none
Backup and Restore - 0x8007045D Error

Question

• I try to do a backup to DVD and keep getting this error towards or at the end of the first DVD.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:57 PM

Answers

• I was receiving the same error message. Shut down SQL server and the error disappeared. I THINK the open/locked  files in SQL are causing the problem. If so, a bummer.
    Thursday, March 08, 2007 7:30 PM
  • I believe I have found the source of the problem for me.

I have a Dell Computer which comes with a hidden FAT partition for running some kinds of diagnostics. This hidden FAT (EISA) partition is visible to Vista, but cannot be managed (deleted, etc) by Vista. This FAT is about 47MB in size. It is very small.

My view (to be confirmed by more detailed investigation) is that the Windows Vista Backup utility is trying to back up this hidden FAT partition and for some reason cannot do it. This usually happens at the end of the first back up DVD (internal). It returns an I/O error when it encounters this.

I was able to get rid of this hidden FAT partition by first booting the system with an old Windows XP install disk, which sees this partition and can delete it.

I should add that earlier I had been able to run Vista Backup successfully to an external DVD-RW with no error displayed. I cannot explain why this worked but using the internal DVD-RW, I would get the error 0x8007045D.

I hope this helps unbundling this mystery.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 5:55 PM

All replies

• I have the same exact error, except I'm backing up to a Western Digital MyBook 500G external hard drive through a USB 2.0 port.
    Thursday, March 01, 2007 3:05 PM
  • What does your event log say after you try to do it? I/O error? Try upgrading your firmware on your burner. Also samething for the Western digital. See if there is a firmware upgrade available.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 4:06 PM
  • I was receiving the same error message. Shut down SQL server and the error disappeared. I THINK the open/locked  files in SQL are causing the problem. If so, a bummer.
    Thursday, March 08, 2007 7:30 PM
  • Same error here.  WD My Book.

The *only* event I'm given is in my app log.

Backup started at '3/17/2007 7:29:09 AM' failed with following error code '2147943517' (The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.). Please rerun backup once issue is resolved.

2147943517 being 0x8007045d

Error dialog on screen indicates:

The backup failed.

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D).

Note: no i/o errors seen in system event log.  No 7,9,11,26,50,51,55 etc.

I already RMA'd one drive over this trying to correct.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 1:53 PM
  • Also, all three of my drives (system, some data, external backup) all pass a chkdsk with no problems.  Again, NO 7,9,11,26,5x or other errors appear in my logs indicating any sort of I/O failure.  Backup just fails and provides no information as to what failed or what it was doing at the time.

This is very frustrating and I'm pretty concerned about my data.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Same drive myself so I'll reply.  There are no firmware updates available from WD for this drive.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 7:26 PM
  • Likewise, I get the same error when backing up to a Maxtor 160GB external hard drive through USB 2.0
    Monday, March 19, 2007 3:38 PM
  •  

Fixed here.

Goto computer properties | Advanced system settings | System protection tab.

Uncheck all drives, hit apply.  This will turn of shadow copies and clear them.

Reenable the drives, hit apply.  Since you just cleared them all you may also want to hit the create button to repopulate at least one.

Run the backup again.

I'll be taking this in to Microsoft to figure out root cause.  Unknown right now.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 12:25 AM
  • I tried this. I turned off the system restore on my C: drive (only one checked). The other is D: drive with RESTORE files. After turning off the system restore, I checked the C: drive again (only). I created a new restore point.

I tried to back up and again I received the same error. 0x8007045D. I am trying to back up my system, but seem unable to do so.

Help and advice is much appreciated.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 5:50 AM
  • I have been unable to complete a back up of my PC to my DVD RW Drive.  Every attempt has ended with the I/O Device Error 0X8007045D 
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 4:23 AM
  • I have done what fixed yours and mine isn't fixed.  I've even had a computer tech friend come over and try it and my error still appears when trying to run the back up tool.  Glad it worked for you, though.
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 4:36 AM
  • I believe I have found the source of the problem for me.

I have a Dell Computer which comes with a hidden FAT partition for running some kinds of diagnostics. This hidden FAT (EISA) partition is visible to Vista, but cannot be managed (deleted, etc) by Vista. This FAT is about 47MB in size. It is very small.

My view (to be confirmed by more detailed investigation) is that the Windows Vista Backup utility is trying to back up this hidden FAT partition and for some reason cannot do it. This usually happens at the end of the first back up DVD (internal). It returns an I/O error when it encounters this.

I was able to get rid of this hidden FAT partition by first booting the system with an old Windows XP install disk, which sees this partition and can delete it.

I should add that earlier I had been able to run Vista Backup successfully to an external DVD-RW with no error displayed. I cannot explain why this worked but using the internal DVD-RW, I would get the error 0x8007045D.

I hope this helps unbundling this mystery.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 5:55 PM
  • Has there been any progress resolving this error in the last 2 months. I have a new vista system and each time I initiate the full back up process I get the same error message 0x8007045D -- at some point during the back up process. The internal DVD records perfectly under other conditions. It is the Vista back up software that has the issue.

TIA

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:03 AM
  • I am seeing the exact same error message-- under Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit under a QX6700 with 4 GB RAM. Interestingly enough, it is not with the Backup and Restore. Instead, there is just one 700 MB file of a 21 file Acronis backup archive-- file #13, that gives this error when the file is copied or burned from the Vista machine. The other 20 files copy fine. The files are located on an external USB drive -- 500 GB, formatted as FAT32. I've run the chkdsk on it-- no problems reported.

What's really puzzling is that if I attach the drive back on a Windows XP Pro machine, like the one originally backed up, there are no issues with copying the file. It clearly is a Windows Vista problem. Other reports seem to mention large USB drives as well. One solution mentioned checking the advanced file properties and being sure you have full ownership rights, but that is only under NTFS. Even the copied file-- copied to the same drive under XP, produced the same error under Vista.

It's starting to seem like a "Vista doesn't like large USB hard drives" bug, but that fact that it only fails on a single file implies that somehow the data in that single file, in conjunction with Vista is to blame. So, your issue may not be the backup and restore, but large USB disk related. I put the problem file on a smaller partition on a shared drive and the Vista machine now accesses the file as normal.

