none
How do I get my Windows Product Key back?

Question

• Hello!

Is it possible for me to get back my Windows Vista Product Key after upgrading to Windows 8 Preview?

Right now my computer is running Windows 8 Preview. I upgraded from Windows Vista without writing out the old product key from the Registry because the Microsoft logo that contains the key at the back of the computer is no longer visible. 

I will like to know if I can still get the key back and the necessary steps to follow.

Thank you

• Edited by saintgr8 Friday, July 06, 2012 11:42 AM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 11:39 AM

Answers

• Yes, I have a COA sticker but it is worn out already and beside it is the manufacturer sticker as well but  still very visible. The manufacturer is HP.

You mean I can contact them to get generic key for activation? 

Please see: Looking for HP Recovery Discs?

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:58 PM

All replies

• On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 11:39:37 +0000, saintgr8 wrote:

>
    >
    >Hello!
    >
    >Is it possible for me to get back my Windows Vista Product Key after upgrading to Windows 8 Preview?
    >
    >Right now my computer is running Windows 8 Preview. I upgraded from Windows Vista without writing out the old product key from the Registry because the Microsoft logo that contains the key at the back of the computer is no longer visible.
    >
    >I will like to know if I can still get the key back and the necessary steps to follow.
    >
    >Thank you

Your Product Key should be on a COA sticker on the machine's case
    (assuming you purchased it with Windows pre-installed)
    If the sticker is illegible, you may still be able to reinstall using
    the manufacturer's Recovery mdeia, which has their Key embedded thus
    removing the need for the COA sticker.
    Look here for examples of the sticker
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, July 06, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Thank you Noel.

I still have the manufacturer's label embedded at the back of the computer. You mean with that I should be able to get my product key back?

Now, how do I carry on with the information from the manufacturer.

Please direct me on this

Thank you!

Monday, July 09, 2012 10:28 AM
  • Do you have a COA sticker?   http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

If so, then the Key should be on that - try using a bright light and a magnifier to read it.

You can order a set of disks from the manufacturer which contain their generic Key for self-activation on your computer, or you can reinstall from the correct Retail disk using the Key from your COA sticker.

If the manufacturer cannot provide a set of disks for whatever reason, try  one of the more reputable dealers in Recovery disks - such as restoredisks.com

Make sure that you get the proper disk for your make and model of machine, and the proper edition of Vista

Monday, July 09, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Yes, I have a COA sticker but it is worn out already and beside it is the manufacturer sticker as well but  still very visible. The manufacturer is HP.

• Edited by saintgr8 Monday, July 09, 2012 11:09 AM
    Monday, July 09, 2012 11:08 AM
  • I can tell you what the HP Key is - but it won't do any good unless you install either using the manufacturer's Recovery partition utilities, or their Recovery disks, both of which have the Key embedded anyhow.

Monday, July 09, 2012 11:17 AM

Please see: Looking for HP Recovery Discs?

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:58 PM