none
Windows 7 Extremely slow on start up

Question

• I have Windows 7 installed on 2 computers.  1st was a clean install on a Gateway laptop (about 3 yrs old) Everything worked perfectly.  Start up is very fast and I have NO complaints.

2nd was an install in my brand new HP HDX18 - Quad Core, 8gb mem, 2 hard drives, etc.  Startup is taking 10+ min. I have disabled all startup services (except msft), I dont have any external hd's attached at the time of boot up, I set my coputer to use original boot config.  I am running out of things to try.  Any ideas....

Heather Waterman SharePoint Desginer www.heatherwaterman.com
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:45 PM

Answers

• I have Windows 7 installed on 2 computers.  1st was a clean install on a Gateway laptop (about 3 yrs old) Everything worked perfectly.  Start up is very fast and I have NO complaints.

2nd was an install in my brand new HP HDX18 - Quad Core, 8gb mem, 2 hard drives, etc.  Startup is taking 10+ min. I have disabled all startup services (except msft), I dont have any external hd's attached at the time of boot up, I set my coputer to use original boot config.  I am running out of things to try.  Any ideas....

Have you tried any maintenance tasks like defragmenting the hard drive, cleaning the registry?
    i at first had this very issue, so i performed the maintenance tasks i mentioned above, i also emptied the recycle bin and performed a disk check for errors on the volume, and told the computer to run with all services on startup.

After i finished performing the maintenance tasks the laptop got a little better, have you thought you memory may not be fully compatible with windows 7, my suggestion is download the drivers for your RAM from HP, then open the properties of the driver, and in 'compatibility' change the box to 'windows vista Service pack 1', then once you have done that double click to install, reboot and see if it works.

If it doesnt please tell me, you can find me here : igotbigshoes@msn.com
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:01 AM
  • As another user stated, when you install Windows 7 over Vista you will find yourself slowing down your computer drastically. Clean installs are safer at this point if performance is an issue for you. The main problem with upgrading of course is that you are just moving your windows folder to another location, so you are losing a lot of space, and leaving all the temp files and old programs that were already there, which will definitely slow you down. I also recommend you run through disk cleanup, defragment, delete all temp files, and you should experience much quicker startups. You may also want to uninstall any programs you never use that are not essential to run your computer.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Heather,

Just a little information for you, I made the mistake of upgrading a friend of mine's HDX18 HP laptop, with the Windows 7 RC. Wow was it a big one! It of course over wrote the Windows Vista files along with over writing the HP recovery files on the partitioned drive. It seems to me that HP makes some of the worst laptops on the market. I tried everything to update this HP and even went to the HP website to find more current drivers, even in Vista, thinking they might work for 7 and it was a total disaster. 10-15 minute boot up times, along with failure to see most of its components such as the finger print reader etc etc. I installed 7 on my Gateway FX that i just bought in Jan of 2009 and Im running like a total champion with 7. No major issues and very little minor issues. Anyway I think HP is way behind the power curve, and they really need to stop making 2000 dollar laptops with up to date technology, and then realize that a new OS is coming very shortly. I hope this helps.

Regards from Iraq
    • Proposed as answer by 08gmchd Friday, August 27, 2010 2:27 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:35 PM

Have you tried any maintenance tasks like defragmenting the hard drive, cleaning the registry?
    i at first had this very issue, so i performed the maintenance tasks i mentioned above, i also emptied the recycle bin and performed a disk check for errors on the volume, and told the computer to run with all services on startup.

After i finished performing the maintenance tasks the laptop got a little better, have you thought you memory may not be fully compatible with windows 7, my suggestion is download the drivers for your RAM from HP, then open the properties of the driver, and in 'compatibility' change the box to 'windows vista Service pack 1', then once you have done that double click to install, reboot and see if it works.

