none
Windows and security essentials stopped updating

Question

• I got the Windows XP Home Security 2012 virus on my computer.  I managed to clean it off by putting the drive in another computer and remote scanning it with malware bytes.  This removed the virus, but then programs still wouldn't open.  Then searched the registry and found "HKEY_ROOT/something/something/shell/exefile" and there was a key that pointed to <localuser>/Application Data/virus.exe in a couple of locations.

After removing those, all the programs appeared to work.  However, now my automatic updates are turned off and I cannot turn them on.  I can also not update windows manually.  Additionally, Microsoft Security Essentials will not update.  I have uninstalled and re-installed Microsoft security essentials and it will update upon installation, but will not update after that.  Mal-ware bytes will update no problem.

When I try to update Microsoft Security Essentials, I get this code: 0x80070424

I get the same code (Error number: 0x80070424) when the website searches for possible updates for windows.  I use windows XP Pro, service pack 3.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:34 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem and found the solution here:

http://www.techiecorner.com/112/error-number-0x80070424-in-windows-update-solution/

The command listed on that site fixed my windows update problem and didn't even require a reboot. 

Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:20 AM

All replies

• I had the same problem and found the solution here:

http://www.techiecorner.com/112/error-number-0x80070424-in-windows-update-solution/

The command listed on that site fixed my windows update problem and didn't even require a reboot. 

Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Awesome! this was exactly my issue, and this fixed the problem.

thanks JGrady!

Friday, November 18, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Thanks jgrady!  Went to the same website, and got the following info that corrected the problem in my Windows XP for MS Security Essentials Antivirus to work right, but not Windows Update:

Click: "Start" button. (in lower left corner)

Click:  "run: _______" block. (second column at bottom)

Copy and Paste the following in the "run" block:

%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL

Then hit "enter".

About 20-30 seconds later the computer indicated it succeed.  I was then able to get my MS Security Essentials virus and spyware signature updates to successfully download (though slowly) after that!

I still was unable to be Windows Update to work--it kept acting like the website wasn't there.  The Windows Update Mr. Fixit program would acknowledge there was a problem, say it fixed it and then say some locations where Windows Update stores data had changed and must be repaired.  Of course it didn't say how to repair this location.  So I kept looking.  I noticed in Windows Task Manager under the processes tab that "ping.exe" kept appearing it would start out using a few thousand kbs and slowly build up to tens of thousand and using all my memory and maxing out my CPU.  Upon further searching for "ping.exe" on the microsoft website I eventually found discussion about a ping.exe virus that masquerades as a valid ping.exe.  I found the following link that has some freeware anti-virus/spyware that sucessfully removed the viruse that MS Security Essentials wouldn't address until after I'd get an annoying ad pop-up that wouldn't go away.

Here is the link to the freeware that worked for me.  After using it the ping.exe stopped popping up, and I was FINALLY able to access the Windows Update:

http://www.spywareremovalhelp.org/virus-removal-help/how-to-remove-ping-exe-virus-on-windows-32-bit.html

I loaded the software, registered my name and e-mail, and did the quick scan--it took over an hour on the quick scan, but identified 15 infected files.  It then recommended doing another scan during a safe boot (pressing F8 repeatedly) during start up.  It found no other infections.  I rebooted again normally, and tried the Windows Update--It FINALLY WORKED!  I didn't download the Wise PC Doctor software to correct registry errors which was also mentioned in the above link, because everything seemed to be working now.  During the Windows Update It showed one security update to MS Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack that needed to be uploaded (KB2538243).  I downloaded and installed it successfully and Windows Update seems to be working fine now.

• Edited by jgaska Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:01 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 9:45 PM
  • I had a similar problem but with an error code of 0x80072EFF--unfortunately the Microsoft website troubleshooting tree didn't work for me.  It turned out to be the "ping.exe" virus that was causing my computer problems.  I was unable to get Windows Update to work--it kept acting like the website wasn't there.  The Windows Update Mr. Fixit program (I tried both the beta online and regular programs) would acknowledge there was a problem, and the beta version say it fixed it, and then said some locations where Windows Update stores data had changed and must be repaired.  Of course it didn't say how to repair this location issue.  So I kept looking.  I noticed in Windows Task Manager under the processes tab that "ping.exe" kept appearing for no apparent reason; it would start out using a few thousand kbs and slowly build up to tens of thousands and eventually using all my memory and maxing out my CPU.  I kept ending the process and the branch, but it kept coming back up.  MS Security Essentials Anti-virus didn't appear to find the infection or address until after I'd get an annoying ad pop-up that couldn't close.  Upon further searching "ping.exe" on the microsoft website to learn more about what it was, I eventually found discussion about a ping.exe virus that masquerades as a valid ping.exe.  The valid ping.exe allows you to measure how fast you internet connection is and uses a few hundred bits of memory.  The ping.exe virus appears on its own and uses thousands and then tens of thousands and keeps growing, bogging down your system and preventing access to the MS Windows Update website.  I found the following link that has some freeware anti-virus/spyware that sucessfully removed the virus for my computer.  After using it, it removed several infected files and the "ping.exe" stopped popping up.  I was FINALLY able to access the Windows Update website for updates (which I did need):

http://www.spywareremovalhelp.org/virus-removal-help/how-to-remove-ping-exe-virus-on-windows-32-bit.html

I loaded the free software from the article linked above, registered my name and e-mail, and did the quick scan--it took over an hour on the quick scan, but identified 15 infected files.  It then recommended doing another scan during a safe boot (pressing F8 repeatedly) during start up.  It found no other infections.  I rebooted again normally, and tried the Windows Update--It FINALLY WORKED!  I didn't download the Wise PC Doctor software to correct registry errors which was also mentioned in the above article link, because everything seemed to be working now.  After successfully accessing the Windows Update, it showed one security update (MS Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1) that needed to be uploaded (KB2538243).  I downloaded and installed it successfully and Windows Update seems to be working fine now.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Thanks JGrady + techiecorner.com. Worked like a charm after malware recovery.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 5:27 PM
  • This command resolved my XP issue with Microsoft Security Essentials updating as well. Thanks!
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:39 PM