none
usn journal verification completed, then hangs

Question

• I have a Windows 7 box where the hard drive appears to have crashed.  I removed the drive and connected it to another Windows 7 box and ran chkdsk with both (at different times) the /f and /c switches.  Both times it gets to the Usn Journal verification completed (having reported no errors) but then hangs.  It will hang for hours until I finally close down the command prompt.  Any ideas?  I've searched most help areas and can't seem to find a reason as to why this is happening.  I'll get a new drive if this is bad, but if not.....

Thanks for your help....

- steve

- steve
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

Please help collect the Check Disk log:

Please go to Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application, it should be under the winlogon entry, then look for Wininit.

You can refer to the following link to upload the information:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Also, you may refer to the following link to check if it gives you any hints:

Scandisk /chkdsk log file in windows 7

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, December 03, 2010 2:01 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:05 AM

All replies

• Seems like Chkdsk encountered an bad sector, which cannot be handled by the program.

Try to check the Hard Drive with diagnostic utility from your Hard Drive Vendor website.

Ryan Kim
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Please help collect the Check Disk log:

Please go to Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application, it should be under the winlogon entry, then look for Wininit.

You can refer to the following link to upload the information:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Also, you may refer to the following link to check if it gives you any hints:

Scandisk /chkdsk log file in windows 7

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, December 03, 2010 2:01 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:05 AM
  • Hi Steve,

How are you? I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance.  :)

Regards,

Sabrina

Monday, November 29, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Hi Steve,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Sabrina

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Same thing is happening to me, but haven't taken the hard drive out to independently test it.  I was getting a BOOTMGR is missing error.  I was able to get the Startup Repair started and it wasn't successful.  I thought the first time I ran it said it replaced the file.  But now I'm not so sure.  It says it can't replace the file.  Now when I start the computer and select start normally, it goes into Chkdsk mode and hangs. Suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

Monday, June 16, 2014 12:22 AM