none
"New RAID-5 Volume..." greyed out in Disk Management

Question

• Hello,

I got 3 equal disks which were a dynamic Raid-5 before. I want to create a Dynamic Raid-5 again in Windows 7 but it's greyed out in the context menu. I can create a mirror, stripped or spanned volume.
    But no Raid-5 volume.

All disks are dynamic disks already and unallocated.

Anyone able to help?
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

After confirming with our product team, it says that RAID-5 is only supported on computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Datacenter Server,  Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 Operating Systems. In Windows 7, only hardware-based RAID is supported.  Thus I recommend that you check your computer to see if it meets this requirement and visit the motherboard’s support web site to download the RAID drive controller drivers.

References:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786912(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_WINUI

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

As I know, Disks must be set up meeting the following requirements to support RAID-5.

1)Disks: You must have a minimum of three disks to support striping.

2)Type: Any disks involved in striping must be dynamic. Conversion from basic to dynamic goes very quickly without data loss. After you complete this procedure, you must restart the computer.

3)Capacity: The RAID-5 volume can take the whole disk or as little as 20 megabytes (MB) for each disk.

4)Unallocated space: Any disks that you want to upgrade to a dynamic disk must contain at least 1 MB of free space at the end of the disk for the upgrade to succeed. Disk Management automatically reserves this free space when it creates partitions or volumes on a disk, but disks with partitions or volumes that are created by other operating systems might not have this free space available.

5)Status: The status of all disks involved in a stripe volume must be online when you create the striped volume.

6)Device Type: You can install striping on any dynamic disk even if there are mixed drive architectures on the computer. For example, IDE, EIDE, and SCSI drives can all be used in one stripe volume.

Please note: make sure that these disks don't include partitions or volumes that are created by the previous Operating system.

Regarding the current status, I'd like to suggest that you reformat these disks and establish a Striped Volume with Parity (RAID-5).

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dale Qiao

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:05 AM
  • I have the same problem with the greyed out Raid 5 option. I disks meet all the requirements and still the option is greyed out. What can i do?
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:14 PM
  • All requirements are met.
    And I already backuped my data and reformated the disks as dynamic disks etc and _still_ the Raid5 is greyed out!
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:54 PM
  • You could always try using diskpart.exe, in a command prompt.

C:\>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7100
    Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.

DISKPART> ? Create VOLUME RAID

Creates a RAID-5 volume using three or more specified dynamic disks.

Syntax:  CREATE VOLUME RAID [SIZE=<N>] DISK=<N>,<N>,<N>[,<N>[,...]] [ALIGN=<N>]
                [NOERR]

SIZE=<N>    The amount of disk space, in megabytes (MB), that the volume
                    will occupy on each disk. If no size is given, the largest
                    possible RAID-5 volume will be created. The disk with the
                    smallest available contiguous free space determines the size
                    for the RAID-5 volume and the same amount of space is allocated
                    from each disk. The actual amount of usable disk space in the
                    RAID-5 volume is less than the combined amount of disk space
                    because some of the disk space is required for parity.

DISK=<N>,<N>,<N>[,<N>[,...]]

The dynamic disks on which to create the RAID-5 volume. You
                    need at least three dynamic disks in order to create a RAID-5
                    volume. An amount of space equal to the size specified in
                    SIZE=<N> is allocated on each disk.

ALIGN=<N>   Typically used with hardware RAID Logical Unit Number (LUN)
                    arrays to improve performance. Aligns all volume extents to
                    the closest alignment boundary. The extent offsets will be
                    a multiple of <N>.

NOERR       For scripting only. When an error is encountered, DiskPart
                    continues to process commands as if the error did not occur.
                    Without the NOERR parameter, an error causes DiskPart to exit
                    with an error code.

After you create the volume, the focus automatically shifts to the new
        volume.

Fault-tolerant volumes such as RAID-5 and mirrored volumes are not
        supported in any edition of Windows Vista.

Example:

CREATE VOLUME RAID SIZE=1000 DISK=1,2,3

Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Where you see the grey-out? In Disk Management console?

What Windows 7 you have and what kind of these hard disk (brand and type)?

Thanks.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:07 AM
  • In Disk Management console yes.
    Windows 7 Professional.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:27 AM
  • I'm using Windows 7, Enterprise ed.

