none
physical memory dump (blue screen) for windows 7

Question

• hi. i have just done a clean install of windows 7 on my hp pavilion dv4 laptop but the BSOD keeps coming back even if i reinstall my system. i understand that the solution can be found by looking into the .dmp file but i have no idea how to open it or analyse it. anyone can help!?

this is the .dmp file that was found from c:windows\minidump after the BSOD occurred:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C0SKUPYH

regards

Friday, July 02, 2010 2:19 AM

Answers

• The debugger pins the bugcheck you got on faulty hardware because the instruction pointer was misaligned.  You got a KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M bugcheck due to "An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction."

However, you have some stale drivers that I'd suggest updating, and then checking the behavior.  You appear to have an earlier version of NOD32 installed - you might consider uninstalling it and reinstalling a newer version or another security product.  Others have reported using the version you have, with no ill effects, however.  You also have a Realtek NIC driver from Feb 26 2009 (Rt86Win7.sys) that should be updated.

Once you've done the above, check the behavior and see if that helps with the stability.

For dealing with Blue Screens, general guidance follows:

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions.  Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date (including video drivers), as well as ensuring that you're  using the latest BIOS. 

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily  good memory - it just hasn't failed a test.  Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of  modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

It can be helpful to use Driver Verifier.  To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings- >Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out  of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem.  In the event that the system does not boot  completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier as described, and then upload it to your SkyDrive, and provide a link.

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, July 05, 2010 6:18 AM
    Friday, July 02, 2010 2:41 AM

All replies

• The debugger pins the bugcheck you got on faulty hardware because the instruction pointer was misaligned.  You got a KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M bugcheck due to "An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction."

However, you have some stale drivers that I'd suggest updating, and then checking the behavior.  You appear to have an earlier version of NOD32 installed - you might consider uninstalling it and reinstalling a newer version or another security product.  Others have reported using the version you have, with no ill effects, however.  You also have a Realtek NIC driver from Feb 26 2009 (Rt86Win7.sys) that should be updated.

Once you've done the above, check the behavior and see if that helps with the stability.

For dealing with Blue Screens, general guidance follows:

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions.  Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date (including video drivers), as well as ensuring that you're  using the latest BIOS. 

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily  good memory - it just hasn't failed a test.  Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of  modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

It can be helpful to use Driver Verifier.  To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings- >Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out  of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem.  In the event that the system does not boot  completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier as described, and then upload it to your SkyDrive, and provide a link.

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, July 05, 2010 6:18 AM
    Friday, July 02, 2010 2:41 AM
  • Suggest you to run memtest as well as the harddisk utility downloaded from it's manufacturer site
    Friday, July 02, 2010 7:57 AM
  • technocrate's posts are generated by lifting others posts and dropping them in other threads where the dropped response may or may not be relevant to the discussion at hand, and not crediting the source.   This has problems because it adds noise to the thread and often confuses the original poster.  It also fails to credit the original composer of the advice, and since technocrate does not post original material, technocrate is unable to respond when the original poster has further questions or requires clarification.  

In this case, the post is lifted from Umesh P - Microsoft Support, Moderator's post at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/w7hardware/thread/e3ba5b2f-d7c2-423b-8d3a-700262fe3b07; a questionable link has been appended.
    Monday, July 05, 2010 5:40 PM