none
Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (Error 0x00000006)

Question

• I have two printers shared from my Windows 2003 Server R2 server for which I get this connection error from Vista clients:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Operation could not be completed (Error 0x00000006)"

One of the printers is a Canon i960.  The other is a Brother HL-4070CDW, so I don't think it's a printer driver issue.

I can't find any explanation of this error anywhere. 

Anyone have an idea?

Monday, December 31, 2007 6:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

I have some questions regarding this topic.Are you clients standart domain or power users on his own pc's ? The reason why I am asking for that is,I know that some printer driver installations requires administrative rights and if these rights not available you may get this error.

In example a printer driver with an custom print processor requires more rights.It would be great if you can give us some additional information regarding your environment.If you are in a domain environment are you applying some policies regarding printing.

All additional information are welcome.Are you sure that you have set the policies that I mentioned previously explicit to enabled and disabled ?

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Error 0x00000006 is declared as ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE in winerror.h.This error occurs mostly if the client has not sufficent rights on his own pc.Create a test user with full administrative rights on his own pc and try to connect again.

Please also configure the mentioned below policies

Print Server

Local Computer Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers

Allow print spooler to accept client connections > is set to enabled

Vista

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers\

Point and Print Restrictions > is set to disabled

Package point and print - Approved servers > add the print server

Please inform us about the result !

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Monday, December 31, 2007 10:40 PM
  • Tried this, but no luck.  Same result.

I should add that I am able to connect to other types of printers in the directory (specifically a shared fax printer) without this issue.

Also, I seem to have one lucky vista machine that I managed to get to connect to these printers.  This machine is one that I at one time had connected either directly to these printers (the network-enabled Brother printer) or to an XP machine that was sharing it (the USB-connected Canon).

This could imply that I have some kind of driver issue with both, but it's not clear what it could be.  The other vista machines aren't even asking for elevated privileges or anything, just this error.

No matter what, it'd be nice if every new Vista machine that connects didn't need to go through some contortions to use these printers.  That's why I set up the print server...

Any additional thoughts?

-Jim

Monday, December 31, 2007 11:08 PM
  • Hello Jim,

Thanks for your post!

Analysis

According to your description, the problem may be a little complex. Some similar issues, based on my experience, are caused by incorrect driver.

Let’s firstly focus on Brother HL-4070CDW. As this model of printer doesn’t has in-box driver delivered with Windows Vista, if we just use older drivers in Windows Server 2003 R2 to run that, Windows Vista may not recognize it when trying to connect.

Test

Please try following steps to perform a test for this issue:

Note: To reduce potential risks to your business caused by this test, I highly recommend you to do it firstly in small scale. If necessary, please backup important data before the test.

On server side:

1.    Download the latest signed driver from the following website:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/dlf/000000/002800/dlf002811.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=hl4070cdw_all&type2=1&os=74&flang=4&dlid=dlf002811

Extract the driver package into a folder, for example D:\HL4070CDW_Driver\

2.    Temporarily disable the all firewalls or anti-virus applications on both server side and client side.

3.    Delete the Brother HL-4070CDW printers and drivers.

Start – Printers and Faxes – Right-click Brother HL-4070CDW and select Delete.

Right-click the blank area in Printers and Faxes Panel – Select Server Properties – Select driver for HL-4070CDWClick Remove.

4.    In Printers and Faxes, click Add a printer. Keep default options and click Next and Next.

5.    Select Have Disk, and then Browse to the location of driver, in this example, D:\HL4070CDW_Driver\. Open BROCH06A.INF.

6.    Keep default options and in Location and Comment. If you are in Active Directory environment, I recommend you to designate a location for future convenience. For example, Printer_Test.

7.    Finish the wizard.

On client side:

8.    If there is Brother HL-4070CDW were installed before, please remove it and the drivers firstly.

9.    Try to connect the printer again.

Hope it helps. If the steps above work, we will go on to fix the problem with Canon i960 or you can use the similar steps to test that printer.

If it fails to work, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, January 04, 2008 2:59 AM
  • No luck.  I completely removed any existing drivers both through the server properties interface and in the windows/system32... directory.  I re-added the printer and specifically chose the golden driver, It shows up on the client as before, and when I attempt to connect I get the same error 0x00000006.

So, there's a data point, I guess.

Happy to try anything else you have in mind.

-Jim

Friday, January 04, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Hi Jim,

I have some questions regarding this topic.Are you clients standart domain or power users on his own pc's ? The reason why I am asking for that is,I know that some printer driver installations requires administrative rights and if these rights not available you may get this error.

In example a printer driver with an custom print processor requires more rights.It would be great if you can give us some additional information regarding your environment.If you are in a domain environment are you applying some policies regarding printing.

