none
Need to reinstall vista ultimate but I lost the CD and product key. What to do

Question

• In April 2009, I upgraded to vista ultimate from vista home premium. However, in late 2009 I then upgraded to windows 7. In the upgrade process I lost track of the vista ultimate product key. My hard drive went bad and now I have installed a new hard drive which is 500 GB in size. I wish to make a dual boot operating system which will have windows 7 and vista both. The problem is I have lost the ultimate product key. It was installed using "anytime upgrade" CD that came with the computer. The anytime upgrade CD is lost too. Is it possible that microsoft search their records to help me find my product key and provide me a link to download ultimate? I registered vista ultimate with MS.  I have not been abe to find much support in the microsoft website for this problem. Thanks
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:03 AM

Answers

• Please see: How to replace Microsoft software

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, February 20, 2012 5:35 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:25 AM
  • "amitjohar" wrote in message news:9d634fa9-ddaf-48c1-9f7b-e1e334bd2e49...
    In April 2009, I upgraded to vista ultimate from vista home premium. However, in late 2009 I then upgraded to windows 7. In the upgrade process I lost track of the vista ultimate product key. My hard drive went bad and now I have installed a new hard drive which is 500 GB in size. I wish to make a dual boot operating system which will have windows 7 and vista both. The problem is I have lost the ultimate product key. It was installed using "anytime upgrade" CD that came with the computer. The anytime upgrade CD is lost too. Is it possible that microsoft search their records to help me find my product key and provide me a link to download ultimate? I registered vista ultimate with MS.  I have not been abe to find much support in the microsoft website for this problem. Thanks

It is not necessary to have the  Vista Ultimate key to be able to reinstall Windows 7 on the same computer – the Home Premium will act as the base license for the upgrade anyway.

The Ultimate upgrade then becomes redundant, because you cannot use the same base license in two upgrades.

You can recover your Ultimate Anytime upgrade key by logging into the MS Store with the same LiveID as you used to purchase the upgrade in the first place – the details should be there.
    You can then request/order a replacement disk from MS.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, February 17, 2012 9:36 AM

All replies

• Please see: How to replace Microsoft software

Carey Frisch

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:25 AM
  • The link is not helpful. How do I find out what my lost product key for vista ultimate is and from where can I get a vista ultimate iso image download? These are my 2 main problems.  Thanks

Amit

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:50 AM
  • "amitjohar" wrote in message news:9d634fa9-ddaf-48c1-9f7b-e1e334bd2e49...
    In April 2009, I upgraded to vista ultimate from vista home premium. However, in late 2009 I then upgraded to windows 7. In the upgrade process I lost track of the vista ultimate product key. My hard drive went bad and now I have installed a new hard drive which is 500 GB in size. I wish to make a dual boot operating system which will have windows 7 and vista both. The problem is I have lost the ultimate product key. It was installed using "anytime upgrade" CD that came with the computer. The anytime upgrade CD is lost too. Is it possible that microsoft search their records to help me find my product key and provide me a link to download ultimate? I registered vista ultimate with MS.  I have not been abe to find much support in the microsoft website for this problem. Thanks

It is not necessary to have the  Vista Ultimate key to be able to reinstall Windows 7 on the same computer – the Home Premium will act as the base license for the upgrade anyway.

The Ultimate upgrade then becomes redundant, because you cannot use the same base license in two upgrades.

You can recover your Ultimate Anytime upgrade key by logging into the MS Store with the same LiveID as you used to purchase the upgrade in the first place – the details should be there.
    You can then request/order a replacement disk from MS.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, February 17, 2012 9:36 AM