Hope this helps,

jdmaddison

Minneapolis, MN

Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:39 AM
  • I am too getting I/O Device Error but here the problems are even more confusing. I have no idea how to solve this, and I have spent at least three months, 2 hours every day, trying to locate this issue, and not getting anywhere.

I have 6 drives in my system. 5 Western Digital SATA harddrives - 3x320 GB and 2x250 GB, and 1 Maxtor One Touch III 300 GB firewire/usb harddrive.

1 250 GB drive is partitioned 2 x 75 GB & 1 x 100 GB.

Due to the uncertainties around Vista, I haven't gone as far as to remove/replace earlier version of Windows XP Professional, so I am running Dual Boot option with Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit and Windows XP professional. In case one of the OS's catch fire, I can still load everything on the second and repair the damage.

I have no issue what so ever in Windows XP professional. All drives and files are reading/writing normally. In Vista I get i/o device error on the harddrives, and it randomly jumps from one drive to another, and there are no rules to it, as far as I can see. If I number all the drives including the partitions from 1-8, where Drive 1 is where the OS is installed, I get i/o device error on 3, 7 and 8 constantly, but only one at a time. After one reboot, it will be fine a short while, and then one drive will get the error. Statistically it has been about 60 % of times on drive 7, 15% of times on drive 8 and 25 % of the times on drive 3. Drive 7 & 8 are 320 GB SATA drives and drive 3 is 300 GB Maxtor One Touch III.

This error does not exist at all in XP and I have run several check disk and even at one time emptied the contents of the drive into other drives and formatted with both FAT and NTFS filesystems, without getting any closer to solving the issue. The normal systems are: Not able to copy, read or write, view or even transfer via FTP any file or other contents. Sometimes some files will transfer, and some won't that are located on the drive. There doesn't seem to be any logic rule to it, but there must be, since this is a computer, and there must be a logic pattern behind it. Right?

Anyways, I have just given up, and now started search for a solution on the web and different forums. I am admitting defeat and now wish the people here or microsoft help me with this issue.

A comment to some of the solutions above. I also get i/o device error in System Protection Tab in advanced system properties, and no drives come up. The issue extends both to regular SATA-drives in addition to USB-drives, no matter how large. Allthough, the issue seems to be most common on drives with size bigger than 250 GB. I cannot confirm this last statement, as the statistics here are mostly based on feeling and not tested 100 %.

I hope some one can issue a fix to this problem, as it is causing me great deal of frustration. I am serioulsy considering migration to Linux very soon if this issue cannot be solved.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:40 AM
  • Experienced same issue backing up to 700 MB formatted CD-R. Received prompt with specific disc labelling insructions followed by prompt to format to continue backup processing. After several minutes:
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Windows Backup" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="0">4104</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-06-01T15:39:16.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>3452</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>Doctor J-PC</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D)</Data>
      <Binary>5D040780E0040000EC06000008070000420ED1665C2BEE174B64529CB14610EA71000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    Friday, June 01, 2007 4:03 PM
  • Experienced same issue backing up to 700 MB formatted CD-R. Received prompt with specific disc labelling insructions followed by prompt to format to continue backup processing. After several minutes:
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-06-01T15:39:16.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>3452</EventRecordID>
      <Computer>Doctor J-PC</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D)</Data>
      <Binary>5D040780E0040000EC06000008070000420ED1665C2BEE174B64529CB14610EA71000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Firmare for CD drive and DVD drive are up to date and device is "working properly."  In fact all firmware for all applicable devices is "up to date."

Friday, June 01, 2007 4:56 PM
  • I have validated your workaround.  Thank you!  I am not sure why the process you shared did not work for some or why the MS Engineer did not post this workaround instead of pointing at outdated firmware.  Would you be so kind as to post Microsoft's root cause analysis?  Again thank you, Smilin.
    Friday, June 01, 2007 6:30 PM
  •  

Fixed here.
    Reenable the drives, hit apply.  Since you just cleared them all you may also want to hit the create button to repopulate at least one.
    Run the backup again.

I'll be taking this in to Microsoft to figure out root cause.  Unknown right now.

Wow, good call.  I've been backing up my Sony Vaio (running Vista) to a rotating set of external 500gig USB drives and it's been fine so far until the process failed twice in a row with two different 500gig drives.  I even tried putting a blank disk in the external box and that also failed with the same error.  Tried your steps above and it's working fine.  Thanks!

Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:06 PM
  • Ive been running on Vista Ultimate 64bit for months without any problems at all. I've been using 5 harddrives, one partitioned into 2 drives. These drives have the physical sizes of 160GB and 4 x 320GB, both ATA, SATA and SATAII.

Two days ago I purchased a 6th harddrive, which was a 74GB 10k rpm WD Raptor hdd. I installed Vista onto this drive instead and have had this problem since then. The error also jumps from disk to disk and I cannot really move any files around at this time, which is pretty frustrating as I'm a video editor and I need access to my files for work.

At this time I'm not sure whether it has something to do with Vista or the new drive, as both was installed just before this error occured, it seems, however, from reading this thread, that it's a Vista issue.

Tried the suggested fix but didnt resolve my issue.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:47 PM
  • I hit this same issue on Vista x86 yesterday while trying to do a file copy from my desktop to a USB-connected hard drive (both drives NTFS formatted). I got a KD remote setup and sent over to the storage team in Windows, and they were able to narrow my problem down to the disk itself most likely going out. The sense code associated with my failures mapped to [LOGICAL UNIT COMMUNICATION CRC ERROR (ULTRA-DMA/32)].

This isn't necessarily what error 0x8007045D always means, but it was in my case. Thought that info might help some of you out.

Eric (MSFT)

These postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:44 PM
  •  Eric Anderson - MSFT wrote:

I hit this same issue on Vista x86 yesterday while trying to do a file copy from my desktop to a USB-connected hard drive (both drives NTFS formatted). I got a KD remote setup and sent over to the storage team in Windows, and they were able to narrow my problem down to the disk itself most likely going out. The sense code associated with my failures mapped to [LOGICAL UNIT COMMUNICATION CRC ERROR (ULTRA-DMA/32)].

This isn't necessarily what error 0x8007045D always means, but it was in my case. Thought that info might help some of you out.