All additional information are welcome.Are you sure that you have set the policies that I mentioned previously explicit to enabled and disabled ?

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:17 AM
  •  

I have just experienced the same problem (the 0x0000006 error).

I had set up a printer (Brother HL4040-CN) on our server and set up sharing as per normal. On Saturday everything worked fine and people were able to print no worries.

Now on Monday people are getting this error. Even I get this error and I am both a local administrator and a domain administrator.

We're stuffed for ideas.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:56 PM
  • I keep getting error 0x00000006 when trying to connect ANY network printer to VISTA (other network computers are all Windows XP).  It appears to be a windows vista problem.  It worked for a little while when I first connected them but now none of the printers connect and i get the same error 0x00000006.  How about returning Vista to microsoft as just a bad product?

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:34 AM
  • I have also just started receiving this message. Printing had been working until the day before yesterday. I have two Epson printers connected to an XP server and my Vista clients now receive this message. Based upon previous comments this is definitely not printer related but Vista related. Has there been a recent update that might have caused this? 

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:22 PM
  •  

Hi Mike,

could you check your system and applicaiton logs until the day before yesterday on your vista and xp clients.To do start > run > eventvwr.msc.

Please inform us if you see anything about printing.Maybe a driver update.

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:32 PM
  • I get the same error code 0x00000006 when trying to delete a CUPS printer that is on a tcp port (konica minolta 2530DL)
    i have also tried deleting the port from the admin elevated context menu "server properties" in the classic printer control panel.
    (port is at url "http://192.168.1.95:631/printers/ammaprint") - it reports back "The requested resource is in use."

i have rebooted several times, i have done "net stop spooler" delete spool files "net start spooler" and deleted all occurances of "ammaprint" from the registry. none of this helps.

what next ?

PS - I have also installed the same printer locally (via ethernet, but not thru a CUPS server)
     and I cannot print (I have tried this on 2 seperate vista laptops).

PLEASE help I am very frustrated with printing in vista
     (though i do like the rest of vista, including the UAC)

thanks,

mtm
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:44 AM
  •  

Hi all,

the reason of 0x00000006 can be different on different drivers.It is a generic failure (return code).In such as failures you can try to use an MS inbox driver from the same series.The functionality can be decreased but you will able to print.The basic functiobality will available.

Please contact also your hardware vendor to find out wich ms inbox printer driver works most properly with your printer model.

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Just joining in on the complaint. I've lost my entire weekend trying to get Vista to recognize printers behind servers that are connected via USB.

I have two Canon's .. an IP5200 and a Pro9000....the 5200 is behind a networked XP computer and the Pro9000 is on a technet usb printer server. The 5200 won't respond..get that error code...and the Pro9000 prints but there is a warning that the printer isnt responding...wonder if the ink control stuff etc is the issue. Connect these direct USB...no probs. I have two other XP PCs that network well but not the damn Vista one.

WhazzUP

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:38 AM
  •  

Try this :

Set up the Vista printer as a local printer and create a new port with a type of port : Local Port, in the enter port name put \\Servername\Printersharename and install the Vista driver, this seems to work for me. Obviously this is a Vista network printing issue

HTH

Nick

• Proposed as answer by Karan.T Friday, June 03, 2011 1:19 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:32 PM
  • I cannot locate this on my Vista PC:

Vista

Can you help me find this control?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Nick said:

Try this :

Set up the Vista printer as a local printer and create a new port with a type of port : Local Port, in the enter port name put \\Servername\Printersharename and install the Vista driver, this seems to work for me. Obviously this is a Vista network printing issue

HTH

Nick

---------

When I attempt to do so, after typing the port name and clicking OK, I get an error message:

"Not enough server storage is available to process this command"

I am attempting to hook-up a new Vista Ultimate PC to my home network and access the shared printer that hangs off of one of the XP Pro machines on the network.

This is the same error message I get when attempting to open a shared file from any of the XP machines as well.

I am tearing my hair out.

Mark

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:21 PM
  •  Kram_Sregor wrote:

I cannot locate this on my Vista PC:

Vista

Can you help me find this control?

Getting into this is easy, assuming you have the right permissions on your login profile. If not, the only way to get into this is by getting a domain administrator to assist you.... Otherwise.

1. Start > Run...

2. Type 'gpedit.msc'

3. Expand 'User Configuration', then 'Administrative Templates', then 'Control Panel', then 'Printers'

4. On the right, you'll find both 'Point and Print Restrictions' and 'Package Point and Print'. Double-click them to change their settings.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:00 PM
  •  

Hi Kram,

you can find the policies by Start > Run > Gpedit.msc > after that navigate to the policies.If you are using Home edition you will not able to open the group policy managment console.

The reason of error Error 0x00000006 can be different on different environemnts.It is more generic error.Hope it helps.

