none
New graphics card -> no sound

Question

• Hi

I just install a new graphics card  (ASUS EAH4650/DI/512MD2/A/(LP)) .  It is powerd by ATI Radeon HD 4650 GPU.

The graphics works fine.  But the sound sound from the motherboard has stopped working.  To be specific: No sound from the mini-jack output.

I have tried to switch back to the old graphics card and the sound works fine.  So it is when I insert the graphics card the sound disappears.

On 'Control Panel' -> 'Sound' -> 'Playback' only 'ATI HDMI Output is visible.  (it is set to display both disconnected and disabled devices).
    On 'Control Panel' -> 'Device Manager' -> 'Sound, video and game controllers'  'ATI High Definition Audio Device' is the only audio device

I have tried to disable 'ATI High Definition Audio Device'-driver and to uninstall it. 

I suspect that both my motherboard and my new graphics card has a Realtek sound-chip

I have tried to install all applications from asus (http://www.asus.no/product.aspx?P_ID=YotIZkWBmLIiqdcX) but they give me no possibility to disable the sound as I can see.

Any Idea how I can get the sound from my motherboard to work?
    I will not use the HDMI, so it is OK if the sound from that device is disabled.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:15 AM

Answers

• Problem solved.
    It was a BIOS issue.  A new 'audio device' was detected and the motherboard sound was disabled.

Thanks folks

• Marked as answer by jimoe Friday, February 05, 2010 1:22 PM
    Friday, February 05, 2010 1:22 PM

All replies

• Tell us more about your hardware.  What is the exact make, model, and series of you motherboard and/or system.  Hasve you installed the latest Windows 7 drivers for your audio device?

Need more information!
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:03 AM
  • hm.  Sorry.  Have written this several places and forgot to name the computer here...

The computer is a 'HP Compaq dc7700p Small Form Factor'.
    I run Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

The problem is the same with the drivers Windows 7 automatically installed, the drivers I got when I used 'update driver' and the latest drivers I downloaded from ASUS (http://www.asus.no/product.aspx?P_ID=YotIZkWBmLIiqdcX).  I have tried this both for the graphics card itself and the driver that was installed for 'Sound, video and game controllers' in the device manager.

I have installed:
    - GamerOSD V3.06.1201
    - ASUS Smart Doctor version 5.52
    -
    ati896_Win7Vista64.zip

Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Do not install drivers or utility software from other manufacturers.  You have a Compaq not an Asus.  Asus downloads have been modified for Asus hardware, not Compaq hardware.  You don't have a Windows 7 problem, you have a problem with trying to use software intended for other hardware.

Install ALL the correct drivers for your system and then see if your system functions correctly.  It seems HP doesn't support 64-bit Win 7.  You need to talk to HP Tech Support about this.  Microsoft cannot fix something caused by inccorect software and drivers!

Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:37 PM
  • HDMI interface can output both Video and Audio.  I would check ATI's control pannel.  Browse around for HDMI settings.  It should have an audio settings for it. I bet it's set to output PCM audio through HDMI. I would see if I can disable the HDMI audio output (refer to video card manual).   Once that is done, Audio should come from your motherboard. 

It's not your mainboard because it works with another video card.  It's obvious it's the ATI card.  It's just a basic configuration error. Probably set by accident during the installation wizard, expecially if you are not famillar with what it's telling you.

Friday, February 05, 2010 3:02 AM
  • I installed drivers for the graphics card from the manufacturer of the graphics card.  But this I only did after I noticed that that the sound did not play. 

So the list of what I have installed is only a list of solutions I have tried, but did not work.

You can just ignore that if you like.  If so; this is the case:
    I inserted the graphics card.  Drivers was automatically installed by windows 7.  The graphics works perfectly, but the sound disappeared.
    • Proposed as answer by 13glen26 Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 05, 2010 11:09 AM
  • There are no 'ATI' (or similar) listed in 'Control Panel' :(
    I will look further but have so far not found any where I can disable of switch the output of the sound.  As I can see it should have been done in 'Control Panel' -> 'Sound' -> 'Playback'  but here only the HDMI is available.

There were no wizard.  Windows 7 installed all by itself after starting the computer after installing the card.

That is why I have tried to install other software for the graphics card from the manufacturer; to see if I can find any option for disabling the sound.  But I  have not found any...
    Friday, February 05, 2010 11:15 AM
  • hm.  Sorry.  Have written this several places and forgot to name the computer here...

The computer is a 'HP Compaq dc7700p Small Form Factor'.
    I run Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

The problem is the same with the drivers Windows 7 automatically installed, the drivers I got when I used 'update driver' and the latest drivers I downloaded from ASUS (http://www.asus.no/product.aspx?P_ID=YotIZkWBmLIiqdcX).  I have tried this both for the graphics card itself and the driver that was installed for 'Sound, video and game controllers' in the device manager.

I have installed:
    - GamerOSD V3.06.1201
    - ASUS Smart Doctor version 5.52
    -
    ati896_Win7Vista64.zip

The major problem is that you have a system configuration that HP does not support so there are any number of reason as to why you don't have sound.

Have you installed the latest chipset driver from Intel?

Have you installed the latest Realtek HD Audio Codecs driver from www.realtek.com.tw ?

Basically you have an overall hardware problem and not a Windows 7 64-bit problem.  I don't think this forum was intended to solve unsupported hardware configurations.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 12:02 PM
  • Problem solved.
    It was a BIOS issue.  A new 'audio device' was detected and the motherboard sound was disabled.

Thanks folks

• Marked as answer by jimoe Friday, February 05, 2010 1:22 PM
    Friday, February 05, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Problem solved.

Thanks folks

I don't understand the craze to blame every problem that pops up as a problem caused by Windows 7!
    Friday, February 05, 2010 2:15 PM