Eric (MSFT)

These postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

For what it's worth, trying my first back-up on my new x86, Vista Ultimate (only) installation, I'm receiving the same error using an internal 500GB SATA drive as the back-up destination - no USB, FireWire or DVD involved.  Drive otherwise checks out fine with no errors.

Turned off auto restore points on my C:\ drive (also SATA) and attempted back-up without turning it back on; drive backed-up successfully. 

Can't believe that all these diverse error scenarios (threads above) are due to impending disk failure in all these different drives and media.  It appears to be something else - probably something the VSS service can't deal with when auto restore points are enabled (system permissions? AntiVirus?), but the error reporting doesn't give a clue to.

Only other thing: my source drive is a 1.5 Gb SATA; target (destination) is a 3.0gb SATA.   Have seen non-specific reports that Vista does not like mixed SATA configurations like this, but have not seen other problems to date.  Don't know if it's related.

Pity to have to destroy all one's restore points BEFORE a backup is successful.  This problem needs to be fixed.

Error detail:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup
    Date:          7/1/2007 4:37:50 PM
    Event ID:      517
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      amd3800
    Description:
    Backup started at '7/1/2007 7:25:10 PM' failed with following error code '2147943517' (The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.). Please rerun backup once issue is resolved.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1db28f2e-8f80-4027-8c5a-a11f7f10f62d}" />
        <EventID>517</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-07-01T19:37:50.678Z" />
        <EventRecordID>4139</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="5208" ThreadID="5612" />
        <Computer>amd3800</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BackupTime">2007-07-01T19:25:10.287Z</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">2147943517</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%2147943517</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Sunday, July 01, 2007 8:34 PM
  • I would be grateful to hear if there is any further news on this error. (0x8007045D). I am using a Freecom FSG3 under VIsta 64 and the error message is occuring pretty much whenever I try to write to the drive. Freecom believe it's a Vista error. Deleting the restore points isn't making any difference for me.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 10:19 AM
  • Exact same issue here with Vista64 Ultimate, 4gb ram, Seagates SATAII 300gb and SATAII 400gb with failure writing to both external Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500gb using the USB 2 connection and also trying to backup the system volume only (300gb) to the internal (400gb) volume. 

I am using an Intel DQ965gf motherboard.  I have obtained good partial and full system backups before on this.

The only coincidence I can think of is I got a Symantec Anti-Virus error license error and restored a system restore point.  Since then  Full System backup doesn't work.  User files does work.

I expect after this many months of other people having this problem that we would have better knowledgbase articles on this.

Is it possible that Symantec is goofing around with some root-kit technology that is changing something.  It almost acts like a permissions error trying to write the xml files at the end of the backup.  I am left with just a vhd, no xml files after it fails.

Friday, September 14, 2007 9:08 PM
  •  Kmarcan wrote:
    I have the same exact error, except I'm backing up to a Western Digital MyBook 500G external hard drive through a USB 2.0 port.

I just picked up one of those 500G MyBooks last week and after manually copying about 20-30GB of data to the device, I now continuously get that error message.

"Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

I've re-booted, re-attached, re-partitioned, re-formatted and scanned the disk for errors all without any problems.  As far as I can tell, the disk itself is healthy.   It just appears as if Vista Ultimate x64 cannot continue writing to it.

Any updates on this issue?

Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:08 PM
  • Ok, problem solved at least temporarily.  I turned off system restore like mentioned in previous posts and was able to get a complete system backup.  I didn't start until both internal volumes said "no restore points" available. I made no other changes.   I now believe that the backup is failing at the time it tries to update the restore point when it finishes the first volume (it failed previously when backing up only the first volume in addtion to both volumes).  It goes for the correct amount of time to backup up the data and fails at the time that would be appropriate for setting a new restore point.

I believe it is a bug with setting restore points.  This did not occur until I restored a restore point to solve a message from Symantec Anti-Virus regarding a license error after installing Outlook 2007 and re-downloaded LiveUpdate from Symantec.  The unfortunate mess out of this is that you lose all previous restore points (and probably shadow copies I assume) in order to get another backup.

I just verified that previous shadow copies are deleted also,  I assumed it was the same service running both.  I saw on another post where you can change the size allocated.  I hope there is a patch for this soon.

By the way, restoring a system restore point also made RDP6.0 quit working trying to get a remote desktop into this same system unless I added "enablecredsspsupport:i:0" to the RDP connection file on the remote computer.  I finally got that solved by clearing the SSL cache in IE on the remote computer (I think that is what solved it).  For some reason it also deleted my list of authorized remote users.

I have had my share of problems from restoring a previous restore point this week.  All this from technology to make reliable system protection.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:33 PM
  • I'm a non-technical user who was able to do one backup to DVD when I got my new Dell XPS410 with Vista Home Premium two months ago, but have gotten this error message every time since.  I figured it must be a bug in Vista that Microsoft would fix, but here we are more than seven months after this initial post and I still can't back up my data, and I don't see a clear solution from Microsoft.  This looks like the most likely place on the Web to see how Microsoft is responding to this issue.

My question for Microsoft is, are ANY Vista users able to use the backup utility?  If so, why can't I?  I don't think I've done anything weird or unnatural to my system since receiving it from Dell and the backup doesn't seem to work as advertised.

Sunday, October 07, 2007 5:06 PM
  •  

Hi

so has there actually been a solution to this error, because i've been experiencing this problem when i try to copy files from my USB hard drive to my computer, and yes only the copying of some files in the drive fail and the copy will mention error 0x8007045d.

so has microsoft actually addressed this problem?

thanks

Damian

Sunday, October 21, 2007 9:25 AM
  • Friday, October 26, 2007 2:11 AM
  • I agree - this is a prolonged wait for a major bug fix.

It really is time MS said something, anything, or hasn't it occurred to them that Vista 64 is unusable for any real work until you can do reliable back-ups?

A backup arguably has to be to an external disc to make any sense in the event the system dies altogether, little discs (smaller than 500G) are not a lot of use on a busy system and I for one cannot afford to go out and buy lots of discs to find out which one works.

It does strike me that the current system is at a beta release stage (at best) if it can't do a security dump.

Perhaps the fault lies truly in the bowels of Vista and we await a major revision. Personally I vote that they toss in the remainder of the security system while they're revising because after prolonged use it becomes a major PITB. 

