none
Acitvation of Evaluation Copy of Windows 7

Question

• Finally after lots of phonecalls Microsoft (in The Netherlands) have told me that the Evaluation copy of Windows 7 can only be activated over The Internet. 

When I ask to speak to someone regarding how rediculous this is (as an evaluation copy it will be used on test networks which are usually isolated networks and hence NOT on The Internet) they pass me onto someone else and in the process get cut off!

This issue needs to be feed back to the people who provided this copy - Internet activation is often NOT an option (no modem either).  So either allow activation over the telephone or ship it pre-activated.

As I cannot find links to directly give them feedback - just links to this forum - I have posted this here in the hope that it will get to them and this issue be resolved - or someone has come up with a workaround (10 days is not long enough to test/evaluate).

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hello Nano,

As I said in my original post "Finally after lots of phonecalls Microsoft (in The Netherlands) have told me that the Evaluation copy of Windows 7 can only be activated over The Internet", hence my post to this forum hoping either for access to the engineers who provided the evaluation copy or a viable workaround.  All the phonecalls to Microsoft were a result of telephone activation failing and the operators not knowing why.

Dale's suggestion for feedback draw a blank as the most appropriate page on the first feedback link (Poviding Feedback to Microsoft) he provides points to a nonexistent page (http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/execmail/feedback.mspx).

I am already resigned to the fact that there is no resolution to this thread (so it should be closed unresolved) unless those engineers allow telephone activation, provide a CID, or perhaps a MAK key soley for this purpose (though these only allow a predetermined number of activations).  Even 30 days to activate would be helpful.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by EttrickS Friday, May 07, 2010 7:32 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi EttrickS,

Well, that's how MS activates now, with a new method, to help prevent piracy. Connect the computer to the internet for 30 seconds or less and activate it.

If that is truly not an option, read the Activating MAK clients by Telephone section in this reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979805.aspx#ELAAC

Or, from the reference, run: slmgr.vbs TargetComputerName <UserName> <Password> /atp <CID>, where the CID is the code provided to you when you downloaded the evaluation version.

Microsoft provides a Multiple Activation Key (MAK) for the evaluation software.

• Edited by Nano Warp Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:15 PM add info
    • Proposed as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Friday, May 07, 2010 2:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by EttrickS Friday, May 07, 2010 7:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by EttrickS Friday, May 07, 2010 7:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Yes...Nano Warp is right. Activation in Windows 7 is changed from Windows XP . For more information, please visit the following sites:

What's New in Volume Activation in Windows 7

Windows Activation Technologies in Windows 7

BTW, to submit feedbacks to Microsoft, you can provide your opinions in Poviding Feedback to Microsoft or Feedback|Microsoft Connect

Best Regards
    Dale

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:15 AM
  • Hello Nano,

Thanks for the prompt response, and the time taken.  I hadn't thought of MAK or VAMT.

It still seems getting feedback to the team that provides this is important, as they've made this download difficult to use effectively.  Shame they haven't provided feedback links to themselves and just links to this forum.

Where is the/a MAK for Windows 7 Evaluation?  There's no mention of this on accessible FAQ pages.

Of course this requires more time and effort in setting up this infrastructure - telephone activation only takes around five minutes.  

There is no CID provided when/after downloading.  Unlike normal downloads from Micrsoft that move onto another webpage after/during download that povide other useful information, this stays on the download page even when you close the Akamai Download Manager.

How does disabling telephone activation for the evaluation version improve piracy prevention?

Even for a 30 second connect, this still requires a Request for Change to be drawn up, approved (as a low priority request, it will have to wait for a Change Board regular meeting - another week/fortnight wasted), and the Network Team to get around to configuring a VLAN when the request is approved.  As I said, telephone activation takes about five minutes (and an isolated test network not much longer to setup - pull an old switch out of the cupboard, plug some machines into it, power it all up, and no need to involve any other team in the organisaton, get antivirus protection...).

The FAQ link regarding activation of the evaluation copy within 10 days (http://tnworking.redmond.corp.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/ee388361.aspx) does not work ('Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' - which probably means it's an internal document), so I don't know whether this may have provided some useful information like a MAK or CID.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:29 AM
  • Hi EttrickS,

Simply, Start>Run slui.exe 4, call the telephone number provided for your region and obtain a cid, input that into the dialog box and activate. You should have the key from the download process and the other information needed in the dialog box with the telephone number to obtain an activation cid.

Do you have access approval for a telephone call? ;-)

Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Hello Nano,

As I said in my original post "Finally after lots of phonecalls Microsoft (in The Netherlands) have told me that the Evaluation copy of Windows 7 can only be activated over The Internet", hence my post to this forum hoping either for access to the engineers who provided the evaluation copy or a viable workaround.  All the phonecalls to Microsoft were a result of telephone activation failing and the operators not knowing why.

Dale's suggestion for feedback draw a blank as the most appropriate page on the first feedback link (Poviding Feedback to Microsoft) he provides points to a nonexistent page (http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/execmail/feedback.mspx).

I am already resigned to the fact that there is no resolution to this thread (so it should be closed unresolved) unless those engineers allow telephone activation, provide a CID, or perhaps a MAK key soley for this purpose (though these only allow a predetermined number of activations).  Even 30 days to activate would be helpful.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by EttrickS Friday, May 07, 2010 7:32 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:22 PM