none
"No Printers were found" Net work Printer Error

Question

• Im running Windows 7 Enterprise x64. When I try and add a network printer from our Print Server here in the office I get the following message:

Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000bc4). No printers were found.

I have tried manually adding the printer by browsing the print servers share and clicking on the print. I have tried manually adding by providing the the full share name of a printer. All result in the same error message above.

The fun part is everyone else in the office can use the print server just fine. Including my co-worker who is running Win7 Enterprise x64 bit as well. Yes we have x64 drivers installed on the print server, as well.

Any ideas?

Monday, July 12, 2010 3:24 PM

Answers

• Is the network in your office a domain or a simple workgroup?

Have you tried to following method?

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Devices and Printers.
    2. Click Add a Printer.
    3. Select "Add a local printer".
    4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.
    5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\<IP address of the host computer>\<The Share Name of the printer>

Then click Next.
    6. Select the correct driver in from the driver list. If the required driver is not present, click the “Windows Update” button. After the update finishes, search for the proper driver again.  

Also I suggest you verify if you have correct permission to access the printer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Hi Amazingracer,

I had the same problem a short while ago. The reason was, that i had an incompatible/old driver installed. My solution was to uninstall the printers and than to reinstall the network printer.

Ralf

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Amazingracer,

I had the same problem a short while ago. The reason was, that i had an incompatible/old driver installed. My solution was to uninstall the printers and than to reinstall the network printer.

Ralf

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Is the network in your office a domain or a simple workgroup?

Have you tried to following method?

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Devices and Printers.
    2. Click Add a Printer.
    3. Select "Add a local printer".
    4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.
    5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\<IP address of the host computer>\<The Share Name of the printer>

Then click Next.
    6. Select the correct driver in from the driver list. If the required driver is not present, click the “Windows Update” button. After the update finishes, search for the proper driver again.  

Also I suggest you verify if you have correct permission to access the printer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:07 AM
  • We are having the same problem, but on a 2008 R2 citrix server running xenapp6.   Group policy fails to connect printers because it receives this error.  None of the above methods for resolution are viable?

Also, this only happens when connecting to a specific print server (64 bit)... I can connect other print servers fine... There are 9 other servers that can connect to printers on the print server this one cannot connect to.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Terry D, same problem here, 5 citrix server, 4 no problem, one nothing but this error
    Friday, August 20, 2010 8:16 AM
  • We have exactly the same problem on 3 servers:

2008R2, XenAPP6 and HP Universal printer drivers.

Any idea?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Same thing here! 2 2008R2 with XenAPP 6 all patched one works the other does not. This is now critical. Anyone from Microsoft care to shed some light???

Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:28 AM
  • After some testing and generally messing about if I browse to the print server using \\ipaddress\ instead of the UNC path it works! Just to confirm if I browse using add printers or devices - (this uses UNC path) does nto work - displays the error 'Cannot connect no printer found' If I browse via Windows Explorer using servername - same result. If however I use the server's IP address I can connect and download the drivers. 

Great I now know that the UNC path name is causing this issue - I just do not know how to fix it! Any thoughts as all our printers and session printers are created using the UNC path name.

Can anyone else help with this? 

Monday, March 14, 2011 3:36 PM
  • It took a full day with the good guys from Microsoft to troubleshoot and resolve.

To ensure you have the same issue can you browse to the printer server where the printers are shared using an IP address only. i.e. \\10.100.1.x instead of \\printservername. If this works there is an issue within the registry relating to client side rendering.

On Windows 2008 R2 you can offload the print rendering to the client. However with RDS you do not want the session to try and render on the server. The fix is to delete the following reg key and reboot the server.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers

Please Note: Before making any changes to the registry please backup both the whole registry and the key you are about to delete. Also I am not responsible for any issues or damage that may arise. Once deleted reboot the server and that should be you ready to go! Let me know how you get on. This has had me scratching my head for weeks!!

Regards 

Alasdair

• Proposed as answer by 1koncrawford Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:54 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Alasdair,

Thanks heaps for this fix. Worked for me a treat.

I also had been working with one of my customers for a while also.