Dave
    Friday, October 26, 2007 7:34 AM
  • Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, upon following your kind suggestion I get the dreaded:

"This update does not apply to your system", which is a bit final.

I think my updates are bang up-to-date. At least, MS say they are.

(64 bit Vista Ult.)

Sunday, October 28, 2007 9:08 AM
  • I have this error on an x86 machine and this patch did not cure the problem.  Both backup disks I tried are two versions of a western digital external disk (one is the Jumbo 120 and the other is the a 250 ).

Thursday, November 08, 2007 3:53 AM
  • All, I just upgraded to Vista Ultimate (OEM Dell) from Vista Home Premium (OEM Dell).  Backup on Vista Home Premium worked fine.  Now I get the dreaded 0x8007045d error message at the end of the full system backup routine.  The interesting thing is that there is a file that is put onto my external Seagate FreeAgent 250 Desktop drive that looks complete but obviously isn't as I can't then run a backup of my files. 

I then tried a fresh install of Vista Ultimate hoping that it was a upgrade problem but it isn't.  The "fix" to check and uncheck the recovery drives (you've seen the info on this) doesn't work. All drivers are updated.  The drive works fine so that can't be blamed (again it worked in Vista Home Premium).

When is MS going to admit they have problem and fix this issue.  It's all over the web.

HELP!

Sue

Monday, November 12, 2007 8:45 PM
  • Relax, you have yet to explore the majesty of 0x8007345 which is just as much fun and follows hard on the heels of 0x8007045D. Accept that Vista doesn't do backups and you can take on a new level of Karma. 

Monday, November 12, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Dave,

Thank you so much for making me laugh!  I needed this.  I've done what you suggested (accepted the fact that Windows Vista doesn't do backups) and my Outlook (no pun intended) on life in the Vista fast lane has dramatically changed for the better.  One day, in the perfect world, where money grows on trees next to the lollipops, Windows Vista will actually work.  And here I thought tearing my hair out in the past testing the Beta version of Vista was going to help out my friends at MS.  Foolish me. 

LOL.

Sue

Monday, November 12, 2007 11:01 PM
  • Seriously tho', Vista's red hot if you use the 64 bit version and stay with XP for all the stuff that doesn't need such processor power. Why, oh why MS didn't stick to XP for 32 bit systems and make Vista the way to the stars (pun intended) defeats me. What justification anyone can have for using this b shambles as a 32 bit system I haven't fathomed.

Oh, by the way, did you know that IE7 (64bit) is different to IE7 (32 bit) and has different bugs? That the mobile phone integration in Vista 64 is different to that in Vista 32.... I could go on, but you've probably already had more hysteria than is good for a body.

Incidentally, I've managed to cause the contents of an 8GB DVD to evaporate - good fun, eh? Glad I did a backup, under XP, of course!

Take care;

Monday, November 12, 2007 11:29 PM
  • I had this same problem and though I am not technically gifted I read through these 3 pages of the forum, but found no relief. I asked the computer store fellow who sold me the system, and he said the Back up Files wizard/program is designed to back up data to a TAPE (?!). If we want to back up to a DVD, we should use a program like Nero. I don't have Nero so I "sent" my documents to the DVD drive, and successfully burned them to a DVD.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:00 PM
  •  MikeSuave wrote:

I tried this. I turned off the system restore on my C: drive (only one checked). The other is D: drive with RESTORE files. After turning off the system restore, I checked the C: drive again (only). I created a new restore point.

I tried to back up and again I received the same error. 0x8007045D. I am trying to back up my system, but seem unable to do so.

Help and advice is much appreciated.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:04 PM
  • Leave system restore "OFF" during the backup.  Do not turn it back on until the backup is done.  The backup will create a restore point even with it off.

That is the only way I could get it to work.  I am now thinking this error has something to do with running multiple backups to different destinations.  If you have a memory card reader and don't assign the other drive a non-conflicting drive letter it can end up a different destination, or if you have multiple external drives.  It keeps a record of previous

backups and I think it's error recovery is poor when it doesn't get what it is expecting.

And for the previous poster that was told it was for tape only, that is not correct.  It definitely uses dvd and hard drives.

Friday, November 23, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Hi.

I have got exactly the same problem as has been sighted above. I get the error as 0x8007045D an I/O error whenever I try to transfer a file of a size larger than 600 MB on to my Western Digital MyBook 500 GB.

It is really becoming a pain. I am using a new Dell Laptop that I just bought, with the Windows Vista Home premium in it.
    If some one does have a solution to the problem as above of transfering files to the external hard drive, plz do let me know. I am not talking about the back up problem.

Thanks a lot.

samgarg

Monday, November 26, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Thank you soooo much with the help of your forum I was able to fix my pc. I would like to give you possitive feedback, but I'm not sure how.Please let me now how, na_junkie@yahoo.com

Fixed here.

Run the backup again.

Friday, December 28, 2007 9:30 PM
  • I encountered the same situartion: WD mybook 250 on usb port.  why doesn't  Microsoft have anything about this????
    Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:16 PM
  • Have the same problem on a 32 Bit Vista Ultimate with 4x500GB RAID5 HDD copying my files to external 300GB USB-HDDs (no backup tool, no DVD-drive, etc.). A handful of this errors is occuring at the copy of about 40.000 files with 170GB, but each error is to much when you backup your files. None of the suggested workaround did work. 8 months after the start of this thread there seems to be no solution on the internet!!!!???
    Monday, January 14, 2008 9:43 PM
  • I'm getting along by taking out a subsciption to Defender/One Care where the back up system seems to work.

BUT

I'm not at all sure that the built in backups are compatible with those from One Care,

It's all very fragile.

I've only had the briefest of looks at the restore side of the package and recoiled in horror,

There isn't any software to tidy up the backups so they system must be an absolute joy to disc manufacturers.

DIGRESSION

In 1971 I worked on what we thought then was a third generation operating system and if we had presented our customers with a back up and restore system as bad as these we wouldn't have sold a computer, never mind any software.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:39 PM
  • I experienced this problem while backing up to DVD+R media. When I switched to DVD-R media, there were no problems. I have Vista Home Premium running on a Dell Dimension 521E, all original parts.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Any more information on this? 

I have Vista Home Premium, a MyBook 500GB (which seems frequently mentioned with this error), and like others, can't backup my new system.

