none
vmware fusion to hyper-v on Windows 8

General discussion

• I am trying to figure out if I can convert my VMWare Fusion images to Hyper-V images. I want to move from my Mac OS X running VMWare Fusion to Windows 8 running Hyper-V, I want to take my VMs with me. Is there a tool or method to do that. The only references I have found are out of date. 

Thanks
    --

Matt

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 5:54 AM

All replies

• Make sure and uninstall the VMWare integration components or
    additions, then use a tool to convert the VMDK to VHD. (see link)

You're probably going to have to reactivate whatever OS you have for
    the VM's because the virtual hardware is different.  Some VM's might
    not boot if they don't detect the hardware change well, and you're
    going to have to do repairs on the.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 1:49 PM
  • You could also just use VMware Player to maintain compatiblity between VMware's products on different platforms.
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:44 PM
  • That you could, or buy VMWare Workstation.  One gotcha is that you
    can't run VMWare products and Hyper-V at the same time.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:06 PM
  • I assume you are doing this on a Mac.

keep in mind you will lose some functionality going to Hyper-V.

Hyper-V was designed for server virtualization and is missing features you may take for granted:

Sound support, 3d graphics, usb redirection, etc.

Yes, there is a "work around" (more like a hack in my opinion) that allows some of this functionality if you connect to the Hyper-V VM through RDP as opposed to the console directly. But that solution has it's own problems: You must enable RDP on the VM and ensure network connectivity between host and guest (depending on the reason for the VM this is not always desirable or even acceptable).

Furthermore, if this is a MacBook Retina (with no Ethernet port), keep in mind you will need to share your wireless connection between host and guest. Bridging wireless connections does not work reliably under Hyper-V, resulting in network connectivity for both the host and guest dropping periodically. Again, there is a work around for this by creating an 'internal' hyper-v network between the host and guest and then enabling windows internet sharing on your wifi adapter. This has some strong limitations, i.e. the guest will be NAT-ted and the host will act as dhcp server and dns relay for the VM and is for all practical purposes, not configurable.

• Edited by MG42 Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Part of the reason I am doing this is to try out Hyper-V. I could also use VMware Workstation as I do on Windows 7.

Thanks
    -- Matt
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:08 PM
  • MG42, thanks for the warning. None of the problems you enumerated is a show stopper for me. I am a bit concerned about the networking, but I suppose it will be a learning experience.

Actually I am not doing this on my MBP, I am using a fairly recent Sony Vaio that I have Win 8 installed on.

Thanks
    -- Matt

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:12 PM
  • I have seen that tool, but I assumed that since it was last updated in 2006 it must be out of date. Have you used it on recent vmdk files?

Thanks
    -- Matt
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:15 PM
  • I only ever used it once, I rarely convert VM's between products and
    prefer to build new ones, but I don't think that's a concern, I
    haven't noticed any serious incompatibilities between vmdk's or vhd's
    when running older VM's in either product.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 12:11 AM
  • http://gabrielbeaver.me/2012/09/migrate-from-vmware-vms-to-hyper-v-windows-8/

Should work for you - step by step guide :-) 

-Marius

• Edited by Devilsown Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:17 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Marius is right. That is a good link for doing this.

That Gabriel is a cool cat with a sweet guide to do this, Good Luck ;)

-Gabe

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:10 PM
  • I appreciate your help, however this did not work for me in the end. I removed vmware tools, and converted the disk to a single file. I verified that it still worked in Fusion on my Mac. I copied it my Win8 system and converted it first with vmdk2vhd, then with 2Tware Convert VHD. In both cases the guest would not boot. I think the disk partitions got corrupted.

I was able to install a new guest into Hyper-V, so that works.

Having got some experience with Windows 8, I don't think it is worth making the change.

Thanks
    -- Matt Johnson

Friday, November 23, 2012 6:51 PM