Hyper-V: No Internet Connectivity After Installing a Virtual Switch

Question

• Hello,

It's been so long since my last Hyper-V experience so I've completely forgotten, what do you have to do to route your traffic through the physical adapter once you've created a virtual connection.

I've created an External type network connection and bound it to my single network LAN adapter. That actually turned my physical LAN adapter into a Microsoft Virtual Switch and created a new virtual adapter to use a new network card. That eventually stopped all external routing through my physical LAN and I lost external internet connectivity.

How do I configure my networking once I created a virtual network?

I created a 192.0.2.0/24 subnet on a virtual adapter, but that did not help. It must be something that I missed out to properly configure routing. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Vincent,

I solved the problem by removing the created virtual adapter and recreating it again. The newly added adapter received the DHCP packets with no problem and I immediately got connected to my external network.

• Marked as answer by Exotic Hadron Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What you done is correct.

In  Hyper-V, if you want to let the virtual machine communicate with outside, the easiest way should be create an External Virtual Network bind to one physical network adapter.

The new virtual network adapter you mentioned will be used for Hyper-V host communication. If there is a DHCP server or router in your LAN, this virtual network adapter will get IP address from it. After you connect the virtual network adapter of the virtual machine to the External Virtual Network, they can also get IP address from it.

Please also check the following guides for Hyper-V networking.

How does basic networking work in Hyper-V?
    http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/06/16/how-does-basic-networking-work-in-hyper-v.aspx

Hyper-V: What are the uses for different types of virtual networks?
    http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/06/17/hyper-v-what-are-the-uses-for-different-types-of-virtual-networks.aspx

Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Hi, Vincent,

Thank you for your response!

>>In  Hyper-V, if you want to let the virtual machine communicate with outside, the easiest way should be create an External Virtual Network bind to one physical network adapter.

That's exactly what I did so far.

We do have a DHCP and DNS server but the virtual adapter did not get any address! It automatically assigned an APIPA link-local IP address from the 169.254.0.0/16 subnet. I don't want to manually assign a local IP from my local subnet to this virtual adapter to avoid IP conflicts. Why did the broadcast DHCP packets no pass the virtual switch?

Thank you!

Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

I have seen some issue with limitation in core switch in the LAN.

For more information, you can refer to:

External virtual network acts like internal
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/936f1dc2-3701-42f6-9774-78f5ef12946b

By the way, please try to assign static IP addresses to the virtual machine to see whether they can communicate with other machines.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

I solved the problem by removing the created virtual adapter and recreating it again. The newly added adapter received the DHCP packets with no problem and I immediately got connected to my external network.

• Marked as answer by Exotic Hadron Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:47 PM