Vista Home Premium conveniently omits the complete PC Backup, so I've tried moving large amounts of files manually and with Acronis with no success.  These errors are sort of defeating the purpose of my external partition--and for the moment--leaving my system in quite a precarious state.

Is there a large external that doesn't have these issues?  I tried some of the suggestions above with no luck.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:40 PM
  • I'm using the same external disc and having no troubles (except that 500GB seems only to be a drop in the bucket as far as Microsoft is concerned) using the One Care backup system. The built in system still fails quite regularly.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:53 PM
  •  drg40 wrote:
    I'm using the same external disc and having no troubles (except that 500GB seems only to be a drop in the bucket as far as Microsoft is concerned) using the One Care backup system. The built in system still fails quite regularly.

It didn't look like OneCare gave any additional options for backing up if you're a Vista Home Premium user.  I want either a full system backup, or a way to target files/directories of my choosing--and the backup options in Home Premium (with or without OneCare, it appears) offer neither.  
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Ah. Sorry, I'm not in a position to help you. I do have exactly the choices you suggest but I'm using ultimate x64 with One Care and I have discovered in the past that the software on the x64 variety is not quite the same as that on the x32 version - never mind the differences between the versions of Vista.

You will find, when this problem is finally cracked, that you will need awfully big HDDs for the backup as the system offeres no means of tidyting up your backup history. One a backup goes onto so many DVD that they are no longer a sensible option as a backup medium things become a might difficult. I live in hope that one day Microsoft will introduce a rather more effective backup system.

Dave

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:06 AM
  • TRY TURNING OFF THE AUTOMATIC BACKUP BEFORE YOU START BACKING UP. THIS MIGHT HELP, GOOD LUCK.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:52 AM
  •  Smilin wrote:

Fixed here.

Run the backup again.

Worked for me, one thing though will I need to clear restore points before every backup?

Saturday, March 01, 2008 1:08 PM
  • I unfortunately have not been able to get any of the tricks mentioned here to work.  It will run for about 1 to 2 weeks and then start failing every day.  I finally did a search for alternative / third party backup tools.  I was about to buy one when I stumbled upon Cobian's Backup.  It's free and for my needs it works great (may not be what everyone is looking for though).
    Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:10 PM
  • I stood up a new home system ~2 weeks ago, my first with the Vista OS (Ultimate 32b, Core2Duo, 4GB, 750GB WD HDD). I plan to use it to replace my current 5-year-old XPPro "gateway" system on my home net so I have been slowly xferring & testing key proggies & data.

I will not perform the final mods to move the new system into the "gateway" slot until after I determine that Vista SP1 does not harm/kill the new system (as XP SP2 did to 2 of my XPPro systems).

I decided, initially, to use a new MyBookEssential250, that I acquired in late '06 but have not yet used, as a backup destination.  I reformatted the MyBook last night as NTFS.  While I am testing several different Vista-compat backup proggies, I have decided to use the "winner" in conjunction with the Complete Backup feature offered in Vista.

I find that I am repeatedly thwarted in this plan by the 0x8007045D Error.

I have read thru all 4 pages of this thread and tried all of the possible fixes, but nothing has worked for me.

Hopefully, someone will come up with fix that works for me and posts it soon ... that failing, I hope that it is addressed in SP1.

Sunday, March 09, 2008 2:50 PM
  • A few observations ...

After attempting a Complete Backup of the C and D partitions, I noticed that a new Restore Point was listed for D Drive, even though I had turned-off & cleared Restore Points for both drives prior to starting the backup ... and even though Restore was still toggled OFF on them both.

I then cleared that Restore Point, left both partitions toggled OFF and attempted a Complete Backup on C Drive alone. 

Again, this ended in a 0x8007045D failure ...

... but when I immediately went to check the Retore Point status, I found a new one was listed for C Drive, even though that drive was still toggeld OFF.

Sunday, March 09, 2008 3:20 PM
  •  

Oh Good Grief!

I just attempted a C & D Complete Backup to the E partition of the system's internal HDD and got a 0x8007045D ... <shaking my head>

Yes, Restore was off & cleared on all partitions for that HDD but after the failed backup I found that a new Restore Point had been created for D.

This is not an external drive issue, or a USB vs SATA vs PATA vs DVD issue, this is a broken Complete PC Backup issue.

Sunday, March 09, 2008 3:35 PM
  • Success!

I have Vista Ultimate 32, 4 gig and a 160 gig 10k internal HDD.

Backup worked previously last Sept.

Tried it this week before the SP1 install and it got the 0x8007045D error while backing up to my D partition on the internal drive (plenty of space for the backup) before I moved it elsewhere.

Stopped SQL Server 2005 Express...still didn't work BUT after I stopped SQL Server AND the SQL Server Browser service AND disabled Shadow Copy (the Restore points were all deleted too). 

It then worked fine.

So MANY of you might be thinking...hey how's this relevant, I don't have SQL Server...ahh but do you have Outlook 2007? 

Business contact manager comes with SQL Server...so go into the SQL Server Surface Area Config>Surface Area Config for Services and Connections THEN temporarily disable BOTH services. I havn't tested it with only just the SQL Server disabled and not the Browser service so it way work with just one done...but as it worked it this way it only takes 5 more seconds to do both and it then may just work for you Surprise)

Hopefully this may shed some light on the subject for a number of people that didn't think they could fix the issue.

Cheers,

Meow

Ps...forgot to mention that it's a new Dell so it's no doubt got that hidden diagnostic FAT 32 partition...didn't need to delete it or muck crazily around...just the above worked ok...MS just need to patch the backup so it stops SQL temporarily while also ignoring Shadow Copy/Restore point issues.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:55 AM
  • I upgraded Vista Home Premium to Ultimate. The only reason was to be able to do complete backup. But no luck. The same error. The solution offered here - removing restore points does not work for. I tried to use MyBook 500G, Maxtor. It just does not work. I used Retrospect on my XP machines. But now Retrospect does not work on this vista. Is there any way to get Microsoft to fix this bug? I feel defrauded. Why the ....  I paid for the upgrade if still does not work?

Friday, April 04, 2008 1:49 AM
  • The solution for the 0c0000034 bug which crashes the machine after attempting to load SP1 on vista x64 seems to have only one recovery - a very long winded way using restore points. If you turn off restore points, best not leave them turned off.

