none
Solution - Error- Media Player 11 Not Configured for the Internet - Vista

Question

• Error Message: Windows Media Player Is Not Configured for the Internet

Windows Vista: Solution for Windows Media Player 11 running on Vista.

When you click on the Media Guide option and instead you get a screen with the error message:”Windows Media Player Is Not Configured for the Internet...please run the Internet Connection Wizard..etc” and can't go any farther, but you ARE connected to the internet.

The error remains even after installing Vista SP-1.

But a hint about the answer is buried-(but not labeled as a Vista solution)- in a MS knowledge base article:

Article ID:265494 - Last Review:January 27, 2007Revision:4.2

about 4 paragraphs down:

“MORE INFORMATION

“After you run the Internet Connection Wizard, the completed binary value is changed from 00 to 01 in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard”

The solution that worked for me was simply manually changing the above Vista registry key in my copy of Vista – the key “Completed” to a value of 01 (from 0). I closed and rebooted (I don't know if you have to reboot in Vista after changing reg values – but I did) – opened Media Player 11 again – clicked Media Guide – and after a little time loading – media guide appeared and appears to work fine.

[hmmm – I don't know, but if you don't have this key in your version of Vista, and Media Player 11 gives you this error , until MS fixes this bug , you may want to create the above key to end your hassles for now- it existed in my Windows Vista Home Edition]

NOTE: See similar post below - but edited with some new information - more detail if you need to add a key...

Greg

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:21 PM

Answers

• Thanks Ronnie - I'm a dead newbie on forums - haven't posted in ages.  Don't have a "Mark as Answer" button on my orig post - think because I flagged it as a question - so I'll repost solution here - and mark it.  I cleaned up the orig post.

Error Message: Windows Media Player Is Not Configured for the Internet

When you click on the Media Guide option and instead you get a screen with the error message:”Windows Media Player Is Not Configured for the Internet...please run the Internet Connection Wizard..etc” and can't go any farther, but you ARE connected to the internet.

A hint about the answer is buried-(but not labeled as a Vista solution)- in a MS knowledge base article:

about 4 paragraphs down:

“MORE INFORMATION

“After you run the Internet Connection Wizard, the completed binary value is changed from 00 to 01 in the following registry key:

The solution that worked for me was simply manually changing the above Vista registry key in my copy of Vista – the key “Completed” to a value of 01 (from 0). I closed and rebooted (I don't know if you have to reboot in Vista after changing reg values – but I did) – opened Media Player 11 again – clicked Media Guide – and after a little time loading – media guide appeared and appears to work fine.

[hmmm – I don't know, but if you don't have this key in your version of Vista, and Media Player 11 gives you this error , until MS fixes this bug , you may want to create the above key to end your hassles for now- it existed in my Windows Vista Home Premium Edition]  Note: new information: some users have added the key if they did not have it or removed a hex based key of the same name and added this type of key:

Per FrankyMusik's post -an answer that worked for him as he had a key on his OS called by the same name-but was not a zero entry.  It was hexidecimal based and not working for Media Player (you can see his post below if you have this kind of key). - Frank helped identify the need for the correct type of key if you're adding:

The type to add is REG_DWORD and what Frank specified looks like the key type already appearing in my Registry in my Windows Vista Home Premium which is:

Key name: Completed 

Type: REG_DWORD 

Data -(value after changing it with your input of 01 appears like this) :  0x00000001 (1)

Note - a user on another BB I posted to is  running - Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 RC - and corresponded to me that he did not have the key in his OS, but added the above key - and it worked for him.

Greg

Friday, May 09, 2008 3:41 PM

All replies

• It looks like you may have found a bug!

That registry key should exist on all versions of Vista.

The Internet Connection Wizard is still a part of Vista. You access it from within Internet Explorer at Tools/Internet Options/Connection Tab/Setup Button.

I was able to re-create what you were seeing in WMP 11 by going to that registry key and changing the data for the 'Completed' value from 1 to 0.

Thanks for posting the information.

If this post answers your question, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message
    so that other members can benefit from the discussion.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:39 PM
  • Thanks, Ronnie for your post.

Ah, I see about the Internet Connection Wizard.   I and other posters at the initial time I was searching for this error were mistaken about Vista not having it.  But here's why I believe we thought that.

