none
Window 7 Media Player 12 cannot play audio CD

General discussion

• Hi ,I put an audio cd in my windows 7 machine and when I go to double click on it to play it, it gives me the following error:
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access this file.It does this for any audio cd I put in, but I can put in software cd's and these work fine. Please help and many thanks.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:09 AM

All replies

• Please help !!!
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

You may refer to the following KB article to check if it helps:

Windows Media Player Does Not Play Audio CD-ROMs Automatically

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 01, 2011 6:11 AM
  • I am having the same issue! This is Windows 7 x64 with SP1. Zune is also installed. The DVD-RW is attached to a SATA II port. X58 chipset! The above article has nothing to do with the issue.

Event viewer shows an error in the system log:

<Lambros />

The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block. with a source of cdrom.

I am sure the media is in a very good condition

Monday, April 04, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Lambros, does this happen for all audio CDs, or just one or a few?

Please try running the troubleshooter at

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

Does that help?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:16 PM
  • This is happening on brand new and old media. I was also having issues with writting to CDs/DVDs so I recently bought a new DVD-RW so it cannot be the unit either. Zune was kind enough to report an error that the disc switched from didgital to analogue mode but still failed.

The utility does not appear to detect any issues

<Lambros />
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Can you still play audio CDs with another media player, like Winamp?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:22 AM
  • That article doesn't have any use with WMP 12 at all - refers to non-existent tabs and things. Even the secondary stuff is useless in Windows 7. 

You may refer to the following KB article to check if it helps:

Windows Media Player Does Not Play Audio CD-ROMs Automatically

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 09, 2012 7:52 AM
  • I got a new PC begining of December and I no longer have this issue. Zune is causing some trouble though; if zune.exe or zunelauncher.exe is up and running when an audio cd is inserted, then the system sees no media at all; I have to go and browse the CD itself.
    <Lambros />
    Monday, January 09, 2012 7:57 AM
  •  I know, all of us are having problems with Windows 7 version of WMP 12 and they send us to help on XP for WMP 9 or 10.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:47 PM
  • That does not apply to WMP 12 in Windows 7 at all.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:48 PM