If there ever is a solution to 0x80007045D (or indeed 0xc0000034) has anybody any idea where they would be posted?

Dave

Friday, April 04, 2008 7:57 AM
  • How Do You Shut Down the SQL Server???  I'm at a TOTAL LOSS.  (I did already try to search the Help Section & Using Explorer's File View.)

Please HELP... Smile  I'm DESPARATE AT THIS POINT!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Laura

Friday, April 04, 2008 12:30 PM
  • I don't know anything about SQL etc but I have some info to add to this thread.

I was getting the same problems and symptoms as everybody else until I loaded Vista SP1.

After loading SP1 I tried again to back and restore using the Vista facillity.

At the end of the backup process (to an extrnal 500Gb Lacie HDD) I received a message that the backup was complete.

However when I went into the restore process I received a message that "There are no backups available on this computer"

On the Backup screen the message says "last backup done 2/4/08"  but it is nowhere to be found on any drive let alone the external HDD.

Friday, April 04, 2008 11:26 PM
  •  

Sunday, April 06, 2008 5:17 AM
  • Right, I've been having this error message when attempting to perform a backup.

The backup was getting to about three quarters of the way through, then was failing with the 0x8007045D error.

I thought it was weird, becuase I was able to make backups until March but all of a sudden Backup just started failing. And the drive is fairly new (bought in January).

I followed all the steps mentioned in this thread, but everytime it failed with the same unhelpful message.

I finally discovered that my HDD had a bad sector (despite it being fairly new), and that the problem with backup only appeared after I had copied enough data onto the drive to reach the bad sector. It was this sector that caused Backup to spit out the 0x8007045D error.

To correct my problem, I right-clicked my C: drive within Computer, selected properties..., selected the tools tab, and in the Error-Checking pane clicked the Check Now button. I ticked the Automatically fix file system errors and the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

After clicking start, I restarted the system as instructed, and let chkdsk do it's thing. Once it was complete, the system restarted and from that point on I was once again able to use Windows Backup to back up my machine to my external USB drive.

I have since restored to a another dirve (just in case the bad sector is indicative of imminent drive failure).

Hope this helps someone else out there.

If not, goodluck finding your solution!

m0nstr0

Sunday, April 20, 2008 11:16 AM
  • I just started getting this error message (I/O 0X8007045D) with Vista Backup then it dawned on me that all other times I was using the backup program that comes with Windows Live One Care. I went back to Live One Care and have not had any more problems. My guess would be something in the backup software preinstalled within Vista. Vista has more headaches than it is worth. My next system will be other than Microsoft. Try the free version for 90 days.

Friday, June 13, 2008 12:59 AM
  • Same problem with my first attempt at backup with system backup. I usually use Windows Live One Care backup and when I went back to using it the problem was solved. Try downloading the free 90 day version and give it a shot.

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:05 AM
  • Ok...if you are getting this error...do you have Outlook 2007?

If yes...do you have the business contact manager add in for Outlook 2007

If yes...you HAVE SQL Server 2005 installed by default.

So...as the Business contact manager comes with SQL Server...go into...

Start menu>All programs>Microsoft SQL Server 2005>Config Tools>SQL Server Surface Area Config>Surface Area Config for Services and Connections (a link at the bottom of the interface) and...THEN temporarily disable BOTH services.

You do this by clicking sqlexpress>database engine and select STOP

Also stop the Sql Server Browser (click it and select STOP - this is all in the same menu) as well - I don't know if this ultimately makes a difference but as this is all very hazy and undocumented just stop it as well...and yes it's normal to stop services...you can restart them afterward (same process just select START instead of STOP).

Run through the other changes as advised previously in this post...eg: turn off restore to delete your old shadow copies...for people who are hesitant...these are just copies of files you use on a day to day basis...nothing more...they exist just in case you accidently delete a file and wanted to get a revision back...if you don't need to recover a file, feel free to delete them.

Once I did all of this, my backup worked FINE.

Once you have backed up again...restart the SQL services (not before) and you should be done.

Cheers,

Meow

Of note: I have a Dell which HAS got that hidden diagnostic FAT 32 partition...didn't need to delete it or muck crazily around and risk screwing up your file system and/or Dell recovery partition...the above worked fine...MS just need to patch the backup so it stops SQL temporarily while also ignoring Shadow Copy/Restore point issues.

Many normal backup programs do not backup SQL as they don't temporarily stop the service...so SQL databases are either skipped or the backup fails (error).  I beleive it just may be that this is the cause of many peoples problems.

Mostly enterprise grade backups (bare metal type backups) know how to handle SQL correctly...as it is a business grade database.

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:26 AM
  • I have to say this:

To anyone pushing One care...please...we have paid for this Vista feature and a 90 day test drive of the worst Anti virus suite on the market is not very useful for the average punter.  What do we do after the 90 days?

To extrapolate the idea, if you wish to pay more money, buy a PROPER Bare Metal backup program...that will be much better than One Care or Vista...but as I mentioned before, we already own a decent backup program that will suit 90% of users so that is why we are posting here...to get it working...otherwise the post would have started and ended, 'Don't worry people, you will never get it working, just buy another product and forget all the potential advice that people may wish to post.'

And for the knockers...Vista is solid as...people who complain loudly about it obviously have either dodgy non vista compatible drivers and/or software installed or have loads of crappy add-ins in IE or Outlook....or they try to run it on a slow old Pentium 4 with a gig of ram and old hardware/drivers etc...these people were begging for the world of hurt that they unleashed.  It would be like running XP (when it came out 7 years ago) on a Pentium Pro 200mhz monster...world of hurt, come and embrace me!  I would suggest these people go cuddle up to Linux and prepare to complain further out over the command line junk or goto Mac and then complain about the lack of free (and paid) software.  If your interested on fixing a dodgy Vista install, check your add-ins, hardware specs (be realistic...dual core, 2 gig ram minimum) and drivers and software for compatibility.  If you don't have the right software, don't install it...world...hurt...I imagine you get it now...

To everyone else on this thread, please try the methods above (and listed elsewhere in this thread)...here is the additional info that works in conjunction with my post that someone posted earlier.