I know a couple of months ago I looked all over for it in direct response to the error - and tried many things - searching in help, etc. for anything labelled specifically "Internet Connection Wizard"

Here's why I didn't think it was there (under that specific name that the error in Media Player also calls for) - I didn't come across anything specifically named Internet Connection Wizard. 

I did invoke the wizard then because I remember getting the dialog box I now see following your instructions- but I stopped cold. 

Because this special error happens when you are already connerted to the Internet - and it basically only gives you the new option of setting up another - un-needed connection, etc.

When you invoke the wizard as you described - nothing at the outset tells you you are using the wizard by title (the dialog box that came up for me - as it does now - is titled "connected to the internet" - and the dialog says "You are already connected to the internet" - and you do have the option to "Set up a new connection anyway" which isn't needed.  It's obviously a/the wizard - it's just a bit vague as far as the labelling.

Anyway, thanks!

Thursday, May 08, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Aah - Also, thanks - now that I know that there is a wizard - yes - the reg entry should be in all versions of windows- versus my mistaken logic that the reg entry should probably be in none. And it may be in all versions- but the problem somehow is then that the flag - from 0 to 1 should have been posted correctly by some element in Vista - i.e. how did it remain 0 if I had already been connected.

Greg
    Thursday, May 08, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Greg

I agree, it appears the bug is that the registry key is not being changed properly to 1 when an internet connection is configured. I'll see if I can find more information on this.

Good catch.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, May 08, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Greg

You might want to go to your original message and click the 'Mark as answer' button. Since your original message contains the information for fixing the problem.

This will allow the thread to appear in the Answered Questions section of the forum database.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Thursday, May 08, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Thanks Ronnie - I'm a dead newbie on forums - haven't posted in ages.  Don't have a "Mark as Answer" button on my orig post - think because I flagged it as a question - so I'll repost solution here - and mark it.  I cleaned up the orig post.

Error Message: Windows Media Player Is Not Configured for the Internet

A hint about the answer is buried-(but not labeled as a Vista solution)- in a MS knowledge base article:

about 4 paragraphs down:

“MORE INFORMATION

[hmmm – I don't know, but if you don't have this key in your version of Vista, and Media Player 11 gives you this error , until MS fixes this bug , you may want to create the above key to end your hassles for now- it existed in my Windows Vista Home Premium Edition]  Note: new information: some users have added the key if they did not have it or removed a hex based key of the same name and added this type of key:

Per FrankyMusik's post -an answer that worked for him as he had a key on his OS called by the same name-but was not a zero entry.  It was hexidecimal based and not working for Media Player (you can see his post below if you have this kind of key). - Frank helped identify the need for the correct type of key if you're adding:

The type to add is REG_DWORD and what Frank specified looks like the key type already appearing in my Registry in my Windows Vista Home Premium which is:

Key name: Completed 

Type: REG_DWORD 

Data -(value after changing it with your input of 01 appears like this) :  0x00000001 (1)

Note - a user on another BB I posted to is  running - Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 RC - and corresponded to me that he did not have the key in his OS, but added the above key - and it worked for him.

Greg

Friday, May 09, 2008 3:41 PM
  • The same problem here, but the original value wasn't '0'...

Under the key 'Completed' I found the characters 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 (hex '30' '31' '30' '30' '30' '30' '30') and so I had to add a new key that I named 'Completed' (after deleting the original key that used that name).

As the type of the new key I chose 'REG_DWORD' and then for the value of this new key I typed in a '1'.

This worked for me!!!

Trying to change the value of original key 'Completed' into '1' wasn't possible because of the original 'character type' of the original key.

Thank you a lot for your hints!!! Without your help I would never have tried to solve the WMP11 problem this way...

Thank you.

Frank from Germany

Saturday, May 10, 2008 4:15 PM
  • Hi Frank

Glad you were able to solve your problem with that registry key and thanks for the detailed information.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Saturday, May 10, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Hi Frank-

Glad it helped! And that you also helped clarify what Type of key - REG_DWORD - is needed.  I updated my answer-post referencing you/your new info.

I specified typing in 01 because that's what the knowledge-base article said - but it equals an entry of 1 in this case i see.

What part of Germany? I've a friend in Wiesbaden.

Greg

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Ronnie

Note - more FYI - a user on another BB I posted to is  running - Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 RC - and corresponded to me that he did not have the key in his OS, but added the above key - and it worked for him.

