none
windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware

Question

• Hi,

I recently purchase 4 DELL Vostro 1720 Laptop. 
    They all have exactly the same hardware.  I install on the first laptop Vista Business (OEM version) with all patches (let call it Laptop A).  Then I sysprep the machine OOBE with Generalize on.  I reboot the machine with WinPE and did an image with ImageX.

For test purpose, I just restore the image using WinPE and imageX on Laptop A. Vista start normally asking me settings.  At the end Vista work fine.

Now I restore the image on Laptop B, C and D. When Vista start for the first time, supprise, all laptop got the message « windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware ».

Do I really have an hardware problem ?

Or the Vista can’t be imaged on an other laptop beause of the OEM vista licence ?

Thanks!

Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hello Martin,

According to your error message, the problem is
    probably caused by hard drive settings in bios or DVD drive or bad SATA cabling. Please perform the following steps to narrow downs cause of the issue.

1. Make sure that all laptops the same hardware, same manufacturer and same model.

2. Upgrade the BIOS to the latest version; go into the BIOS and activate "Load Fail-Safe Defaults".

3. If you connect the SATA drives, please set the SATA controller to compatible mode in BIOS.

Good Luck!

Andy

Friday, May 08, 2009 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Martin,

According to your error message, the problem is
    probably caused by hard drive settings in bios or DVD drive or bad SATA cabling. Please perform the following steps to narrow downs cause of the issue.

1. Make sure that all laptops the same hardware, same manufacturer and same model.

2. Upgrade the BIOS to the latest version; go into the BIOS and activate "Load Fail-Safe Defaults".

3. If you connect the SATA drives, please set the SATA controller to compatible mode in BIOS.

Good Luck!

Andy

Friday, May 08, 2009 9:54 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for the quick response.  I change in the BIOS the SATA mode AHCI to ATA and it fix the problem.  I read the difference between AHCI and ATA and it seem to be very minus for laptop.

Martin
    Friday, May 08, 2009 7:49 PM
  • It can also be caused by a new 512e\4K (advanced format) hard drive not being properly aligned. We are seeing this more and more as the hard drive industryn is only providing OEM's with 512e hard drives. Dell have a good page on this:  http://www.dell.com/512e-drives
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:29 PM
  • I got this fixed by using the drivers listed on http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20625
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Just in case anyone finds this useful, I had this same problem and I resolved it. Though my circumstances are a bit different..

I created a single image from a Dell Optiplex 7010 and deployed it another 7010, resulting in the above stated error during the Windows setup. Since the 7010s use the new 512e hard drive (4096 byte sectors), the key was to completely format the system and OS partitions and then deploy the image (instead of just overwriting like I was used to).

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:12 PM