change windows 8 start menu to windows 7 start menu

Question

• I just installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview edition and I tried to modify the RPEnabled to 0, so I can have the Windows 7 Start Menu. After a restart, the MetroUI menu is still there. Does anyone what is causing this? This should work.

Regards Remus Rigo

Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:47 PM

Answers

• M$ stated that Start menu removed from Win8 CP and later.

Sad but true. Hovewer you can use ViStart app to attach app-based Start menu to empty Taskbar panel that you can create in the left corner. Works acceptable to use it - recommended. Also I restored QuickLaunch on the right corner before tray zone.

• Marked as answer by Remus Rigo Monday, March 05, 2012 11:40 AM
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:50 PM

All replies

• M$ stated that Start menu removed from Win8 CP and later.

Sad but true. Hovewer you can use ViStart app to attach app-based Start menu to empty Taskbar panel that you can create in the left corner. Works acceptable to use it - recommended. Also I restored QuickLaunch on the right corner before tray zone.

• Marked as answer by Remus Rigo Monday, March 05, 2012 11:40 AM
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:50 PM
  • There's a youtube video on how to enable the old start menu in Win8 preview so its supposedly still there. Don't know how true it is, never tried it myself. See no point to Win8 if going that route - just stick with Win7... unless your looking to skate a while for free on the preview till it ends.
    Monday, March 05, 2012 2:13 AM
  • As it stands now with the CP release, there is no method of restoring the old start menu.  You can make a rudimentary workaround by pinning the start folder to the taskbar, but it won't operate the same as the old start menu.  The start screen is the new hotness.  :/
    Monday, March 05, 2012 2:19 AM
  • Why you want to change it to old start? Do you have any problem or issue?

It is new idea in Windows and future version of Windows would be this way. You could post back suggestion to improve Metro , but you should say good bye to old start menu. In metro you have more space and you could view start application easier.

Monday, March 05, 2012 10:52 AM
  • I too would like to see something such as a Group Policy Setting allowing the old start menu. In a corporate desktop environment I do not want to force users to the new metro start screen. I'm not willing to accept the gain of the new features of the metro start screen at the expense of losing the functionality
    of the old start menu. I do see it's value the touch, tablet, and iOS competition market, but not in my traditional desktop deployment. I don't want to see it go
    away, but given as an "option" we can choose to not use if it does not make sense for our environment.

Jared Pickerell
    Technology Director
    Troy Public Schools, USD 429

Monday, March 05, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Spoken like a true fanboy.  What ever crap they hand down must be the new paradigm!  Right.
    Monday, March 05, 2012 11:36 PM
  • Spoken like a true fanboy.  What ever crap they hand down must be the new paradigm!  Right.

Hi AZjack

Be nice!

Windows is all about choices and preferences.

S. Sinofsky was recently quoted as saying: "Designing/building for Windows or Office is like ordering a pizza for a billion people and trying to make them all happy."

We had this same discussion (a thousand times) about the missing Classic start menu in Windows 7. All of the users who wanted the classic version are now using the third party 'classic shell start menu'. It was a bit comical to see the exact same users complaining about the 'bloat' in Windows 7. :)

The real power of windows is that no matter what you want, at least one of the thousands of third party developers out there will be offering a 'free' program designed to make the exact change that you want to see.

Regards

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:24 AM
  • So, how are you enjoying your copy of Classic Shell, Ronnie?

Are you sure it will be updated to provide a Start-Menu?  (Or, any functional replacement).

Wouldn't it be great if MS shipped Classic Shell with W8.

PS.  Me personally.  I stuck with Vista.  Too many bugs in W7 Explorer.

Hi meee222

I did test both the Classic start menu and a couple of Explorer replacements and they worked as advertised.

I don't use any of these, but I also don't have a problem recommending them, as long as they don't create any problems.

Regards

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:53 AM

It is new idea in Windows and future version of Windows would be this way. You could post back suggestion to improve Metro , but you should say good bye to old start menu. In metro you have more space and you could view start application easier.

In case you haven't noticed, a great majority are not impressed with the new interface, and I for one don't need my computer to mimic a phone with three 24" screens.

I realize there will be those that will defend Microsoft's decision to the last breath (because they are supposed to), but this whole thing is truly awful.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:05 PM

Hi AZjack

Be nice!

S. Sinofsky was recently quoted as saying: "Designing/building for Windows or Office is like ordering a pizza for a billion people and trying to make them all happy."

We had this same discussion (a thousand times) about the missing Classic start menu in Windows 7. All of the users who wanted the classic version are now using the third party 'classic shell start menu'. It was a bit comical to see the exact same users complaining about the 'bloat' in Windows 7. :)

The real power of windows is that no matter what you want, at least one of the thousands of third party developers out there will be offering a 'free' program designed to make the exact change that you want to see.

