers from Dell under chipset.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 4:39 AM

Dell Inspiron 1525.
    2GB DDR2-667 SDRAM
    250 GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD
    Sigmatel 5.1 sound
    6-cell battery pack.

Hey, I have a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop with dell 1390 wireless card. When i'm using windows 7, somethimes my signal is sttoped and turn on again after few minutes. What's the version driver that you're using on your computer?

Thanks,

Rodrigo
    i need  drivers for dell inspiron1525   Intel Core 2 Duo T5550    for  windows7 help me please send driver detail to my email id smilesunil.1989@gmail.com
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Dell Inspiron 1525.

2.0GHz Dual T3200 processor

1GB RAM

i need ur suggestion about win7 for me

from where can i download the drivers.now i'm using vista ultima plz suggest me which windows id good for laptop.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Troy, it's been a while since you responded to this thread but I have a question...

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my Dell Inspiron 1525 which pretty much the same specs as you and I'm having an issue.

When my computer wakes up from sleep sometimes Explorer isnt responding and is forced to restart which isnt a huge issue because it doesnt really interrupt anything.  The biggest issue is the Volume control.  Whenever I try to change the volume or mute the volume Explorer stops responding and restarts.  What is the issue?  Are you having this issue?  I tried uninstalling the MS default audio driver and installed the Vista 64-bit one and it works but it still crashes.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Monday, November 08, 2010 11:08 PM
  • way is there any on how to improve its video card??? my procesor is intel celeron and i want to change it to an intel core i5... is that possible??? plss help
    Monday, November 22, 2010 6:27 AM
  • No that processor isn't compatible with the insprion 1525's motherboard here is a list of the compatible ones:

Intel® Pentium Dual Core Processor T2390 (1.86Ghz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache)
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache)
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache)  
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5800 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache) 
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache) 
    Make sure there socket P no M the older one.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Hi, I upgraded to windows 7 ultimate too. But I can't get my mic to work. It has the array microphone and it shows that is in working order ( i take it, that may be the built in mic, which has not worked for almost 3years) The line in- Microphone was working fine before i upgraded, and now it doesn't even detect it!! I un-installed sigmatel as i thought something had messed up as the new update was taken place, but it seems there is no compatible audio driver for windows 7 and sigmatel high definition audio.... Can anyone give me a solution as to how to get the mic back in good working order? I have the sound back so thats all good, just the damn mic is not working and on the skype it shows up that it cant detect my sound card..... :@ I'm so frustrated and have had it up-to my neck in searching and trying to resolve the issue. anyone, help...........................
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 3:43 PM
  • hi i use the same laptop model as mentioned in the begining of the post but wit 3 gb ram and 64 bit operating system... i recently upgraded to win 7 ultimate 32 bit. the display won work in 32 bit ..half the screen is always black !!! although i have tried to install the mobile 965 chip set driver it says the driver doesn support and exits ... now currently my display is in 16 bit ...... i tried installing the 64 bit version but it failed... ppls help me !!!
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hello, I have the same problem with my dell inspiron 1525 well did you every find a solution to the problem??
    Friday, March 18, 2011 11:47 PM
  • Could you find any solution to your problem as I just purchased a DELL Inpirion R15-0215 laptop and cannot get the array mic to worm. There is a lot of feed back when I try to record. Some times the recording is clear. When I use voice chat the audio is totally garbled. I am fed up as after trying to adjust my audio settings I am still not able to resolve the Audio problem. Can somebody help if he has some knowledge with the dell lap top. 
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:06 AM