none
Windows 7 x64 - How to setup control panel settings in command line ?

Question

• Hi,

I'm working on a script (in batch) that would do the repetive job, like turning the firewall on, etc...

For the firewall there's no problems I find the right command to do that : netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state on

I find that one with a lot of luck, now for the other parameters, where should I look?

For example, now I want to setup Windows Update (I don't want him to search automatically for updates and I want him to let ONLY admins apply the patchs), but I can't find any way to do that in command line. All I find is wuapp (but it only pop the GUI for Windows Update...).

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks!

Thursday, November 01, 2012 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Not all the settings in control panel settings can be changed via command line. Many settings can be changed via group policy. In addition, regarding the Windows Update settings, you can change the following registry settings to achieve this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\AUOptions

1. Don't check

2. Check but don't download

3. Download but don't install

4. Download and install

Here is a thread for your reference: Can you change windows update settings via command line?

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by totest Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:13 PM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Not all the settings in control panel settings can be changed via command line. Many settings can be changed via group policy. In addition, regarding the Windows Update settings, you can change the following registry settings to achieve this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\AUOptions

1. Don't check

2. Check but don't download

3. Download but don't install

4. Download and install

Here is a thread for your reference: Can you change windows update settings via command line?

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by totest Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:13 PM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Yes, thanks.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:14 PM