If it doesnt please tell me, you can find me here : igotbigshoes@msn.com
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:01 AM
  • As another user stated, when you install Windows 7 over Vista you will find yourself slowing down your computer drastically. Clean installs are safer at this point if performance is an issue for you. The main problem with upgrading of course is that you are just moving your windows folder to another location, so you are losing a lot of space, and leaving all the temp files and old programs that were already there, which will definitely slow you down. I also recommend you run through disk cleanup, defragment, delete all temp files, and you should experience much quicker startups. You may also want to uninstall any programs you never use that are not essential to run your computer.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 4:09 PM
  • What I noticed after evaluating windows on different machine.
     1st machine was a clean one the system W7 worked properly without any problem on the performance issue. I also had installed several applications, and different kind of documents to make sure that the system worked properly. there was no a real issue of performace even after reboott the system several time.
    howerver the second machine  had windows vista ultimate on it. after an upgrade from vista to windows 7 I noticed that there is a real poor performance on the system. I had to wait more that 10 minutes just to make sure that all the drivers and services are all loaded still the system was poorly performing. and sometimes  certain applications do not respond. this was the first  test. on the same machine I reformat the system and installed windows 7 re-install all the necessary applications and restore all the document. the system was performing properly. unfortunately I advice that the minimum memory requirement should be two GB to properly running windows 7 Hope that with the final version of Windows 7 Microsoft will take into consideration the following issue: 
    1- Better performance in comparaison with Windows Vista
    2  Security  issue need to be tackle seriously this time
    3- Compatibility with certain application that run only on older version
    4- Networking issue specially the sharing application

Ounis Zoubir IT Manager / Network Consultant
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:35 PM
  • No the ram is fully compatible with the HP HDX18 Laptop
    can you let me what kind of anti virus you have and what other TSR are loaded so that we can help
    was this a clean install on the HP HDX18 or an upgrade?

Ounis Zoubir IT Manager / Network Consultant
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:21 PM
  • On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:51:03 +0000, niceget wrote:

> NEVER upgrade an operating system.
    > ...
    > Why never upgrade? Because it's never going to behave like a new installation, period. First backup all your files onto an external hard drive, disks or a Flash Drive. If you don't have the programs to reinstall, bite the bulllet and find them elsewhere and buy them or download older versions from any number of legit "older version sites".

I completely disagree. Although many people will tell you that
    formatting and installing cleanly is the best way to go, I disagree.
    Unlike with previous versions of Windows, when doing an upgrade was
    often a mistake, an upgrade to Windows XP or later replaces almost
    everything, and usually works very well.

The only real exception is when you are having problems; in that
    situation, an upgrade often worsens problems, rather than solving
    them.

My recommendation is to at least try the upgrade, since it's much
    easier than a clean installation. You can always change your mind and
    reinstall cleanly if problems develop.

However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of the need
    to backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before starting to
    upgrade, it's always prudent to recognize that things like a sudden
    power loss can occur in the middle of it and cause the loss of
    everything. For that reason you should make sure you have backups and
    anything else you need to reinstall if the worst happens.
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Is your system disc an SSD?  SSDs with JMicron controllers will eventually slow your boot times to a crawl.  My workstation was taking 15 minutes to log in after a reboot with an OCZ Apex SSD.  After I put my Velociraptors back in, the problem was solved.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:47 PM
  • The only way to see the cause is to make a boot trace:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140247

with the Windows Performance Toolkit.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:58 PM
  • On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 03:53:37 +0000, pctech33 wrote:

Hi,

Several programs running at a time during the startup of your PC might result in Windows 7 slow startup issue. Thus you need to remove unused programs from the startup list of your system. The speed of the booting time of your system would definitely increase by the removal of such unwanted programs.

"Might result" is correct. The number of them is irrelevant. What's
    important is what they are.

Here's my standard post on this subject:

First, note that you should be concerned with all programs that
    start automatically, not just with those that go into the system tray.
    Not all auto-starting programs manifest themselves by an icon in the
    tray.

On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
    Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
    actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show icon"
    option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't
    work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab,
    uncheck the programs you don't want to start automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose of
    running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many people tell
    you, you should be concerned, not with how many of these programs
    you run, but which. Some of them can hurt performance severely, but
    others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should do
    is determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and what
    the cost in performance is of its running all the time. You can try
    internet searches and ask about specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent informed
    decision about what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:51 PM