Regards

So where is our choice to use the same interface we've been happy with for 17 years ?
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:07 PM
  • other than having to scroll through 4 to 8 screens to get to the program that i want to launch, why wouldn't i want a start menu?
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Why do you need to go through so many screens? I just press the start button on my keyboard and type in the program name I want and it comes up in the menu. Its the same as the windows 7 orb functionality wise. Since Windows Vista I have stopped navigating the start menu, I just search for the app.
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:22 PM

I don't want more space on my start menu.  In every iteration of windows I have made the start menu as minimilist as possible.  Opening across the entire screen is not minimilist and it affects the way I do my work. 

Understand the way that I work. 

I operate primarily from the Taskbar.  As I speak now, I have 21 things open.  I have 2 22" monitors.  On those monitors I have 2 windows in view.  But behind them I have others that I can bring to the front by simply clicking on them.  I usually have several things happening at once, Documentation open for comparison etc.  I usually have emails opened to refer to later.  Plus I invariably have an RDP session to another system running as well.

I use the Start menu as a primary location for applications. I know that all apps I install will put a shortcut in the start menu.  Therfore I know I will always be able to find them there.  Therefore all I am looking for is the application, I don't want thumbnails, or recently used (If I use it a lot I put it where I can get at it). So I have it minimalist, so that I cna do what I need it to do, find my applications.

Flicking out to Metro is a distraction from my currently already cluttered world.  A distraction I frankly don't need.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 2:16 AM
  • MS has proven me wrong more times than I can count, but I'd be extremely surprised if at the very least the option to bring back the traditional start button wasn't added by the time this releases.  Corporate customers will absolutely go nuts if they don't.  As an admin of over 300 machines myself, I do not want to have to install unsupported 3rd party software on everyone's machines.  

Personally, the whole Metro UI is corporate suicide in my opinion.  I deal with plenty of old women who would be more than happy to go back to a typewriter, if they were given the option.  Every time something changes I have to spend X amount of time retraining them because the recycle bin now "looks" different.  You can only imagine the headaches every time we deploy a new version of IE, since MS likes to change the IE interface with every version.  One of the versions (IE9 I think... I use Chrome personally) moved the favorites button to the other side of the screen.  That alone was 3 days of phone calls because people couldn't find their bookmarks. 

There is absolutely no feasible reason to remove the start button, other than to force people to use the Metro UI.  I have no problem whatsoever with them introducing it (even though I think it has no purpose on a desktop PC), but do NOT force people to use it, especially when the the old UI is still there in the first place.  By removing the start button, I believe MS is forcing people to use the Metro UI as a means to try and 'stand out' in the crowd from Apple, Google, etc.  The problem is that by 'standing out', MS is cannibalizing a lot of users that like their products the way they are already.

Upsetting the corporate users is about as BAD of an idea is MS could make.  Like it or not, corporate customers generate a large majority of the money MS makes via volume licensing, premium priced "business" editions, etc.  I get the point of the Metro UI, I appreciate the novelty of being able to use it on my desktop, and I can even understand displaying it as default on a fresh installation, but do not force me to use it if you are going to keep the traditional desktop.  As much as I would hate it, the Metro UI needs to be all or nothing.  Either I can do everything from it without needing the desktop whatsoever, or the desktop needs to be fully featured eliminating the need of Metro UI for those who do not want it.

• Edited by backlund Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:59 PM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:52 PM
  • other than having to scroll through 4 to 8 screens to get to the program that i want to launch, why wouldn't i want a start menu?

Hi

You can use the Start Screen exactly like you used the previous Start Menu.

Create Categories and place your most used programs in the category that is always visible on the left side of the Start Screen. After they are created, you can move the categories to any position on the screen. Scrolling on the Start Screen is easier than scrolling through the folders in All Programs on the previous menu.

There is an excellent reference/tutorial on configuring the Start Screen at the following link.

Dude, Where’s My Windows 8 Start Menu? whack whack Derick Campbell [MSFT]:

http://derickca.wordpress.com/2012/03/03/dude-wheres-my-windows-8-start-menu/

Regards

Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:05 AM
  • There are several Group Policy Editor Start Menu settings (type gpedit.msc) in your run box, and one to force Start Menu.  I tried them all and none work.

The regedit that does work in Developer Preview won't work at all in the  CP.

I found about 10 ways to revert to the Win 7 start menu via Bing/Google.

Although to many the Metro Start Menu looks childish it can be configured/modded to put what you want there including programs modified.

I'm hardly in the category of "whatever crap the new paradigm" as AZJack phrased it, but I do thing that this post by PM Marina Dukhon should be read and metabolized by everyone running CP.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

I suspect by the time RC rolls around, there will be an easy smooth option to get something like the Win 7 start menu although Marina's points make a lot of sense to me.

There are all kinds of keyboard shortcuts, tips and tricks to get to the place you want posted on the MSFT Answers forum.

