none
Why is Windows 7 64-bit refusing to install on GPT partition?

Question

• So I set up my MacBook Pro with three partitions.  I set up a Boot Camp partition with the Boot Camp Assistant, then added a third with Disk Utility.  I've done this in the past and installed Windows on the Boot Camp partition successfully.

Now the Windows 7 installer is saying it can't install on a GPT partition.  This IS the 64-bit version.

What gives?

Monday, July 18, 2011 1:28 AM

Answers

• Try a third-party partitioning tool. I advise booting from a Windows 7 installation disc (into what is known as Windows PE) and running a Windows Partitioning tool that knows Mac partitions. Perhaps it can make a compatible partition.

I admit that the problem with this advice is that I do not know Mac partitioning at all. Both Windows PE and Kubuntu 11 have partitioning tools but I can't guarantee that they work with Mac. I also know a couple of free third-party partitioning tools like EASEUS Partition Master but I can't guarantee their operation as well.

Make sure you have backup. Something may always go wrong.

Update (17 December 2012)

Hi. I'd like to amend my answer. I do not think the problem is related to partitioning anymore because now I know that to install Windows 7 in a GPT partition, Windows 7 installer must be run via EFI or UEFI boot loader. Please see "Installing Windows to an EFI-Based Computer" in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744321.aspx.

The greatest moment of everyone's life is the moment of positive thinking.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:16 PM

All replies

• This issue is related to Boot Camp. Please contact Apple support for more information.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Mmm, thanks, but the question still stands: This edition of Windows 7 supports GPT partitions, so why should this error message ever be issued?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Hello MartinBriley,

the partitioning is probably not correct for setup to continue.  With Bootcamp in the picture, setup is not sure how to proceed, the partitioning is not as expected and I am not sure about the Macbook implementation of EFI.  If the EFI is not compliant, we may not thing we can use GPT with this scenario

There needs to be an EFI, a MSR and a Data volume for GPT and we need to be able to make changes to NVRAM for the EFI implimentation, I am not sure those options exist in this scenario or they are as expected, Arthur is correct in pointing to Apple to better understand their scenario 

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Now that's a substantial answer.  Thanks.

Apple, of course, will be no help in this. They'll simply say Windows 7 isn't supported on this model, or claim it's a bad disc image... if you can even find a place to direct such a question.

The days of running Windows on Macs have pretty much come and gone already.  I've tried installing Windows 7 on four Macs recently, all different models, and the results were different every time.

There are some known, long-term (and thus inexcusable) defects in the Windows installer if I remember correctly though.  I can't find the reference at the moment, but there's some problem where Windows doesn't parse ISO format correctly; it doesn't handle a version number that's appended to filenames on a disc image.  That's my half-assed recollection of the problem.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Try a third-party partitioning tool. I advise booting from a Windows 7 installation disc (into what is known as Windows PE) and running a Windows Partitioning tool that knows Mac partitions. Perhaps it can make a compatible partition.

I admit that the problem with this advice is that I do not know Mac partitioning at all. Both Windows PE and Kubuntu 11 have partitioning tools but I can't guarantee that they work with Mac. I also know a couple of free third-party partitioning tools like EASEUS Partition Master but I can't guarantee their operation as well.

Update (17 December 2012)

Hi. I'd like to amend my answer. I do not think the problem is related to partitioning anymore because now I know that to install Windows 7 in a GPT partition, Windows 7 installer must be run via EFI or UEFI boot loader. Please see "Installing Windows to an EFI-Based Computer" in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744321.aspx.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  I'll check out Partition Master and look around for others as a last-ditch effort.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:02 PM

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:42 PM