none
Search within ZIP files

Question

• A wierd thing - I cannot do a serach within ZIP files even though I have this enabled in the search options to Include compressed files (ZIP, CAB..)

I can open the ZIP file but if I perform a search across ZIP files, the search will not search within the ZIP

Any clues would be grateful

Regards

Friday, August 08, 2008 4:20 AM

Answers

• Wodonga

Make sure you have the location of the compressed files indexed. If it isn't indexed, you need to use the Advanced Search option to search in non-indexed locations.

Also, if these are files that were recently added to the system, they may not be indexed yet.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, August 09, 2008 1:26 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply but this didn't work.  The folders were indexed, I removed and then replaced the index but still cannot search the ZIP files.  I have even installed WinZIP and WinRAR but still cannot search within compressed files.

Regards

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:09 AM

All replies

• Wodonga

Make sure you have the location of the compressed files indexed. If it isn't indexed, you need to use the Advanced Search option to search in non-indexed locations.

Also, if these are files that were recently added to the system, they may not be indexed yet.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, August 09, 2008 1:26 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply but this didn't work.  The folders were indexed, I removed and then replaced the index but still cannot search the ZIP files.  I have even installed WinZIP and WinRAR but still cannot search within compressed files.

Regards

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:09 AM
  • I have the same issue: [advanced] search functions do not find filenames within zip files posted to a library.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:32 PM
  • I am also having this problem. Please post if you've found a solution.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:01 PM