Win8to10

• Proposed as answer by jParnell8839 Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:51 PM
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:38 AM
  • Besides using the run box Win Key + r to get where I want to go in Win 8 or to open  up the program I want, simply clicking on the Metro start menu and typing the first letter of where I want to go will often bring it up, and if not with it is the search box and you can type where you want to go in the search box and get there that way, or just hit the  Win  Key+S and Search pops up. To get back to the desktop simply use the  Win Key +D.

Win8to10

Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:46 AM

Hi

You can use the Start Screen exactly like you used the previous Start Menu.

Create Categories and place your most used programs in the category that is always visible on the left side of the Start Screen. After they are created, you can move the categories to any position on the screen. Scrolling on the Start Screen is easier than scrolling through the folders in All Programs on the previous menu.

There is an excellent reference/tutorial on configuring the Start Screen at the following link.

Dude, Where’s My Windows 8 Start Menu? whack whack Derick Campbell [MSFT]:

http://derickca.wordpress.com/2012/03/03/dude-wheres-my-windows-8-start-menu/

Regards

This is ridiculous to even suggest, you going to give them a Xbox controller to scroll across the screen next?

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:20 AM

• Why do you need to go through so many screens? I just press the start button on my keyboard and type in the program name I want and it comes up in the menu. Its the same as the windows 7 orb functionality wise. Since Windows Vista I have stopped navigating the start menu, I just search for the app.

Well, here's what just came up in my W7 StartMenu SearchBox when I typed "acrobat".

As in Adobe Acrobat.

Silly me.  I guess they changed the name to Adobe Reader.  Maybe years ago?

But I don't have to know that.  Or really even care.  I see its icon in All Programs.  Right before my eyes.

That's all I need.  I recognize it without any memorization, or any need to search for it.  It's right there.

I know what that is.  And I know where that is.  It never changes.

So, I'm impressed that you can remember all your obscure programs' names, Ash_AU.

And enjoy typing arcane search terms every time you want to execute them.

Good for you.

But that's not how I do it.

I like my way better.

Great example, Microsoft has been trying to push the "type to search" since Vista and still doesn't understand how bad it is in use! Is anybody driving this bus?

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:22 AM

Because Metro is UNACCEPTABLE in a corporate environment. Microsoft needs to get a clue, Metro is one of the main reasons that windows phones are not selling and it works better for a phone than a PC. IF I WANTED XBOX LIVE I WOULD Buy AN XBOX! Microsoft hits a home run with WIN7 and than in one version wants to put it self out of business with Win8. Remember BOB?

• Edited by PC4Father Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:01 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:27 AM

Hi AZjack

Be nice!

Regards

I still remember the day OS/2 died. In one of the last beta releases for OS/2 2.0 IBM switched from PM ( Presentation Manager what we called the windows desktop back than for you kids out there ) to Open Desktop. Overnight the number of companies considering OS2 went from 70% to 15%. And truth be told Open Desktop was well thought out but JUST TO DIFFERENT. Metro is ok for a touch device at best and just plain lousy for a PC.

BTW did you know that DOS had a ANSI.SYS option to switch the DOS command line syntax to match Unix. This I found along with all many references to Unix in the DOS 2.0 Source Comments. I had been given this source by a Microsoft software engineer named Bill in 1982, as I was responsible for porting our Unix library to DOS for the new PC. Bill went on to tell me that Microsoft had cut a deal for Licensing Unix on all Microprocessors. And he thought it would be very profitable. Microsoft’s combined DOS and Windows net income did not surpass it’s UNIX/XENIX licensing net income until 1990. I thought this guy should be running the company, to bad he doesn’t anymore!

I guess there is our problem visionaries aren’t born every day!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:55 AM
  • window 8 still don't support all the software for devices! most company didn't update new software for window 8..... that's all about,  
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:00 AM
  • Hi AZjack

Be nice!

. . . .

Windows should be about choices and preferences.

Unfortuanatly Microsoft has been removing choices since Windows XP.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:32 AM
  • I just installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview edition and I tried to modify the RPEnabled to 0, so I can have the Windows 7 Start Menu. After a restart, the MetroUI menu is still there. Does anyone what is causing this? This should work.

Regards Remus Rigo

try this patch:

Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

this makes Win8 usable and give you a huge perf boost (dramatically reduced memory usage for expample).

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Friday, July 27, 2012 10:59 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 5:54 AM
    Answerer
  • Now there is a second tool, which uses the Windows 7 Startmenu WHICH IS STILL INCLUDED IN Windows 8, BUT HIDDEN from the users!

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158666-start-is-back-beta-3/

Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Now there is a second tool, which uses the Windows 7 Startmenu WHICH IS STILL INCLUDED IN Windows 8, BUT HIDDEN from the users!

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158666-start-is-back-beta-3/

Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:20 PM
    Answerer