none
Disk Management

Answers

• Invisible,

My thoughts:

1.  IAW the above, the problem is that you didn't partition the hd in the initial install.  You let it run rampant and chose the recover option a little too quickly.

2.  Get the files you need backed up to some media, then do a clean install.  Win 7 install will partition your hd for you.  You'll obliterate anything on the hd, so see first sentence (this number) again.  Relegate the space you need to Disk O, which should be your OS partition, and then partition away with Win 7's install partitioning.  Its pretty basic, just slow down, enjoy the coffee, and re-install.  Your better off with a clean install anyway, the recover option usually brings problems, one of which your experiencing.

hope this helps

horatio 

Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:59 PM
  • You need an app like Aida64 to give you very specific info.  If you are running an SSD you may have a RAID.  Run Aida to find out

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Sunday, November 25, 2012 3:07 AM

All replies

• I'v installed windows 7 on my 298 GB hitachi hard drive. but when iv entered a disk management after the installation it shows only 149 GB capacity, my question is where is the rest of it???

10x.

eternals81

Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:18 PM
  • It probably is divided into two partitions with the second perhaps being a restore partition another possibility is that there are a lot of restore points.  One way to be sure is to download the Free "Treesize" program from Jam software, it will tell you whats wqhat.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 5:59 PM
  • I see in the side of the disk management two disks:

disk 0 298GB :    |  c: 298GB                                                                                                      |

disk 1 149GB :    |  d: 149GB                                                                                   |

but when i enter the properties of the 298 GB disk i see only 149 GB capacity.

what may be the problem?

eternals81

Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:43 PM
  • You need an app like Aida64 to give you very specific info.  If you are running an SSD you may have a RAID.  Run Aida to find out

Sunday, November 25, 2012 3:07 AM
  • I v installed this app and checked. it shows 320 GB.  But windows in disk management shows only capacity of 149 GB.

i don't know what to do maybe my disk is burned out. i want to tell that when i was installing the windows 7, during the installation  i v picked the disk 0 = 298 GB from sum of two disks  and even without formatting first i  hit enter on the existing "windows 7(recovered)". first i made a Ghost(clone) from disk 1 to disk 0. and then i  hit enter on the existing "windows 7(recovered)".  i don't know what the problem is.

eternals81

Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Invisible,

My thoughts:

1.  IAW the above, the problem is that you didn't partition the hd in the initial install.  You let it run rampant and chose the recover option a little too quickly.

2.  Get the files you need backed up to some media, then do a clean install.  Win 7 install will partition your hd for you.  You'll obliterate anything on the hd, so see first sentence (this number) again.  Relegate the space you need to Disk O, which should be your OS partition, and then partition away with Win 7's install partitioning.  Its pretty basic, just slow down, enjoy the coffee, and re-install.  Your better off with a clean install anyway, the recover option usually brings problems, one of which your experiencing.

hope this helps

horatio 

Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:59 PM