none
Promise Ultra 133 TX2 - Win7 Compat Center says it's compatible, but no drivers work!

Answers

• Hey,

I read the windows 7 Compatibility center result on the device you post above, now it shows:

"Information coming soon. We are working with the device manufacture to confirm this product's compatibility."

May be the website was updated recently.

From the manufacture's webside, it is true the latest driver was released in the year 2007. Given this, you can try download Ultra 133 TX2 Windows driver for Vista and install it in Compatible mode as follows:

1. Download the driver and extract it to hard drive. Right-click the exe. file and choose Properties.
    2. Under the Compatibility tab, please check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose "Windows Vista".
    3. Check the box before “Run this program as an Administrator” below.
    4. Click OK to save the settings.
    5. Follow the instruction to install the driver, and test.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, November 27, 2009 5:09 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Hey,

someone told me when it comes to driver issue, it is only the third party manufacture you can count on, it is their work to write new drivers compatible to the latest OS. If Promise won't spare any effort on it and the previous driver did not help, then replace the card. sorry to say that.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:51 AM

All replies

• Hey,

I read the windows 7 Compatibility center result on the device you post above, now it shows:

"Information coming soon. We are working with the device manufacture to confirm this product's compatibility."

May be the website was updated recently.

From the manufacture's webside, it is true the latest driver was released in the year 2007. Given this, you can try download Ultra 133 TX2 Windows driver for Vista and install it in Compatible mode as follows:

1. Download the driver and extract it to hard drive. Right-click the exe. file and choose Properties.
    2. Under the Compatibility tab, please check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose "Windows Vista".
    3. Check the box before “Run this program as an Administrator” below.
    4. Click OK to save the settings.
    5. Follow the instruction to install the driver, and test.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Thanks for your response.  Ahh, indeed, they updated that page after I wrote my initial post.  Nice.

There is no .exe in the RAR to run compatibility mode on.  I finally got a response from Promise saying that the card is too old and that there are no plans to make a Win 7 compatible driver.  Oddly enough, the card is STILL listed on their "Current Products" drop-down on the support page and not their "Legacy/Archived" product drop-down.

The update on the Win 7 Compatibility page gives me a little hope now though.  Perhaps now that Microsoft is asking them for more info it will give Promise a little more incentive to update the driver so MS doesn't update the page to "Not Compatible".  Hey, one can dream, right?  :)

At this rate though, if I have to replace my card, I won't be buying Promise anymore... that's for sure!

Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

As the manufactor indicated, they won't provide the driver for Win7, you can try the driver for windows vista. Pls extract the driver folder first. Go to device Manger, right click the device and right click to "update the driver", choose "let me pick the path". Currently, still a large market belong to Windows Vista even Windows XP, their product can still make money for them, Promise won't cut the way too early. As for the cooperation between Microsoft and Promise, better they can figur it out soon or just forget it.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Hey,

someone told me when it comes to driver issue, it is only the third party manufacture you can count on, it is their work to write new drivers compatible to the latest OS. If Promise won't spare any effort on it and the previous driver did not help, then replace the card. sorry to say that.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Hi,
    I'm already using the same card on Windows 7, but 32 bits version, this way i got it to work perfectly. The 64-bit version however, does not work with the promise ultra133 TX2, so i guess you'll have no other option than to replace the card or to 'dump' the HDD's or use them over a direct USB-connection, which works decently fast nowadays. However, replacing the several HDD's is not a bad case, due to a 'big' reduced power consumption.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Hi,
    I'm already using the same card on Windows 7, but 32 bits version, this way i got it to work perfectly. The 64-bit version however, does not work with the promise ultra133 TX2, so i guess you'll have no other option than to replace the card or to 'dump' the HDD's or use them over a direct USB-connection, which works decently fast nowadays. However, replacing the several HDD's is not a bad case, due to a 'big' reduced power consumption.
    Hope this is helpful.

If you have the money to replace 2 *large* ata hdd, maybe. And since my company decided to lay me off... Meh.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 12:26 AM
  • I was able to get a great deal on some 1TB SATA-II drives on Black Friday, so I'll just dump the old IDEs. Screw you, Promise! :)
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 2:10 AM
  • Dear ThePhoenyx,
    It's not up to me to talk about your budget, but HDD's are really at good prices today, if you look around a little you can get some very descent stuff starting at 70-80$. (50€)
    Anyway, as i already mentioned, if you 'degrade' to a 32 bit version of windows 7 your computer will be perfectly able to get the card running. You could try running a 32-bit release client for free untill you get a new job and you're able to make the step to 64 bit. Windows is much more expensive than a HDD anyway.
    It also broke my heart to dump my three HDD's, but i guess pain will be gone once i get my new screaming fast samsung hdd to run the boot-sector ;) And the weirdest thing, it was one of the cheapest HDD available, but by far one of the fastest, i don't get it...
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 10:39 AM
  • Hi,
    Hope this is helpful.

The Promise Ultra133 TX2 and Promise Ultra100 TX2 both have a BIOS INT 13 API that can only access the first 137GB of the disk.  If your C: paritition lies entirely within the first 137GB you should be fine.  When Vista/Win7 loads the ultra.sys driver it can access the rest of the disk (up to 2TB), allowing you to access any other partitions on the disk (E:, E:, F:, etc).

Ultra.sys loads early in the Windows boot sequence, after C:\bootmgr, C:\Windows\System32\Winload.exe, and C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe.  If any of those files resides beyond the 137GB boundary it won't boot.  Ditto for any other .sys drivers loaded before ultra.sys.

