none
USB Device Has Malfunctioned Error

Question

• My experience with Vista was fine I had a few errors here and there, but nothing I couldn't;t work with and fix. When Windows 7 for upgrade @ 50$ was released I decided to get it. However ever since the upgrade I have had nothing but Problems, Problems, and more problems. About 2 days into using Windows 7 all my USB ports, when mass storage devices were inserted would reject them saying that it malfunctioned. However this would only be about 5 minutes after the reboot. I looked across forums for a day until i came across the motherboard reset fix. Well that worked for my USB drives except my iPod touch. My iPod touch continued getting the error and at times when i would restore it the loading bar would stick because the device was rejected halfway through the restore, but did not tell me. After this problem I looked up iPod related problems and found it was a registry error. That Fixed it!...Well temporarily. IT allowed me to use my iPod all day yesterday but continually told me that it was not a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 slot, this was not a problem for me because it worked. However today the second i put my iPod into restore by accident the same problem happened again but this time rebooting did not fix it even temporarily. I am really frustrated with Windows 7 because i know it has some intervention with the error. I do have a nvdida nforce chip set and USB 2.0 slots and will post other specs when needed. If anyone has any advice please help...

Thanks,
    Bammaster 
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Bammaster,

Please let us know your computer model or the motherboard model, and if there is exclamation marks in the Device Manager.

In my opinion, it’s better to verify the following registry again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

If you found the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present on the right pane. Please delete the two values.

In addition, you can try to reinstall USB controllers using the following steps.

===========================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

I hope this can help you.

John Zhu

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, November 27, 2009 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:33 AM

All replies

• Are you using a desktop pc or laptop? Is there any yellow exclamation mark on the device manager>usb controller?

Friday, November 13, 2009 6:18 AM
  • Hi Bammaster,

Please let us know your computer model or the motherboard model, and if there is exclamation marks in the Device Manager.

In my opinion, it’s better to verify the following registry again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

If you found the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present on the right pane. Please delete the two values.

In addition, you can try to reinstall USB controllers using the following steps.

===========================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

I hope this can help you.

John Zhu

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, November 27, 2009 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:33 AM
  • Hi Bammaster,

Have you tried my suggestions yet?

If the USB ports still failed to work after trying my suggestions, you can try to install the Hotfix, and the Chipset driver for your comptuer.  

I hope this can help you!

John Zhu
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:04 AM