none
Windows 7 "UPGRADE" Versions Work on OEM Vista or XP?

Question

• I learned today that Microsoft is giving us a pre-order period during which we can purchase the "upgrade versions" of Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional at significantly discounted prices.

My question is all of my computers have OEM XP or OEM Vista. Can I purchase those UPGRADE versions and install on my computers?

I read online that we cannot. On the other hand, I think many people have computers with pre-installed OEM Vista, and my guess is that Microsoft will let them purchase the upgrade versions of Win 7???

But I'm not sure. I really love Windows 7 and would like to upgrade ALL of my computers. Please let me know if the pre-orders (upgrade versions) work on my OEM machines. 

Lastly, can I use those disks to clean install on the same computers down the line?  and even if I swap the motherboard, HDD etc, can I still reuse the pre-ordered Win 7 so long as I install XP or Vista (OEM or full) first on the machine?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    • Edited by nycmoonstar Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:42 AM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:40 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can use the same license on a new PC as long as you uninstall it off the old machine. You will probably have to call Microsoft to activate it since you would have changed hardware.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:53 PM

All replies

• Where did you read that the pre-order upgrade Windows 7 cannot be installed on a computer that has an OEM OS?

Yes, you can install it on those PCs. You will need a license key for each PC, but you can certainly use one DVD to install from. The upgrade DVD will have both 32bit and 64bit versions and you can use it to do a "clean" install or an "in place" upgrade install.
    • Proposed as answer by dustbin1_uk Friday, October 22, 2010 8:39 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:00 PM
  • I read that on some website. It shocked me. Okay that was wrong then. Thank God!  Thank you for your help!  By the way, once I upgrade on the original machine and the machine gets old, Can I use the same license on a new system (new mobo / HDD) as this is retail, not OEM?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:08 PM
  • Yes, you can use the same license on a new PC as long as you uninstall it off the old machine. You will probably have to call Microsoft to activate it since you would have changed hardware.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:53 PM
  • hi
    since the upgrade is being done in place on an OEM system i do not know that you can move it to another system. The oem licence is for the machine it was originaly installed on and cannot be moved.If you are purchasing an upgrade licence not a full licence then I can see problems with this.
    I supsect you do not have the right to move it to another machine legitimatly.
    How are you going to move it anyway as its an upgrade and would require a system to be on the new machine first (licensed) and this cannot be the oem.
    If of course you are buying a full version then that would work ok. 
    malc 
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:45 PM
  • An UPGRADE product is generally not tied to any particular hardware or previous version. An Upgrade Product SKU can be purchased and used to upgrade Machine 1 to Windows 7 and used for some period of time. If it is then desired to retire Machine 1 (or revert it back to the original OEM WinXP/WinVista it was shipped with), and transfer the UPGRADE licensing to Machine 2 running a different OEM licensed installation (or even a Retail or Volume Licensed installation) -- that can be done.

There may be additional restrictions on the currently announced Windows 7 option program, as it's tied to the specific purchase of a qualifying product during a specified time frame. Whether the terms of that upgrade option actually require the purchased upgrade package to be physically installed on, and only on, the qualifying product, would be specified in the End User License Agreement for that particular upgrade package.

Personally, though, I don't think Microsoft will make that big of a deal out of this. If you read between the lines, you'll realize that the whole purpose of this upgrade offer is to protect computer sellers who are concerned about sales losses since Microsoft has now announced the availability of Windows 7 on Oct 22, 2009. Four months of customers deferring computer purchases because they're waiting for Win7 (and dont' really want Vista) -- can be catastrophic to the computer makers.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Can I do a clean install with a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade disk using my Vista home premium x64 OEM? I am hearing reports of people not being able to upgrade from an XP OEM and Vista upgrade disk. I want to know if I should cancel my order or not. I can't seen to find any terms of use on this piece of software that they are selling.

Thanks.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Can I do a clean install with a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade disk using my Vista home premium x64 OEM?

Currently this capability is not supported in Windows Vista, but the Microsoft Store states this capability will be possible with Windows7.

I am hearing reports of people not being able to upgrade from an XP OEM and Vista upgrade disk.

Whether persons are having issues upgrading Windows XP OEM to Vista has many facets not presented in this discussion, and beyond the scope of this discussion. In general, though, I am not aware of any restrictions that have ever existed on using Retail Upgrade product to upgrade an OEM installation. In fact, that is one of the primary reasons the Retail Upgrade SKU exists in the first place!

However, it should be noted that the Vista Upgrade SKU does not support clean installation. This is documented in KB930985.

I want to know if I should cancel my order or not. I can't seen to find any terms of use on this piece of software that they are selling.

I'm also unable to find any legalese related to licensing or installation restrictions; however, the MS Store page is pretty explicit that the product will support clean installations, and is a legal purchase to upgrade not only Windows Vista, but also Windows XP and Windows 2000 (which would require a clean installation, since an in-place upgrade from those platforms is completely impossible).
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:31 PM
  • just need to add to the above answers which explain the situation perfectly that none of this applies to you if you live in the EU as you will not be able to upgrade anything to windows 7. Only clean installs allowed.
    malc
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Thanks.  It seems like pre-order at this point is a lil bit of gamble as there is a lot that are not clarified.. such as what if my OEM XP comp (Dell) breaks down betweeen now and October??  LOL!  but I think i will still order hoping that MS will give us fair and reasonable deals in the end whatever unforeseeable circumstances we may get into before October, they generally have in the past.
    Friday, July 03, 2009 9:45 PM
  • An UPGRADE product is generally not tied to any particular hardware or previous version. An Upgrade Product SKU can be purchased and used to upgrade Machine 1 to Windows 7 and used for some period of time. If it is then desired to retire Machine 1 (or revert it back to the original OEM WinXP/WinVista it was shipped with), and transfer the UPGRADE licensing to Machine 2 running a different OEM licensed installation (or even a Retail or Volume Licensed installation) -- that can be done.

There may be additional restrictions on the currently announced Windows 7 option program, as it's tied to the specific purchase of a qualifying product during a specified time frame. Whether the terms of that upgrade option actually require the purchased upgrade package to be physically installed on, and only on, the qualifying product, would be specified in the End User License Agreement for that particular upgrade package.

Personally, though, I don't think Microsoft will make that big of a deal out of this. If you read between the lines, you'll realize that the whole purpose of this upgrade offer is to protect computer sellers who are concerned about sales losses since Microsoft has now announced the availability of Windows 7 on Oct 22, 2009. Four months of customers deferring computer purchases because they're waiting for Win7 (and dont' really want Vista) -- can be catastrophic to the computer makers.

A great point about how end users may think now that MS has announced the availability of Win 7 on Oct 22.  But now Vista licenses come with an upgrade to Win 7 for free or 10 dollars ... If Dell and HP havent' started yet, they will shortly start shipping systems with Vista preinstall but also with the free upgrade option to WIn 7 down the line. 

I thought the whole point of the upgrade pre-sale was to target those that are current Vista users, you know thow who have been disliking OEM Vista on their Dell or HP comuters, and cannot wait to be able to use excellent softwares and hardwares that they used to be able to use on their XP computers, lol.  I think Win 7 can get very popular among those upgraders that are looking to get off Vista, considering how many regular people that are not necessarily tech savvy rushed to try Windows 7 RC.
    Friday, July 03, 2009 10:53 PM

Thanks. I am ordering because of your words, lol
    Friday, July 03, 2009 11:06 PM