Greg

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:36 PM
  •  

I think there might be more to this issue - I have the same problem with WMP11 on Vista, but in my case the reg key mentioned above was already 1 and changing it doesn't seem to have any effect.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 11:58 AM
  • Hi dracer...

Interesting - i've had similar issues with other things like this on Vista - where the solution that seemed to work for everyone else - fell flat on my pc (such as an error that won't let me add DVDs to the Windows Media Center Library).

Specifically which version of Vista are you running - this may be helpful in specifying fixes as more are found.

Greg
    Friday, May 16, 2008 8:32 PM
  •  

Hi Greg,

I'm running Home Premium. Fully up to date including SP1.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:17 PM
  •  

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:20 PM
  • Thanks, dracer -

So, same OS as me and you're already connected to the internet.  Hmmm. I wonder, though, if Media Player is simply looking for more than one registry indicator  that the Internet Connectin Wizard "has been successfully run" -and we just don't know about the other entry yet and how to set it.

Greg
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 4:03 PM
  • I've been experimenting a bit, and I've noticed that this issue only occurs when I start WMP11 directly: ie; by clicking the link on my quick start bar or by pressing the hot key on my keyboard. When WMP11 starts as a result of double clicking a file it says "contacting online store" during start-up and the media library and guide work fine thereafter.

I’m pretty sure at this stage that while the symptoms are the same, my issue is different to the one most of the people posting in this thread are experiencing, but I hope this info is of help to someone.

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:16 PM
  • I'm having the same message when trying to watch a netflix movie on my pc.  I checked the registry and that key is already a one.  Any suggestions?
    Sunday, June 01, 2008 7:21 AM
  • Eric

Netflix does not use the Windows Media Player for watching movies on your PC. The first time you select to watch an Instant Movie, you must download and install the proprietary Netflix Movie Player.

On the Netflix website just click on 'Help' and then click on the 'How do I watch instant movies on my PC' subject.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 5:43 PM
  •  

Ronnie,

With all do respect - why doesn't MS just fix this.  All this back and forth.  Some things may work for some people - but then you have those poor souls that for some reason (i.e., some configuration is different) that none of these suggestions work.

Just fix it.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:17 AM
  • thank you kb vista user - well said!

let me paraphrase:

"why don't the morons at Microsoft just fix this!!!!!"

good grief!   both WinMediaPlayer and Vista are both MS products!  instead of forcing non-techies to HACK the freaking hairball called the registry?
    Thursday, January 01, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Further to this:

My Vista had

HKEY_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard”

but not

I created the second one, and it worked, and without rebooting. So if you've tried this and it didn't work, make sure you're not looking in the wrong area.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 4:58 AM
  • I used ProcMon to see what Registry Keys Windows Media Player was accessing and noticed that the following key was read and the Value was still "0" even though I had changed it in the previously mentioned area.

HKU\S-1-5-21-914144118-2965684629-3258549822-1282\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard\Completed

After I changed this to a Value of "1", WMP worked.

This was WMP 12 on Windows 7

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:45 PM
  • I tried the mr. fix it and diagnostic, it works and then doesn't work again. there is file corruption or bug in the software. Either some program like real player or divx corrupted the windows kernal and associated the files

Now after rebooting and shutting down computer, the windows media is now no longer opening AGAIN.

So it's intermedittanly not working.

The problem started after installing DIVX player and real player upgrades.

It's software conflict issue or some program has disabled windows media player from opening.

current status ===no solution

It's microsoft problem. i just wasted 1 hour of my time reading b.s. solutions like going to fix registries etc.

Microsoft has billions and lots of phd. programmers working for them, either they don't want to fix it or some virus or something installed.
    lots of spyware in real player, media player, DIVX palyer all adverising etc. all your videos you see is sent back to the server. no privacy corporate america GREED.

microsoft has no intention of fixing this BUG.
    I use free open source media viewers like VLC

http://vlcmediaplayerfreedownload.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_player_software

there are now companies who put viruses in your computer and charget you money to remove the virus scams going on.

these are free software and has no spyware or trojans or viruses that corporate versions..only microsoft would NOT fix a bug like this. microsoft has bilions of PROFITS and cannot afford to fix simple bug like this. media player is essential part o the operating system and they want people to pay for it.? Corporate GREED is the reason for the bugs

Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:05 PM