none
Windows XP Mode Application delays and won't open from Windows 7

Question

• Hi All,

Searched all day for answers to my problem and so hoping to have your help! :-) With gratitude for any suggestions.

Installed Windows 7 Professional, Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode so as to use Canon 20D EOS Viewing Utility in seamless mode on Windows 7 professional.  (Basically, I need to view pics right as I take them with my camera and that program does it but is not compatible with Windows 7).

Installs seem to have went fine however when I go to Start- All Programs- Windows Virtual Pc- Windows XP Mode Applications- and then click on the application I need which is EOSViewerUtility1.1, a box opens that says "Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC" and then a green bar running that says below it "starting virtual application".  Finally a large blue screen box opens and has at the top the words  "Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC" and still says it's "starting virtual application."  It never does finally open up the program but just has the green bar running at the top like it wants to open up.

It seems to me the blue box is really the Windows XP Mode box as it looks like that.  So it appears that the program app is not really opening up in Windows 7 but just the XP Mode box.  

Not sure what I did wrong but I sure do need my camera to take pics that I can instantly view for my sculpture business.  Any advice is so appreciated!

Sincerely,

~Tamara

P.S.  Application still isn't open even after writing all this so I'll finally close it once again.  

Monday, April 09, 2012 11:47 PM

Answers

• Guess what?  This newbie got the application to work by..... actually shutting down xp mode properly instead of just hibernating.  So I think all is well with the machine.  Even though I can open the program in Windows 7, my Canon 20D doesn't have a driver compatible with Windows 7 so it's not recognized.

Can I share a driver from XP Mode with Windows 7?

or....

Can I share an entire folder of pics I take in XP mode and use network sharing  in order to transfer them to my host Windows 7 computer?

Thanks again for advice and guidance.  I appreciate it a lot. :-)

Tamara

Friday, April 13, 2012 8:07 PM

All replies

•   Does the application run properly if you start up the XP virtual machine and run the app directly in XP? Did you test it that way when you installed it in XP?  If that doesn't work there is no way it will run from Win 7.

Bill

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Yes, it works just fine in the XP mode virtual machine.  Just can't get applications to open in Windows 7.

~Tamara

Tamara

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Tried putting the pics that I took in the Virtual XP box and share that by pasting a shortcut the pic file in "All Users."  Then closed VP box and went to XP mode applications and the file was there.  Clicked on it and had the same trouble of it never opening but trying to it seems with a green bar constantly going saying it's starting virtual application.  

I did make sure in the VP box that the file was allowed to be shared with other computers on the network etc.  Sure wish I could find a solution.  

Tamara

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

How about adding other applications under Windows XP Mode Applications for a test. If other applications occur the same issue, I suggest reinstalling Virtual PC and XP Mode to check the result.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Hi Niki,

That sounds like a good idea to reinstall it (even though it took an hour or more to load the big file).  I have tried other applications and has the same result of delaying and not opening.  I'll try your idea. 

Thank you,

~Tamara

Tamara

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:19 PM
  • What does the virtual pc file look like?  I went to uninstall programs in Windows 7 and see several files from Microsoft but the don't exactly say "Virtual PC".  Seven or so say close to this "Microsoft Visual C++...... Redistributable"  Just don't want to delete the wrong program.

Just saw an announcement on this forum that reads "Windows XP Mode will no longer require hardware virtualization technology to run." Does this mean that I only need to load the Windows XP Mode and not the big file of the virtual PC?

Tamara

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

You can refer to the following articles.

Uninstall XP mode
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee431673(WS.10).aspx

Reinstall XP mode
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Niki Han

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:04 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the links.  Do you think that I need to load the virtual machine to run XP mode since the announcement was made it won't be needed?  Don't know when that goes into effect. 

Tamara

Friday, April 13, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Guess what?  This newbie got the application to work by..... actually shutting down xp mode properly instead of just hibernating.  So I think all is well with the machine.  Even though I can open the program in Windows 7, my Canon 20D doesn't have a driver compatible with Windows 7 so it's not recognized.

Can I share a driver from XP Mode with Windows 7?

or....

Can I share an entire folder of pics I take in XP mode and use network sharing  in order to transfer them to my host Windows 7 computer?

Thanks again for advice and guidance.  I appreciate it a lot. :-)

Tamara

Friday, April 13, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear you find the resolution. You can share a driver from XP Mode with Windows 7. However, it won't be accessed if you close or hibernate XP Mode.

Niki Han

Monday, April 16, 2012 3:10 AM