none
Explorer crashes when a folder has many files in it.

Question

• I noticed this in the RP. Windows explorer frequently crashed when I open a folder that has a lot of files in it (hundreds or thousands). It would say it  stopped working and needs to restart. Now with the RTM it does the same thing except it just crashes and restarts without a message. somewhat annoying when you are in the middle of working and have to reopen all your folders again. It doesn't instantly crash as soon as a folder is open though. It can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. Any idea what's going on?
    Monday, September 17, 2012 2:29 PM

All replies

• I noticed this in the RP. Windows explorer frequently crashed when I open a folder that has a lot of files in it (hundreds or thousands). It would say it  stopped working and needs to restart. Now with the RTM it does the same thing except it just crashes and restarts without a message. somewhat annoying when you are in the middle of working and have to reopen all your folders again. It doesn't instantly crash as soon as a folder is open though. It can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. Any idea what's going on?
    ran into this over the weekend on the rp... i have folders with almost a mil files... this could be an issue.
    Monday, September 17, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Can you identify a specific number of files that causes it?  This is the first I've heard of this, but I may not have folders with enough files to cause the problem.

I mean, I find it easy enough to browse to, say, C:\Windows\System32, which has 3,079 items and see no problem.  That's certainly more than "hundreds".  I've also successfully been able to do a Windows Search that resulted in 84,154 items being displayed in Explorer, without any fault.

Have you reviewed your Shell Extensions (e.g., with a freeware program such as ShellExView)?  Is it possible you have added something to Windows Explorer that's causing problems?

What, specifically, do your event log entries say for these crashes?

Here's a "To Work" option to try:  Set your Folder Options to Open Explorer Windows in Separate Processes.  This should help minimize the impact if one window should crash.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Holy crap, how did I never notice that separate process function?! When I was using RP it happened all the time with a few folders. They all had at least a few thousand files. I assumed this would go away once the RTM came out but it hasn't. Recently on the RTM it is happening with a little over 400 files. Both folders had different file types in them, but they were all compressed archived files (zip, rar, 7z). When I went from RP to RTM I used the Windows 7 file transfer and moved the profile over. I was thinking along the same lines as Noel Carboni in that maybe there is something wrong with the shell and it was transferred over between installs. If I recall correctly, it happens on more than one machine. Might be a common piece of software I use. I will try opening the system folder and see if that crashes it as well as checking out the shell extensions. I have also looked for others having the issue but haven't really found anything.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:57 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem. if i open my download folder in windows 8 RTM, the explorer hangs for at least 1 minute. even if i set the seperate process option. when i try to scroll down, after the explorer is working again, it shows "not responding" for 15-30 seconds. it is related to windows defender! and i have the SAME PROBLEM(!) with vista & security essentials. only windows 7 has no problems. when windows defender has scanned all files, i can scroll with no problems. but if i log out or reboot, the problem happens again.
    Friday, September 28, 2012 6:39 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem . Explorer keeps crashing regardless if i change the folder settings  or not. Windows 7 explorer worked perfectly without crashing.I hate reopening windows when it crashes. Is there any fix for this?
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Did you install Windows 8 as an upgrade?  If so the fix is to reinstall it clean and fresh.

I've done a full year of File Explorer testing, ever since the RP, and most recently with the Enterprise evaluation version.  Explorer doesn't crash because of too many files in a folder.

If it's crashing for you, you have added something to it or have a problem with your system.  Windows 8 is new, and is likely to have many problems as it tries to work with drivers for different hardware, as it stresses hardware differently than its predecessor, as people try to integrate older or as yet incompatible software into it.

You're really going to have to spend some time troubleshooting, because for most issues - especially those not being experienced by a lot of other folks - there's likely not going to be an easy quick fix.

Best of luck.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:34 PM
  • I can confirm the exact Explorer behavior on Windows 2012 R2. And I just reproduced the error 4 times in a row for last few minutes. It happens always when I open shared folder on another computer that contains say 60 000 files (half .TIF half .PDF). Then I select 10000-15000 of them with SHIFT key and press SHIFT+DEL - a "Deleting files" dialog appears but somewhere at the end of deletion, it becomes "red" because other program meanwhile deleted some of the selected files. After "Delete files" becomes red, explorer.exe starts using 100% of one of my CPU Cores. After a minute or so, I can see "Skip" dialog (because the files are no longer found in the directory). When I press "Skip", the dialog disappears but the main explorer window is left unresponsive, with 100% of one of the CPU cores. I have started process explorer and created screenshot of explorer.exe threads and call stack of the thread, that uses 100% CPU. The thread that uses a lot of cpu tries to execute the following function:

SHLWAPI.dll!SHRegGetUSValueW+0x1a4

There are 3 more threads below it that have the same "Start address" but doesn't use so much CPU. The call stack of the first thread is the following:

ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xc0a
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeAcquireSpinLockAtDpcLevel+0x732
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x19f
    ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0xba4
    ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0x1821
    ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0x1a97
    ntdll.dll!RtlLeaveCriticalSection+0x29
    SHELL32.dll!Shell_GetCachedImageIndexW+0x7f6
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal860+0x94e9
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal893+0x1a6cf
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal860+0x8d0f
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal893+0x1a5cd
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!Ordinal111+0x9417
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!Ordinal111+0x1f680
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!Ordinal111+0x1f4c5
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!Ordinal111+0x1f4b4
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!Ordinal111+0x1f49a
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!Ordinal111+0x1f4b4
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x87d58
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x4ab6a
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x4a067
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x49fad
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x499a7
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x10cb
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal893+0xc84d
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal893+0xd778
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal893+0xd075
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal893+0x14039
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal893+0x14085
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal258+0x251c
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal258+0x24c0
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal893+0xc4a9
    SHLWAPI.dll!Ordinal534+0x73
    SHLWAPI.dll!Ordinal496+0x1bb
    SHLWAPI.dll!Ordinal496+0xb3
    SHLWAPI.dll!Ordinal288+0x51
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal860+0x22af
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal860+0x5231
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal860+0x5168
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal860+0x56a4
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x38859
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x3d964
    DUI70.dll!DirectUI::HWNDElement::StaticWndProc+0x4a
    USER32.dll!TranslateMessageEx+0x2a1
    USER32.dll!CallWindowProcW+0x9c
    USER32.dll!CallWindowProcW+0x18
    DUser.dll+0x1878
    USER32.dll!CallWindowProcW+0x9c
    USER32.dll!CallWindowProcW+0x18
    comctl32.dll!CreateUpDownControl+0x254d
    comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x2b4
    comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x7c
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!Ordinal131+0x1986
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x1edf6
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x1ed5e
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!Ordinal131+0x1986
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x205b3
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x20536
    comctl32.dll!DefSubclassProc+0x18b
    USER32.dll!TranslateMessage+0x1ea
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x53a0
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x9815
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x9f8b
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x9f22
    EXPLORERFRAME.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0xd40
    SHELL32.dll!Ordinal767+0x62f
    SHELL32.dll!SHGetPropertyStoreForWindow+0x1606
    SHELL32.dll!SHGetPropertyStoreForWindow+0x1752
    SHLWAPI.dll!SHRegGetUSValueW+0x2ba
    kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
    ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x21

After 10 or more minutes waiting explorer.exe to "finish", I just kill it from task manager.

• Edited by Georgi Ganchev Saturday, December 29, 2012 1:30 AM Missed trailing "W" in "SHRegGetUSValueW"
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Disable thumbnail generation in the Explorer options.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:37 AM