none
Windows 7 Beta Disc won't Boot

Question

• I downloaded the 32bit beta from technet Sunday, and the size is 2.43GB (from what I've been able to find, is the right size), and the md5 sum checks out.  I burnt it to a DVD-R using InfraRecorder at 1x speed, and I've tried it on three computers, and all fail to boot to the DVD.  Also, all three of them have the correct boot order, allowing the dvd drive to boot first.  Is there something I could have done wrong?  Or is anyone else having these problems?

Thanks
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:39 PM

Answers

• No Error when trying to boot; boot process goes normally as if no bootable disc is in.

I used InfraRecorder at 1x speed. But maybe I'll try it again with IMGBURN if my virtual box will read the ISO.

The files listed look like similar in nature to a xp or vista install disc when explored. (Folders - Boot, Efi, Sources, Support, Upgrade. Files - Autorun, Bootmgr, Setup) However, on one of my XP computers, the disc won't read, but that may be caused by an old dvd rom drive, i'm not sure.  I don't use that computer often enough to be fimiliar with its nuances.  And if I autoplay it on either computer, nothing happens.

I forgot to try my virtual software, which is Sun VirtualBox. I'll try that to see if it works.

I believe the image should be bootable, considering I use InfraRecorder to burn all of my bootable Linux live and install cd's.

I'll let you know what I find!

Thanks for all the help so far!

UPDATE

I've made it to the Starting Windows screen in VirtualBox, so it must have been my burn.  Thanks so much for the reminder about vm's, i dont know how i forgot about such a valuable tool!

Next, I'll try a reburn on a new dvd, and we'll go from there!!!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:45 PM

All replies

• You may try using IMGBURN to take InfraRecorder out of the equation.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Couple quick clarifying questions:

• Do you get an error message when trying to boot?
    • What burning software are you using and what parameters (or command line) are you burning with?
    • From within an existing OS (e.g. XP, Vista) put the DVD in your tray, navigate through explorer to your DVD drive, and provide a list of some of the files.

Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:43 PM
  • Do you have access to any virtual software? I am wondering if the .iso is corrupt. If you had for example VMWare or Virtual PC you could attempt to begin the install from a virtual machine. If that installs properly you have a good .ISO otherwise you'll have to download again.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:55 PM
  • If you put the disc in a computer that has windows running and you browse the disc does it show the setup files or the ISO file.  It is possessible that it just copied the ISO to the DVD as a file rather than treating it as a DVD Disc.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:56 PM
  • I know this will sound silly, but did you burn the image so that it is bootable. It took me 2 days to find a freeware burning program that burns the  ISO to a bootable disk. I'm used to using PowerISO, which is no longer available to me. Once I had the right program, it burned the ISO without a problem (don't remember the name of the program, which is on my desktop and I'm writing on my laptop). Of course, you know that the optical drive must be first in the boot order.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:59 PM
  • That is not the right size file, I had exactly the same. On Sunday the file size was 3.15GB and when burnt and run it installs perfectly.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:07 PM
  • topofall said:

That is not the right size file, I had exactly the same. On Sunday the file size was 3.15GB and when burnt and run it installs perfectly.

Hmmmmm...it is...actually is 2.44 GB.Where did u get the 3.15 GB one?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:17 PM
  • No Error when trying to boot; boot process goes normally as if no bootable disc is in.

I used InfraRecorder at 1x speed. But maybe I'll try it again with IMGBURN if my virtual box will read the ISO.

The files listed look like similar in nature to a xp or vista install disc when explored. (Folders - Boot, Efi, Sources, Support, Upgrade. Files - Autorun, Bootmgr, Setup) However, on one of my XP computers, the disc won't read, but that may be caused by an old dvd rom drive, i'm not sure.  I don't use that computer often enough to be fimiliar with its nuances.  And if I autoplay it on either computer, nothing happens.

I forgot to try my virtual software, which is Sun VirtualBox. I'll try that to see if it works.

I believe the image should be bootable, considering I use InfraRecorder to burn all of my bootable Linux live and install cd's.

I'll let you know what I find!

Thanks for all the help so far!

UPDATE

I've made it to the Starting Windows screen in VirtualBox, so it must have been my burn.  Thanks so much for the reminder about vm's, i dont know how i forgot about such a valuable tool!

