none
Windows System Image Error in Windows x-64 (0x8078011D)

Question

• Hello,

I have new Laptop HP Core i5 with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x-64. I try to create System Image on my External WD HDD. When i try to create system image then following error displays:

"One of the volume specified for backup is invalid because it is either not on fixed drive, is not formatted NTFS, or is read only. (0x8078011D)

I try the following steps to trouble shoot but failed:

1-) Verify the File System & Status of external HDD (Online) and Internal Hard Drives are Healthy, active and in NTFS

2-) Run Integrity check by sfc /scannow & checked SFC details by giving command below:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

It donot gives any error or corrupted or replace any file.

3-) Re-format the External HDD to NTFS

--------------------------------------

Performing all above steps i still got a problem. Please look into this issue on urgent basis. I will be really appreciate.

Thanks!

LeoN
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Leon,

How did you create the System Image? Which tool? Is it Windows 7 feature included in Back up and Restore?

How about backup other data like documents on this external HDD? Does it work?

If not, what's the error message?

Is it external HDD correctly recognized by the system? Go to your Device Manager, check if there's any yellow exclamation mark. Then install the latest driver for it.

If you can, test it on another computer to check if the backup works.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Hi, I am creating the system image through Control Panel-->Windows Backup in Windows 7 x-64 SP1. I am able to create backup on External HDD but when try to create system Image then error will be displayed that is:

"One of the volume specified for backup is invalid because it is either not on fixed drive, is not formatted NTFS, or is read only. (0x8078011D)

I create different backup files, folders on External HDD and working fine even i make windows backup with out system image on External HDD but when select System Image option then it fails!

Also I have updated drivers of my external HDD.

Thanks 

LeoN
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:25 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks for the update.

Does source partition have NTFS file system on it?

It seems the external HDD is without issue.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:22 AM
  • hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please let me know how i can check "source partition have NTFS file system on it?

Thanks

LeoN
    Friday, October 14, 2011 12:22 PM