none
Blank Desktop background after Windows XP updates

Question

• I have 3 users who are running Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32-Bit).  They all have different machines (All Dell computers but one is a laptop and two are desktops of different models).

Following each patch Tuesday these users are left with a blank desktop background and the mouse cursor.  The computer is completely unresponsive and will not respond to an Alt+Ctrl+Delete or anything else.  The task bar is also gone.

I had found a Hotfix from Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327565 ) which I applied to the machines however the issue continues.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 8:43 PM

All replies

• Could be a driver problem. I have found that a lot of Dell machines need a BIOS update and that helps in some cases. Others still have issues.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 11:56 PM
  • I have thought about that however the issue only happens when the users come into work following a patch Tuesday.  Rebooting their machines manually does not cause the issue.
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 6:52 PM
  • Back when I was using XP on bare metal, I needed to reboot it often. Now I have it in a virtual machine.

The VM has only 1 program, for my old minidisc player. Everything else works with Windows 7 fine.

So my VM is almost a virgin in that its got no software running at all. Its runs fine, but mind you I use a cold shutdown for it all the time. I never hibernate it or anything.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 9:38 PM
  • There is another hotfix. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948277/en-us supposedly fixing this same issue.

Had same issue on 2 PC running SP3/32bit. Applied HotFix. One PC is all ok now. However other one still has this issue. After a cold reboot , all is well for few hours and then this thing kicks in with blank screen coming up when hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL or (remote) logging into machine.

If anyone finds a solution,Pls advise.

Many Thanks.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:06 PM