none
Windows cannot connect to the printer, Operation failed with error error 0x0000000d.

Question

• I recently upgraded my Windows Vista Sp2 machine to Windows 7. Under Vista, I was able to connect to my printers via the Windows print server we have. Since upgrading, when I try to select any printer, the installation fails and I get this message. "Windows cannot connect to the printer, Operation failed with error error 0x0000000d." I have tried a lot of the company printers on the server (inlcuding ones I know have buit in Windows 7 drivers) and always get the same message.

I was able to connect to a printer at home via the same method.

In additon, I was able to net use to one of my work shared printers using net use lpt2: \\server\printername and installing a local driver.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:29 PM

Answers

• Sorry, I thought the link said "Propose An Answer" not "Propose As Answer" for the previous item in this thread.  Try the following, it may work for you...

At any rate, I had the same problem as listed above and figured out a way to get the printer installed.

1) Run the Add Printer Wizard and pick Network Printer
    2) After Windows does it's search, add the printer via the IP address
    3) After entering the IP address, Windows may indicate it did not find the printer.  If so, click Next anyway...
    4) Windows will ask for the type of network card in the printer.  I am using Konica-Minolta BizHubs site wide, so I picked that network card
    5) Windows then asked me to specify a driver and I picked the C200 driver (same driver as the C203 I'm installing)
    6) Windows asked if I'd like to name the printer which I did and clicked Finish
    7) After the printer has been added, go to the Printer Properties and click on the "Ports" tab.  Under "Ports", select the port that has been created for the IP address you used to add this printer and click Configure Port.  Make the sure the printer is mapped as "Raw".  Check the IP address.  When I did this, Windows omitted the last octet and hence could not talk to the printer.  I corrected this and saved the port configuration.

I printed the Windows test page and some color documents and it works fine.  I'm sure they'll have this all sorted out before the RTM client comes out.

Hope this works for anyone else running into this problem.

D. Haines

Monday, June 01, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hi all,

Back again, I have been working directly with Microsoft feeding any information they needed to rectify the problem.
    They advise of the following, please refer to my previous posting in this thread for my scenario / issue, similar to others here....

Here is the e-mail:

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.  It has been a busy week.

I have good news.  A fix is already in the build for the final release of Windows 7.  Unfortunately, it does not look like we will patch the issue for the RC release.  Thank you for your help in identifying this issue.  We appreciate all of the effort you went through to bring this to our attention and in providing additional details.

For now, you should still be able to print by connecting to the printers directly over the network.  This can be done through the Add Printer Wizard using the IP address of the printers.  The Canon printer has a driver available in Windows 7.  It looks like you will need to get the Brother driver from their website, or installation media.

Thanks again,

Shawn

Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:14 AM

All replies

• I am having the very same issue.  Any suggestions would be appreciated...
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Ditto....

My scenario was going from Windows 7 BETA to Windows 7 RC.
    Someone from Microsoft Development e-mailed me, if they are able to figure out my problem, I'll be sure to post here.

This is my e-mail to Microsoft when they inquired on the problem I am having:

The printers are installed on a Windows 2000 Server and are network printer shares at work.
    I authenticate with a mapped share into the Server where the printers / drivers are installed.

The Windows 7 BETA I run is on VM Fusion 2.0.4 on MacBook with 4 GB of RAM 2.4 GHZ Processor.
    I have been running it since shortly after the release announcement at C.E.S. by Steve Ballmer.
    The Windows 7 BETA has ran great, no major problems, everything just works!

With Windows 7 Beta; I was easily able to map the printers by clicking on them and then it would
    map the printer and install the Windows 2000 / XP Drivers just fine in Windows 7 BETA.

With Windows 7 RC, it does not; when mapping the printers, this is after I have already been authenticated to the print server machine. It starts to go through the motions of mapping the printer and installing the driver and a pop-up shows up:

Add Printer
    Connect to Printer
    Windows cannot connect to printer

Under Details:

Operation failed with error 0x0000000d

Let me know if I can provide you more information; I'd be happy to help!

Friday, May 22, 2009 2:27 PM

• I also have received the 0x0000000d error stop message.
    I was tring to install a network printer on Windows 7.
    The physical printer is on a windows 2000 PC and is a Epson Stylus Photo RX580.
    This printer works just fine as a network printer for several other Windows 2000 and XP PCs.

So the question at hand, is why can't Windows 7 connect up to it?

If I can supply another information please contact me.

• Proposed as answer by gitarmn Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:44 PM
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:11 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem - as some others have mentioned - using the WIN 7 BETA I had no problems, as soon as moving to WIN 7 RC I get the same error message  "Windows cannot connect to the printer, Operation failed with error error 0x0000000d."

When searching for this problem previously I have found a number of people who had had this problem with VISTA - and the answer had been to do as described and install a local driver and then use the net use command.