Also try the disk error check...I think a combination of these ideas may help a number of people.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 7:01 AM
  • Hi, I am having the same problem. Mine is much more localized. It always fails with a 0x8007045d error when simply copying a large .AVI file from my 500GB Western Digital MyBook back to my PC. The error is generated always in the middle of the copying process. I´ve done everything people in forums recommend like: redoing restore points, assigning full control to myself, etc. I´ve tried with two different Home Vista laptops. Always the same.

Well I will be looking for an XP PC at my work somewhere to get the file copied.

good luck
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 12:34 AM
  • I have the same problem copying files from my WD Elements 500GB drive. I'm now copying all files onto another drive one by one. My only explanation is data corruption. Once I'm done copying I'm going to format my Elements drive and hope that that will solve the problem.

Hopefully I didn't scratch the platters somehow.
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:04 PM
  • I have suddenly started getting this error (I/O Device error - OX8007045D) when I save to my external. I have been using the external for about  months. It's about half full of very large photo files, and now suddenly vista won't write to it anymore. My very first thought was that the drive was broken because it does get used a lot and moved all over the place. Unfortunately, it works on every other pc I've been able to plug it into. This is definitely a Vista problem. It makes no sense. If anyone has a fix, I'd really appreciate it.

Sunday, August 03, 2008 5:46 AM
  • Hi Marty,

Read through the thread and try some of the things suggested i.e. disk check, Outlook/SQL Server, Shadow copies etc - this may well solve your problem with a few minutes reading.  A number of users have posted useful comments that no doubt would solve many of the issues related to this error.

Cheers,

Cat 

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 4:07 AM
  • imy back fails on vista sp 1 half way through back up i am use a dvd+r disk it worked before i got vsp1 tell how or what i need to fix it

Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:55 AM
  •  

I have a good one to share....

Brand new Quad core Dell PC (530), 4gig,500GB Seagate

locked up after few weeks, only used a little for HD home video burning to bluray, etc.

Restarted only a few times and then it would freeze in file explorer after 5min of playing video files...

No restore points, restore using Dell restore partition failed, cant recall error

So, I figured I will just run a clean Vista install, what could possibly go wrong...few minutes into install (3-~40% into Expanding Files), 0x8007045D error, many times.

Some peeps said to reduce the amount ram for install..tried 2gb, tried 1gb, tried Seatools boot CD (HD passed all tests and passed a 2 hour ZERO format), tried to install SuSe linux, wierd errors that may have been software only, but failed, tried XP, failed...Dell finally gave up after 5 hours and are sending tech support guy with new drive and SATA cables, Vista CD, but I am real close to sending the thing back and starting over...

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:40 AM
  • Hey PJM,

Sorry you've had issues with your new Dell, I've got a similar rig from Dell and it has been A1 for the past year...my wife has a number of your machines at work and all good. 

It's possibly a RAM issue - had that with a laptop, couldn't do anything eventually including install new OS's.  Tried XP, Vista etc  Dell replaced the RAM and all is now sweet.

It happens I guess.  My laptop would have passed the usual checks and it wasn't until a couple of weeks later that it started playing up.

Vista is so solid now I don't even think about stability issues and the like.  The Dell warranty is so solid as tech's turn up in your living room and rebuild the whole machine (M/B, Ram, CPU, HD etc) if need be.  Not many manufacturers do this!  That in itself is worth the money for the warranty.

Just remember to make sure all your drivers and programs are A1 Vista compatible...anything other means pain and suffering...and BSODs.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:58 AM
  • Gringo_MVD

Turned off auto restore points on my C:\ drive (also SATA) and attempted back-up without turning it back on; drive backed-up successfully. 

Tried everything and this was the only thing that worked for me.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:31 AM
  • I tried your workaround that involved turning off the systemrestore... I'll just say that I am truly happy for you that it worked for you; However, Didn't help me at all In less than 5 minutes it errord out with that dastardly code. Now it seems I'll just try a different back up software and see if I can do any better. But thanks for sharing what works for you...
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:53 AM
  • i had the same one on my 64bit laptop. go to amd,or amd,ati and run the down load it fixed it u may have some drivers that are out dated brandnew and out dated,yes out dated. the drivers are ati drivers that need up dated  worked on it for days hope this works for you it hepled me plz let me know .thats if you run a amd or runing a ati graphic card. the err is a driver problem
    • Proposed as answer by webfoot1 Wednesday, July 01, 2009 7:23 AM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:01 AM
  • I have been trying unsuccessfully for two years to get a backup.  I kept getting the 0x8007045d error message.   I have tried many of the suggestions here and elsewhere but nothing worked.   Until.   I had been using DVD +R disks.   At the suggestion of someone on here about using -R disks, I thought I would try it, heck I had tried everything else.  And it worked...  YAY!!!!!!!!!!  Finally, I have a backup
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 7:35 AM
  • PC decrappafier is interesting utility  :)
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:45 AM
  • I have Vista 64 and I get the error 0X8007045D with two Maxtor 500s and two Seagate 1.5Ts. It doesn't matter what drive, the same error when attempting backup. I don't have Outlook 2007 and I don't have SQL running on this computer. If I want to do a backup, I must boot up my old XP and use it to perform the backup. Interestingly, all data on these four drives was created on the Vista 64 machine.
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 8:50 PM
  • I am having the same problem with my western digital 250 gb eternal harddrive. when i cant delete a file or files the unlocker program usually helps but lates just to moves files has become a problem. Any luck?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:48 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. Backing up to a DVD. But unlike everybody else, I'm using Windows 7. This is 2 years after the first post on this issue. Maybe Bill should fix the problem.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 8:32 PM
  • I have had the same problem and Removed the dying Hard drive.

I suggest you remove your drive and put it in another computer as an external and find all your files you want to keep.

I will bet you will find one or many files corrupted as I did, it could be system files, I hope for you're sake.

Time to invest in another hard drive.

I back up to at least 3-4 external drives regularly, Some drives dont last long. I have had both the main drive and the backup drive die at the same time tis why i have extra back ups.

Also, the idea of backing up to an external drive is to do your back up and put the drive away after, leaving it connected and running is just wearing it out.