Regards

Andrew Stuckey

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Alasdair,

Another thanks from me. I have been suffering from occasional "missing" printers, tracked down to this issue. It has also fixed the hundreds of Printer Errors in the event log stating the printer cannot be found because the registry key is missing or corrupt.

Regards

Paul

Paul Ireland
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 4:04 PM
  • I had this problem many many times.Most of the time i found it is just corrupt drivers, this can be caused from accidently installing the wrong driver first and a range of other reasons.

I would first try to remove the print drivers. You can removed the driver package in win 7

just go, start/run type mmc

When the MMC opens, go to File/add-remove snap-ins

At this screen you want to select “Add the Local Server or Computer”, hit Finish, and then hit ok.

Then you can scroll down to your computer name, select the drivers tree and then right click on The driver you want to remove and select “Remove Driver Package”.

Sometimes i find that the driver will not remove because it is being used by another so in this case you will need to go to the registry and remove it manually.

Try going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Print > Providers > LanMan Print Services > Servers > Printers

also, take a look at and delete the printer from here HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Printers > Connections

Try www.thetechgroup.com.au , it worked for me!
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:50 AM
  • we too have just had this issue, and we fixed slightly differently from Alasdair response (after first trying his method)

net stop spooler

export (for safety!), and then delete this key and all contents: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print

reboot server

done!

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:41 AM
  • My issue started with all my print server printers disappeared. Restarted printer spool, rebooted, still gone.

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise x86.  I tried to reinstall a printer and received the same error as above "No Printers were found" after clicking next after selecting the printer on the print server.

I went into the registry and removed the following entries that related with the print server:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers\PrintServer 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\S-1-5-21-3495873385-1854009407-4249714947-1147\Printers\Connections

Restarted the print spool.

Then was able to reinstall the print server printers.

I know that other solutions pointed to the Print Server, but this issue only resided on this computer.

• Edited by WGTech Friday, March 02, 2012 2:42 PM typo
    • Proposed as answer by WGTech Friday, March 02, 2012 2:47 PM
    Friday, March 02, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Same thing happening here.  this is the second time with this issue.  The first time, MS issued another update which cleared up the problem.  The updates create havoc on the spools and leave us without a printer.  Using system restore I can go back before the last update and it allows me to use my printers.  But, if you are set up for auto update for Windows then it will resurface during the next shutdown.

I think the first problem was about this time in March.  Now the latest is the 11/16/12 update. 

Help Micro-Soft Tech masters...
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:44 AM
  • Thank you so much!!!!  Epic win finding this post!

Update:The fix gets the printers working again, but then issue is coming back (after the server restarts I believe)!  This is on a Win 2008 R2 box running XenApp 6.5.  The other two Xen servers do not seem to be suffering the issue.  Does anyone know what actually causes the problem to start?

• Edited by James Rytter Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:20 AM Update to issue.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Hello,

has someone solved this problem?

We have the same problem  with Xenapp 6.5 on Server 2008 r2 and  the used printers are

- Kyocera Taskalfe 3500 (KX 5.3 drivers)
    - Canon iR 3245, 4580 and 5550 with Canon ver 14.00 UFR II

it doesn't matter if the printer is connected by script, via \\<Printserver>\<Printer> or chosen via directory entry. Some of our 250 users became "printer not found". it affects different users, printers  and terminalservers.iot seems to going round. If the user tried to connect the same printer again after he get the error message it works.

is it possible to supress (maybe added parameter -q) and fetch the error code  via vbs script to create an automatic retry ?

best regards

Friday, September 27, 2013 11:21 AM
  • "I went into the registry and removed the following entries that related with the print server:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections" - Deleted the existing entry...

"Restarted the print spool."

BOOM!

Thanks heaps WGTech!

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:22 AM
  • This worked for me as problem was only on one laptop, not entire domain.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:29 PM
  • I have opened a MS case, they said all users on RDS server shared same printer cache. If one user account is locked out(user change password on their own workstaion use ctrl+alt+del ,when RDS ssesion still open). print spooler will always try to use this user to access printer on printer server , then mark the printer offline, and all users on RDS server cannot print.

Never give up

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:53 AM