none
Won't detect my blank disc nor ubuntu image on disc

Question

• I have a blank rewritable cd from office depot that I have not gotten my computer to detect while its blank, nor when I put ubuntu onto it.

I know that its detected on my dad's 32 bit vista, which is the same computer I used to burn the image on Roxio. And I know that it boots with the burned on ubuntu on his computer.
    But it will not detect it after multiple tries on my computer. Neither during bootup or after bootup.

Regular CDs and DVDs are detected and play fine though.

Specs:
    I have Windows RC on this computer. The drivers say they are updated and working.
    This is a laptop that originally came with Vista x64, that I have reformatted first with Windows 7 Beta 32 bit, then Windows 7 RC 32 bit.
    (at the moment I prefer 32 bit cause its compatible with my printer)

Troubleshooting:
    I already tried everything in this link. Vista Blank Disc Issue

• Edited by Fuzzoom Friday, July 03, 2009 9:10 AM
    Friday, July 03, 2009 9:03 AM

Answers

• Hi

From your description, it sounds like it could be a problem with the rewriteable disk? Especially since all other types of disks appear to be working normally.

Some drives do have problems with certain brands of RW disks.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, July 03, 2009 10:10 PM

All replies

• Hi

From your description, it sounds like it could be a problem with the rewriteable disk? Especially since all other types of disks appear to be working normally.

Some drives do have problems with certain brands of RW disks.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, July 03, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Hmm well this computer was bought with HP Mediasmart software... I tried downloading as many drivers as possible...
    But perhaps it didn't get a driver for RW or something...

Though when I look under My Computer it says "DVD RW Drive"

If there was a driver I needed to get, it'd probably be on this page... HP Drivers
    I'm not for certain rather to use the 32 bit or 64 bit, since the computer has 64 bit, but the Windows 7 installed is 32 bit.
    This is my exact laptop .

What do you think? Find anything?

Edit:
    Oh wait... so your saying that my Laptop may just not recognize the Office Depot rewritable disc, period?
    If that is true, that stinks. D:
    • Edited by Fuzzoom Friday, July 03, 2009 11:06 PM or did you mean...
    Friday, July 03, 2009 10:47 PM
  • Well I guess there is no easy resolution. But I do know I can get things bootable with my external hard drive with enough hard effort.

So I guess I will just try to make a bootable live cd on my 160 GB HD.

In theory I think that will mean I can then put other operating systems in folders on that external hard drive, instead of having to make sure each one is "bootable".
    Because I will be able to navigate to the setup files inside of the ubuntu desktop live thingie majig.

---

Bummer.

Thanks for your help.
    • Edited by Fuzzoom Saturday, July 04, 2009 6:23 AM thanks
    Friday, July 03, 2009 11:10 PM