I found that I could generally get most of the printers to work by Choosing the "not found in the list" option and then specifying by TCP/IP address and then once windows finds it general type, selecting the find drivers through windows update and selecting the correct printer from the list. This however hasn't worked for the Konica Minolta C250 A3 colour laser printer we have - Windows doesn't ID it correctly from the IP address.

Any help from anyone would be much appreciated.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Sorry, I thought the link said "Propose An Answer" not "Propose As Answer" for the previous item in this thread.  Try the following, it may work for you...

At any rate, I had the same problem as listed above and figured out a way to get the printer installed.

3) After entering the IP address, Windows may indicate it did not find the printer.  If so, click Next anyway...
    4) Windows will ask for the type of network card in the printer.  I am using Konica-Minolta BizHubs site wide, so I picked that network card
    5) Windows then asked me to specify a driver and I picked the C200 driver (same driver as the C203 I'm installing)
    7) After the printer has been added, go to the Printer Properties and click on the "Ports" tab.  Under "Ports", select the port that has been created for the IP address you used to add this printer and click Configure Port.  Make the sure the printer is mapped as "Raw".  Check the IP address.  When I did this, Windows omitted the last octet and hence could not talk to the printer.  I corrected this and saved the port configuration.

I printed the Windows test page and some color documents and it works fine.  I'm sure they'll have this all sorted out before the RTM client comes out.

D. Haines

Monday, June 01, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Yes, I had used the same method and make my network printers connected.

But I could not write clearer procedures like Doug did.

I believe the problem may related to the print server. Better updated it to new version. The one we are using probably still runnign Windows 2000.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 3:25 AM
  • Hi all,

Back again, I have been working directly with Microsoft feeding any information they needed to rectify the problem.
    They advise of the following, please refer to my previous posting in this thread for my scenario / issue, similar to others here....

Here is the e-mail:

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.  It has been a busy week.

I have good news.  A fix is already in the build for the final release of Windows 7.  Unfortunately, it does not look like we will patch the issue for the RC release.  Thank you for your help in identifying this issue.  We appreciate all of the effort you went through to bring this to our attention and in providing additional details.

For now, you should still be able to print by connecting to the printers directly over the network.  This can be done through the Add Printer Wizard using the IP address of the printers.  The Canon printer has a driver available in Windows 7.  It looks like you will need to get the Brother driver from their website, or installation media.

Thanks again,

Shawn

Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:14 AM
  • Too bad they wont fix it for the RC. I was hoping to be able to use it here at work, but I can't since out CAD setup depends on having the printers added through the server via a standard add printer method. I can add them manually, but then our preset cad prints no longer work. Bummer.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Same here. I work in a school and we have a few Vista machines that work fine with our printers, but I installed the Windows 7 RC on a laptop that we use in the server room and I get this error when I try to add any of the printers on our domain (the print server runs Windows Server 2000). I can't connect to the printers directly, because we have a system where print credit is charged for print jobs going through the server.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Thanks but it doesn't work for me.

Sorry, I thought the link said "Propose An Answer" not "Propose As Answer" for the previous item in this thread.  Try the following, it may work for you...

D. Haines

Monday, June 22, 2009 6:32 AM
  • the ultimate solution:

1.Run a command prompt as Administrator

2.type a command as follow,

net use LPT2 \\IPaddress\printer name

3.install a local printer as usual by using port LPT2, go download a printer driver for vista if necessary.

enjoy your win 7.
    • Proposed as answer by zhzyg Monday, June 22, 2009 8:20 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:20 AM
  • For me there was one additional step.

In Printer Properties > Advanced (tab) > Driver

For me the list of drivers on the print server were listed here, but since I had manually loaded the driver as a "local TCP/IP port" I had to go and select the driver from the server here for it to work.

I hope that helps.

-Mason
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 8:00 PM
  • I had exactly the same problem

Thank u very much Haines

I followed your way, and it solved the problem for me.

regards

Aly

Friday, March 26, 2010 5:20 AM
  • Just install the driver software on your computer.

Then create a printer icon as local on Lpt1

then run command prompt command

net use LPT1 \\computernamewhereprinteris\nameofprinter

I did this with a kodakesp 5 and it prints, of course on MY machine it tells me the print job failed, but it prints.

Hilarious that what works on a vista network fails miserably in Windows 7

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Lesss7 - genius!  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I used lpt2, followed your directions, and I can finally print from my laptop on a shared printer. It should not be that complicated!  Thanks again - I am so happy.
    • Proposed as answer by shannon76 Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Microsoft has this article available now regarding 0x0000000d. 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947236/
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:45 PM
  • I have an up-to-date Windows 7 Home Premium laptop that is still experiencing this problem trying to connect to a Lexmark z645 shared from a Windows XP computer.

