none
Windows 8 and Function keys

Question

• Windows should not trap function keys, because then; those keys can't be used in any programs..

F1 , brings up Windows 8 help center, and it overrides programs hot-keys.

F4 bring up some sidebar control.

F10, brings up the audio control, so programs can't use f10.

If windows needs to have hot keys. maybe they can use the Windows key and then press the  F1 to F12..

Friday, April 19, 2013 10:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have no problem with these keys. I can use them in any applications. Please check whether you install any keyboard assistance tool on computer or try to reinstall keyboard driver.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:23 AM
  • If you're referring to the upper and lower case on the F(x) keys...through trial and error...hitting the F(n) button on bottom of new sys (I believe) win keyboard(I also THINK) allows the use of the "original" function key....for example....F3 "Find Next" is activated by simultaneously hitting the F(n) button and the F3 key....OTHERWISE we got a "You're now in Airplane Mode" response...

Hope this helps

horatio I'm an enthusiast Jim(Kirk)...not a Bricklayer

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:52 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but you have posted your question in a forum that discusses Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF). I’m moving this thread.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Cleber Marques

MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management
    MOF.com.br | CleberMarques.com | CanalSystemCenter.com.br

Sunday, April 21, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

I have no problem with these keys. I can use them in any applications. Please check whether you install any keyboard assistance tool on computer or try to reinstall keyboard driver.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:23 AM
  • If you're referring to the upper and lower case on the F(x) keys...through trial and error...hitting the F(n) button on bottom of new sys (I believe) win keyboard(I also THINK) allows the use of the "original" function key....for example....F3 "Find Next" is activated by simultaneously hitting the F(n) button and the F3 key....OTHERWISE we got a "You're now in Airplane Mode" response...

Hope this helps

horatio I'm an enthusiast Jim(Kirk)...not a Bricklayer

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:52 PM