Regrads,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:37 AM
  • Very simple to fix. Go into account settings and disable the account control. It's the problem. Then install the printer, turn the account controller back on. The printer will still be there and working.

KMSALASKA........

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 11:20 PM
  • i'm also having the same problem and i dont think the solutions provided is solving the problem...  Is there any tech gurus out there that could help us?

Monday, August 11, 2008 3:59 AM
  • That worked great!

You da man Nick!
    Tuesday, December 09, 2008 1:03 AM

• Try this :

Set up the Vista printer as a local printer and create a new port with a type of port : Local Port, in the enter port name put\\Servername\Printersharename and install the Vista driver, this seems to work for me. Obviously this is a Vista network printing issue

HTH

Nick

This worked for me, thanks Nick! 
    Monday, July 20, 2009 11:24 AM
  • It worked for me too Nick. Thanks genius!!!!
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Nick, you are a rock. I could fix the issue. thanks
    Friday, June 03, 2011 1:20 AM
  • I tried all these tricks, including Nicks. didn't work. sorry this problem is unresolved.
    Doug
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:55 AM
  • I'd like to weigh in on this issue as well. I'm have the same problem on my samsung printer as well except it's hosted on a Win7 machine.  I have another samsung printer on a Vista system and have no problem printing to it at all.

The Win7 hosted printer was working fine untill it up and decided to start throwing Error 0x00000006 when printing from the client machine which is also win7. 

At first I thought it might be related to a series of security patches that auto installed around 10/14. I didn't catch them all but a couple were: kb958488, kb2564958.  I uninstalled them and it didn't fix it.

I tried the suggestion on this thread about making a new port \\servername\sharename and that did not work.  Actually it went into a loop in the print que.  adding the job and deleting it about 1000 times really fast, nothing ever printed. I had to cancel all job to make it stop.

So on the same machine I have an old LaserJet6l on a LPT1 port. (for you younglins that's a parallel port) :)  And it printed! It took 3 minutes to print a 1 page doc with just text, but it printed.  so my thoughts are maybe it has something to do with the USB printing support.

I can't believe that a simple printer share has turned into such a problem.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:40 AM
  • wanna step us through this? Your response isn't clear.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Hi i was just wondering i have the same error but i have some users who can print some who cant they all have the same rights and i dont understand why. just to clarify my domain admin works on a laptop but my generic user(non admin) does not
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 4:18 AM
  •   Gonna weigh in here as well.  Have the same issue with only one workstation;  just started today.  At first, the pc would take forever to conenct to a particular shared printer.  It deleted and readded fine, but then more long delay getting the properties, so I shut down and brought it back up.  Upon reboot, all shared printers were gone and attempts to connect to any shared printers on this server bring up the same 000006 error.  Server is 2003.

No other workstations (XP or 7) report the problem and all are using the same drivers.

Rich

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:54 PM
  • Typically this results from lack of permissions either on the network or on the local machine.

If you still receive this error, make sure you have the correct driver for the printer- if shared from another machine or deployed from a server, it may be trying to give your 32-bit machine a 64-bit driver which won't work. 

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hey Jim,

I was troubleshooting the same issue today.

Found the solution for my fix (nothing in this thread worked).

Here is how I resolved the issue: http://heineborn.com/tech/printer-problem-0x00000006-and-0x00000002/

http://heineborn.com

• Proposed as answer by J Heineborn Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:27 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:27 AM
  • I was having the same issue on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.  The only fix that actually works is this.

Navigate to the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers

Under Servers Key Remove anything related to the xyz print server or local machine.  Restart Print Spooler

Monday, March 03, 2014 5:20 PM
  • J-DKNY's suggest (above) just worked for me! 

Many thanks

Monday, March 10, 2014 3:24 PM
  • right click on your printer, go to printer properties under advanced change the driver to universal

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 8:30 PM
  • I just beat this to death as well on a client 2003 standard server. If your printers are being referenced by their "name", try to switch and reference them by their IP address instead. This did the trick for my issues with that 0x00000006 error message. Once I switched to referencing by IP and not the regular printer name, they started working after I changed the configs and restarted the spooler service.
    Friday, May 09, 2014 3:33 PM
  • try to put the user on the Print Operator Group to test.
    Friday, June 27, 2014 1:01 PM
  • I have a HP Color LaserJet 3800 network printer, using windows 2008 r2 as printer server, installed hp universal printer driver for both x64 and x32(86) driver, shared as printer101.

from windows 7 (32bit) client machine, run \\servername\printer101, it will pop above mentioned error message.

"Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Operation could not be completed (Error 0x00000006)" 

restart "printer spooler" service on windows 7 machine and run the command(\\servername\printer101) again, the printer installed successfully. 

for your information.

Wednesday, July 02, 2014 4:54 PM