Diskpart doesn't work in this case. Upon trying this before it comes up with the error that this command is not supported in this version of windows.

My setup is 4 X 500GB Samsung disks. All the same model. They are dynamic and ready to be used.

M.Steve and myself have the exact same prob and it seems we have everything required for a RAID 5 setup but the option is greyed out. Are you able to create a RAID 5 array with windows 7? Is your option not greyed out? Do you know if software RAID 5 is possible with windows 7?

I came across some info yesterday suggesting that the RAID 5 option that is greyed out is an option that is only possible with certain CPU's that support this. It's a new windows thing. So unless your CPU supports this kind of functionality the option will be greyed out.  
    Friday, August 14, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

After confirming with our product team, it says that RAID-5 is only supported on computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Datacenter Server,  Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 Operating Systems. In Windows 7, only hardware-based RAID is supported.  Thus I recommend that you check your computer to see if it meets this requirement and visit the motherboard’s support web site to download the RAID drive controller drivers.

References:

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:09 AM
  • The reference you have posted was last updated in 2005, before Windows 7 was released. Unless I am missing something this doesn't seem like solid evidence that Raid-5 isn't supported in Windows 7. If it wasn't supported I would assume the option wouldn't be included in Windows 7 rather than just greyed out. I have an easier time suggesting that RAID-5 is only available in Windows 7 if the motherboard or cpu support this software raid option.

I would like to know the true answer to this though with solid evidence.

Thanks

Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

References:

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Isn't it a MAJOR bug then that all Windows versions show the RAID-5 alternative? Why the ____ would you do that if you doesn't support it?
    Friday, July 16, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Well, I have the combination of Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and RAID5 using Intel ICH9 Rapid Storage Technology (Intel X38/X48 chip) using four Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ. My Motherboard is ASUS P5E. I hade no problem installing this solution. Of course I used the Intel Storage driver
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm

The problem is that this solution isn't stabile. As you can see in Intel Communities theirs a lot of problem with random discs reported as faulty, thus the RAID is down graded. This has happend to me twice. I will today switsh to a Promise FastTrak TX4310 card instead. Hope this does the work better then the Intel solution.

I don't no how this will affect the speed as the Promise card only support PCI slot.

Tomas

By helping others I help myself
    Friday, August 27, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Excuse me but isn't the point of hardware raid 5 that it is not windows dependant and is therefore configured outside windows using the raid adapters bios and the raid 5 array just shows up as a volume?

So if Windows 7 doesn't support "windows raid 5" why is the raid 5 option even in the menu. You don't need to configure anything in windows if you are using hardware raid 5 so it utterly pointless.

Friday, June 17, 2011 6:44 PM
  • BIOS configured RAID is just a variation on software RAID.  The processing is being done by a driver.  Without the right driver the RAID does not work and the os sees individual drives or no drives at all.  BIOS RAIDs are sometimes called hybred RAIDs.

In Windows, the RAID5, mirror, or stripe options available in Disk Manager are provided by the services and functions within the operating system.  These are software RAIDs.  There are other proprietary software RAIDs.

A true hardware RAID uses an independant processor for the RAID storage controller.  As such, it can present a single drive image that is ingependant of operating system.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Well, I have the combination of Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and RAID5 using Intel ICH9 Rapid Storage Technology (Intel X38/X48 chip) using four Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ. My Motherboard is ASUS P5E. I hade no problem installing this solution. Of course I used the Intel Storage driver
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm

The problem is that this solution isn't stabile. As you can see in Intel Communities theirs a lot of problem with random discs reported as faulty, thus the RAID is down graded. This has happend to me twice. I will today switsh to a Promise FastTrak TX4310 card instead. Hope this does the work better then the Intel solution.

I don't no how this will affect the speed as the Promise card only support PCI slot.

Tomas

A Follow Up ...:

I have now used this FastTrak solution in my brand new builted computer (Win 7 Ent x64) without any trouble at all.

But - the C:drive (were the OS is installed) is, after a couple of reclaims, a brand new Corsair Force 3 SSD 240GB. My RAID5 is installed as D:drive where My Documents and so on is stored. As backup system I use Synology 411j with four identical 500 GB drives.

• Proposed as answer by Serbia23 Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:51 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Serbia23 Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:52 PM
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 11:28 AM
  • http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:52 PM