Next, I'll try a reburn on a new dvd, and we'll go from there!!!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:45 PM
  • terenteyo said:

topofall said:

That is not the right size file, I had exactly the same. On Sunday the file size was 3.15GB and when burnt and run it installs perfectly.

2.44 GB = 32 bit
    3.15 GB = 64 bit
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:50 PM
  • UPDATE 2

Even though I closed all unnecessary apps, and have 2 gigs of RAM, after getting to the Starting Windows screen, virtual box stated that there was insufficient memory, which marks the first time this computer has achieved this message in any application. So, i'll try to burn the disc again.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:59 PM
  • On Saturday last I tried to download via an alternative link and everytime it hun around 120MB, later on the Microsoft link came up and the download started announcing itself as 2.44GB. I burnt this to DVD and it would not run. I downloaded it again and did the same and it would not run. On Sunday the same download link was giving the file size as 3.15GB and I downloaded this and burned the DVD and it ran and installed so I assumed that that was the correct one. Because of some of my hardware not working I uninstalled it so I can't say what I installed now!
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:17 PM
  • I used a program call cd burner xp pro. google it. Great burner and free. Also when booting from DVD did you get the screen that said press any key to boot from cd? 
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Dan--the--man said:

terenteyo said:

topofall said:

2.44 GB = 32 bit
    3.15 GB = 64 bit

Got it :) but the guy who opened this thread was talking about the 32 bit version :P
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Hi guys

I burnt the Windows 7 ISO on a DVD,rebooted but this DVD wont boot :(,any suggestions please?Do i need to add anything else as boot image or ..?
    P.S yes i did setup in bios my DVD-RW as primary boot device:)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:41 AM
  • Hi Shick,
    can you please try to burn your image in the slowest speed. It should fix the issue

regards

Erdal
    www.ceotraining.com.au
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:46 AM
  • I burned the ISO image with Roxio using 4X speed and it worked perfectly? May be you can try out some other free burning software.
    BTW does it show any error while booting like not able to access disk? 
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:02 AM
  • Nirmal T V said:

I burned the ISO image with Roxio using 4X speed and it worked perfectly? May be you can try out some other free burning software.
    BTW does it show any error while booting like not able to access disk? 

I used Nero and burnimg ...nope..no errors at all just doesnt boot from DVD,is booting my XP from HDD...
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:17 AM
  •  I had an issue with boot, giving "code 5, unable to boot. . ." hooked up the DVD drive to a different IDE controller and it worked fine. There appears to be some issue with the boot img code related to SIS IDE drivers. Perhaps the same reason I can't get it to load after I do the install. Freezes up when it initilizes the HAL.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:11 PM
  •  I had the same problem with an relatively old computer... the problem here is the BIOS not reading the boot sectors correctly.

After a couple of days testing ideas, I came to a workaround described here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/2591-boot-error-code-5-a-2.html#post31719

Basically, you'll have to use a boot manager disk to boot the Windows 7 DVD.

At least, it worked for me.

Regards and good Beta-Testing!

AMD
    • Proposed as answer by AlfaMikeDelta Monday, February 09, 2009 3:13 PM
    Monday, February 09, 2009 5:35 AM
  • Howdy Alpha,

I came up with the same sort of observations too, but a different work around.....

The old bios, and board, didn't boot from an old dvd-rom, nor from a new dvd-rw.

I tried several steps, upgrading from ME on up, but still no ability to install on the older system, w7 didn't have the ability to convert to ntfs as does XP during an install without doing a full clean or custom install, and still would not work to save old files.

Finally trying a RAW drive unformatted XP installed under NTFS ok, Vista OK Win7, no-go.......

I did a simple install of Vista, no key added, then ran setup from Win7, selected custom full, it went fin without a hitch, and this time it saved the Vista files in a separate OLD WINDOWS folder...

Plus W7 made proper choices of drivers and setups for everything except the old agp geforce mx400 4x, it picked standard vga instead...

Why my disc boots on some systems and not others, I have to agree it's the BIOS, Old ASUS boards no problem, semi old msi or intel, might make you work...

Either way NTFS formatted drives are required to do an upgrade type of install even if you use it as a work around to do a full install of W7... No need to put the key in if you use vista as your jump off system...

PS. I got this to go on an old ASUS with an amd 700, 2 sticks of sdram a 256 and a 128, and an old vanta 2x agp, and an old realtech lan card, and it was about an hour to running online, most other installs run 20 to 40 minutes to completion...

Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:45 PM