Morbis.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Hi guys,

I have just come across this post and thought I would give some insight. I am running Windows 7 64bit with 8GB Ram on a HP HDX Laptop. I have bought a Samsung S2 640GB USB2.0 hard drive for backup purposes. When I back user files up including drive c all works fine and the backup completes, however, if I attempt to do a system image only, the backup fails with the same error you have all been talking about, if I follow the above advise and turn off system protection throughout the backup it doesnt help.

Here is the strange bit, I have been in touch with MS and they said I would need to reformat my laptop and reinstall the OS as this fault according to them is limited to a ''few users''. Before I took that ''advise'' I hoocked up an old 160GB SATA Maxtor drive using a SATA to USB convertor, guess what - the system image worked, tried the samsung hard drive straight after - failed??

MICROSOFT - ARE YOU TAKING NOTE HERE??????

John Tankard
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:02 PM
  • I have a same error 0x8007045D when i try to download file to external hard drive.but i found out my hard drive has no more space,then i change the another hard drive so it have no more error.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:23 PM
  • I followed these instructions several times. I/O device error (0x8007045D) still appears when trying to backup to a DVD. My external WD accepts backup but I don't want it there. I want it on DVD.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:53 PM
  • I have the exactly configuration. What I did but no tested. I´ve created the image using the "network resource" but the location is my own c:\users\public. Then I copied the folder to the external drive. 

I didn´t test yet to confirm if it´s works.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:16 PM
  • i had the same error when I tried to move 2 Avi files to a WD 320Gb Passport.  Tried almost everything and nothing worked. Ran Malwarebytes Anti-virus. 7 Trojans were found in HKey Registry. Had Malwarebytes remove and restarted computer. My problem was solved.  Good luck to u all. I hope u all get the same great results I did.  Today is June 5, 2010. 
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 3:52 AM
  • I wanted to run Vista again but when i instert the disk it began installing . then by the second task of the instalation a error code appeared. 0x8007045d what do i need to doo please someone help mee    got answer email me : jona_outlaw@hotmail.com
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Hi all –

I’m a novice here, but trying to figure out why my backups were failing most of the time. I got the I/O error code 0x8007045D, like everyone else, during a system backup to external drive.

My Details :

Desktop HP p6267c, Product NY591AA#ABA

Win7 Home Edition

Backup Drive – External Seagate FreeAgent 1TB USB 2.0 drive

(9ZC2ZG-500, ST310005FDA2E1-RK)

Solution for me:

I opened the properties tab for the disk drive.

On the Details page there is a list of properties.  For “Safe Removal Required”   The unit has a value of <true> .

I had long ago removed that silly icon for safe removal of USB device since I never remove the unit from the computer anyway. 

So I found where to turn it back on.

Devices and Printers/FreeAgent Properties/Hardware/Seagate FreeAgent USB Device/Properties/General/Change Settings/Policies

Here I changed from Quick removal (default) to Better performance .

Then I restarted my backup and it completed properly.  Finally!

I’m no expert on I/O interface, or USB, but this worked (at least once!).   Hope it works for you!

Monday, June 21, 2010 3:35 PM
  • tried everything without succes, tehn this one solved it for me:

in the command line, run:

sfc /scannow

chkdsk c: /r

Hope this help

Olivier

The Net Doctor

Saturday, August 14, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Same problem, getting error 0x8007045D. I eventually gave up and bought a backup program and haven't looked back since. It wasn't worth risking my data over this issue.

Right, I've been having this error message when attempting to perform a backup.

The backup was getting to about three quarters of the way through, then was failing with the 0x8007045D error.

I thought it was weird, becuase I was able to make backups until March but all of a sudden Backup just started failing. And the drive is fairly new (bought in January).

I followed all the steps mentioned in this thread, but everytime it failed with the same unhelpful message.

I finally discovered that my HDD had a bad sector (despite it being fairly new), and that the problem with backup only appeared after I had copied enough data onto the drive to reach the bad sector. It was this sector that caused Backup to spit out the 0x8007045D error.

To correct my problem, I right-clicked my C: drive within Computer, selected properties..., selected the tools tab, and in the Error-Checking pane clicked the Check Now button. I ticked the Automatically fix file system errors and the Scan for and attempt photo recovery of bad sectors.

After clicking start, I restarted the system as instructed, and let chkdsk do it's thing. Once it was complete, the system restarted and from that point on I was once again able to use Windows Backup to back up my machine to my external USB drive.

I have since restored to a another dirve (just in case the bad sector is indicative of imminent drive failure).

Hope this helps someone else out there.

If not, goodluck finding your solution!

m0nstr0

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:36 PM
  •        I ve just bought a Lacie external hard disk ( ITB) to backup my files and I got the same error. Also, LACIE Genie Backup doesn't finish and always stops by unexpected error as follows:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Windows Backup
    Date: 4/23/2011 5:30:12 PM
    Event ID: 4104
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: *****************
    Description:
    The backup was not successful. The error is: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D).
    Event Xml:
    < Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-23T14:30:12.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>21818</EventRecordID>
    <Computer>**************</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Binary>5D040780E30500003F0900005B090000420ED1665C2BEE174B64529CB14610EA71000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    < /Event>

Please help!

Thanks

Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Anybody having troubles with DELETING folders: If there are subfolders, go into the top-level folder, and try deleting the individual subfolders. If that doesn't work, go into the subfolders and delete whatever's in there, then delete the folder. Keep going into the subfolders if you have to. It worked for me.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 11:52 AM
  • use burning tool software like,,nero make a backup first in your hardisk then burn it your DVD drive. If you do in USB portable drive,,its ok it will work fine..

just give me feedback or comment after all.

thnaks

Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:14 AM
  • your problem is the same with mcharnly,,,there is no relation with your type of hardisk to backup the system.

Just switch back to the problem you will see the solution Mike

I hope it will help you.

thnaks

Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Hmmm.. Nice!!! Everyone is having this issue and no proper solution from Microsoft, once again. Is it so hard for mods to reply to those threads even if they don't have the solution... Just inform us that you are investigating this and keep us posted. I also have this issue with the error: 2147943517. The drives are brand ^* new. I can't have IO errors, it is impossible. Can anyone please confirm that "chkdsk /r DRIVE" did help them out?

Ooo.. and microsoft, I am a bit dissapointed..

Andre

• Edited by dre2008 Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:07 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:06 PM