If your C: partition spans the 137GB boundary then you are playing Russian Roulette with your computer.  If a service pack or security update rewrites those files such that they are moved beyond the 137GB boundary, your computer won't boot after the update.
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 1:12 AM
  • Now that is very interesting.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 12:52 PM
  • hy everybody I has had the same problem, the latest driver for Windoxs Vista. However it does work with Seven. you must download in the website of Promise ( http://firstweb.promise.com/upload/Support/Driver/Ultra133%20TX2%20windows%202.1.0.3%20logo%20driver.rar ) the latest driver and install it manually and IT DOES WORK
    Monday, April 26, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Actually it DOES NOT WORK. At least for Win 7 x64 on a new Intel MB with an I5 setup etc. Used your link to get drivers and they install with a code 10 error. It seems that Promise is to greedy to put out a proper driver for Win 7. They think this philosophy will help with future sales. Of course all I see is a reason to avoid them in the future. Same as ATI/AMD who put out a supposedly high end TV turner and then left all the Win 7 users in a lurch by not providing drivers for Win 7 when the Vista versions did not work. How greedy. Everyone and their mother knew that Vista was junk and was going the way that ME did so there is no excuse not to make drivers for Win 7 to support all the people who were smart enough to avoid Vista. Its just pure greed and TOTAL lack of CARE for the customer by Promise, ATI/AMD and of course Microsoft for not insisting that ALL Vista drivers work with Win 7 or providing a fix for them when they don't as they also knew that Vista NEVER should have been published and they owe it to their customers to make sure that ALL their Vista Hardware will work with Win 7. So chalk this one up to greed boys and move on.       

I triple, double and to the infinity and beyound dare Promise, ATI/AMD, and Microsoft to prove me wrong and get working Win 7 drivers published and quit filling up our land fills with what should NOT be useless hardware. And above that I challenge ALL the MVPs to raise the same stink about the geed and refusal to provide drivers and needlessly fill our land fills with hardware garbage.

Ralph Malph

Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Here is an interesting tid bit for you. I have had that card in my Windows 7 x64 machine since Win7 was first released on TechNet and I never once ran into an issue with the driver. However over the past few days I have been upgrading hardware and now I am having the same problem that you are since I reloaded Win7 x64. All of the hardware in the computer is the same as it was when I first loaded it a little over a year ago. The only thing in that box that has changed is I swapped a couple of hard drives and optical drives and I pulled the TV Tuner card from it to put in my new machine. I know that it has been over a year since your original post but if I can find or remember what driver I used back then I will let you know and post you a link for it.
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 1:14 PM
  • by jove, I think I got it!

I seem to have updated the driver successfully for my WIN 7 64 OS.  I downloaded the ULTRA133 TX2 WINDOWS 2.1.0.3 LOGO DRIVER packet to my desktop.  I opened it up.  I went to the AMD64 folder inside that.  Inside are 3 files: ultra.sys, ultra.inf, and ultra.cat.  Just create a folder on your desktop.  Copy and paste those three files into it.  Open DEVICE MANAGER.  Left click the device to update the driver for.  Use the BROWSE FOR DRIVER option.  Direct the updater to the folder that you created on your desktop and VIOLA!

The issue seems to be that the driver updater doesn't know which files it needs, or where to get them, unless you follow those easy steps first.

No charge.  Kudos are welcome.

- bajafreak

Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:03 AM
  • by jove, I think I got it!

I seem to have updated the driver successfully for my WIN 7 64 OS.  I downloaded the ULTRA133 TX2 WINDOWS 2.1.0.3 LOGO DRIVER packet to my desktop.  I opened it up.  I went to the AMD64 folder inside that.  Inside are 3 files: ultra.sys, ultra.inf, and ultra.cat.  Just create a folder on your desktop.  Copy and paste those three files into it.  Open DEVICE MANAGER.  Left click the device to update the driver for.  Use the BROWSE FOR DRIVER option.  Direct the updater to the folder that you created on your desktop and VIOLA!

The issue seems to be that the driver updater doesn't know which files it needs, or where to get them, unless you follow those easy steps first.

No charge.  Kudos are welcome.

- bajafreak

I was trying to find a replacement for the ultra 100 until I found this  reply.  I works great.

Thanks for the info

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:43 AM
  • Hello there! After a lond time, I comment on this issue as I'm having the same problem. 

I have done exactly what is suggested above (from bajafreak) but no luck. The driver is not compatible with win7 64bit and the promise card does not work. 

The message mentions

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. 

Windows Vista x64 Promise Ultra 133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller

This device cannot start.(Code 10)

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and then check the support section for driver software. 

"

Still there is no support on Win 7 64bit for Promise Technology Ultra 133 TX2 card. 

If anyone has found any solution to this problem please let us know...

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:33 PM
  • I also tried what bajafreak suggested but to no avail. Perhaps Bajafreak was using a 32-bit version of Windows 7---it's the only thing I can think of if it worked for him.

I received the exact same error message that you got:  "This device cannot start.(Code 10)"

I've about given up on this one; I think we either have to install the driver for the Ultra133 TX2 on a 32-bit operating system or from within a previous version of Windows.

Costacost: Did you (or anyone else on here) have any subsequent luck with installing this device in Windows 7 (64-bit)?

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Thank you very much! WORKED like a charm, now I can use my older DVD-RW drives and my IDE HDD's.
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:25 PM