When I first tried to connect, I got a dialog that windows was searching for drivers; it could not find any even after looking online. I found this link with drivers, and during the installation of those drivers there was a Lexmark wizard for connecting to shared printers. I put in all the information to connect (host name and printer name), and the installation completed successfully, but I could not print a test page, so I removed the resulting printer device that was added in the driver installation process.

After removing the first attempt to add the printer unsuccessfully, I navigated to the printer's host in Explorer, right clicked on the icon for the printer and tried to connect. This was when I got the 0x0000000d error code. I followed the procedures here and also checked the knowledge base article posted above, but no matter what I do, I keep getting the 0x0000000d error code. I am using a 64-bit version of windows 7, so the registry keys were not under Windows NT x86 but Windows x64.

When I do net view \\printerhost, I can see the printer shared, but when I use the 'net use LPT1 \\printerhost\printername' command, test pages show up in the printer queue but never print.

Other hosts on our network (not windows 7 hosts) can connect to this printer fine.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Still have the problem...
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Still no idea what's going on...
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:25 AM
  • I am running into this error - but in my case it is an issue with the driver on the Windows 2003 server that is the print server.  The 2003 driver is not compatible with Windows 7 and when loading the driver form the server when installting the printer you get the error.  my problem is the 2003 universal driver provided by HP doesn't seem to work - whereas the driver provided in Windows 7 by MS and HP does.  The simplest work-around is to setup the printer locally via a TCP/IP port using the dirver through Windows Update.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 4:05 PM
  • I recently upgraded my Windows Vista Sp2 machine to Windows 7. Under Vista, I was able to connect to my printers via the Windows print server we have. Since upgrading, when I try to select any printer, the installation fails and I get this message. "Windows cannot connect to the printer, Operation failed with error error 0x0000000d." I have tried a lot of the company printers on the server (inlcuding ones I know have buit in Windows 7 drivers) and always get the same message.

I was able to connect to a printer at home via the same method.

In additon, I was able to net use to one of my work shared printers using net use lpt2: \\server\printername and installing a local driver.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be

Monday, October 18, 2010 6:46 AM
  • SCENARIO: Print Server Windows Server 2003 R2, station Windows 7 with 64-bit and HP LaserJet P4015n

PROBLEM: Windows 7 64-bit stations can not add HP LaserJet P4015n from print server Windows Server 2003 R2 showing the error 0x000007e

SOLUTION: In the print server, delete the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\[PrinterName]\CopyFiles\BIDI"

CAUSE: The station of user was trying to access a path that the 64-bit operating systems do not recognize as valid: "spool\drivers\w32x86\3". This path is set in the printer settings on the Print Server.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:45 AM
  • SCENARIO: Print Server Windows Server 2003 R2, station Windows 7 with <span title="Clique para mostrar traduç&otil

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:48 AM
  • SCENARIO: Print Server Windows Server 2003 R2, station Windows 7 with 64-bit and HP LaserJet P4015n

PROBLEM: Windows 7 64-bit stations can not add HP LaserJet P4015n from print server Windows Server 2003 R2 showing the error 0x000007e

SOLUTION: In the print server, delete the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\[PrinterName]\CopyFiles\BIDI"

CAUSE: The station of user was trying to access a path that the 64-bit operating systems do not recognize as valid: "spool\drivers\w32x86\3". This path is set in the printer settings on the Print Server.

• Proposed as answer by Soheil Malek Tuesday, June 05, 2012 1:26 PM
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:49 AM
  • What I have found that worked this issue out for me is turning off the Homegroup since previous operating systems dont appear to have this "feature". You can adjust this by going into Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center. Choose Homegroup and Sharing Options > Turn off/disconnect from Homegroup.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:31 AM
  • I also had this issue on some Windows 7 machines and found a different solution than the ones listed here.  I was trying to connect to a printer shared off a print server so adding the drivers locally was not an option.  The solution was to disable the local Point and Print restrictions in Group Policy.

Open Group Policy Editor by going to Start, type gpedit.msc in the Search line and press enter.  Change the following two entries to "Disabled":

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printers\Point and Print Restrictions
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers\Point and Print Restrictions

Once those are switched you should no longer receive the message that says "Windows Cannot Connect to the Printer"

I'm not a group policy expert so I imagine there is a way to set this same setting on a server so that it will get pushed out to network users.  If anyone knows how to do this please post for everyone's use.  Thanks!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Deleting the CopyFiles key in the print server's registry for each queue that had been used previously with HP LaserJet printers worked for me.  No more 0x0000007e errors.  Print queues add properly to Win 7 clients.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:57 PM
  • disable the local Point and Print restrictions in Group Policy.

This is work on me. Thanks

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Had a similar problem when my laptop running Windows 7 could not connect nor print through two networked printers, until I turned off the firewall.

Immediately after this both printers spewed out the files which had been in the printing queue.

It was possible to reset the firewall to its original settings and, seemingly, there have been no further problems.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 6:55 PM