none
Unable to check and fix my disk

Question

• When I try to run the "defrag" command from my command prompt under vista, the command gives me the following message:

{The volume is marked as dirty. you must run chkdsk on the volume to correct any problems before you attempt to defragment it again.}

When I run "chkdsk" command from my command prompt, the command discovers a lot of corrupted segments. after a short while I receive the following message:

{Errors found.  CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.}

When I try to run command "chkdsk /x", I receive the following message:

}

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

}

Even if I chose Y, the system does not check my hard disk in the next time the system restarts and I still unable to fix my hard disk nor running defragmentation.

My question is how I can fix errors on my hard disk, knowing that my Vista came preinstalled on my laptop and I do not have any installations CDs and PC Doctor is not detecting any surface errors.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 3:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have performed more research on this issue, and find the following article may can do some help,

for your reference:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130824-chkdsk-will-not-run-startup-vista.html

And below is the official storage diagnostic tool from Hitachi, it is named Drive Fitness Test. You may like to

download it and have a try:

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Important Note:

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this

information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any

software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations

regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent

dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that

you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

May I know what the format of your harddisk? NTFS or FAT32?

If it is FAT32, check the following KB article:

Dskprobe.exe May Damage FAT32 Boot Sector
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;246146

Also, the following article for WinXP would still be valid for Vista, for your reference:

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265/en-us

Note: It is strongly recommended that perform a full backup before using the parameter /f or /r.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:46 AM
  • My hardisk format is NTFS.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Hi,

How about the result of running the command: chkdsk /R ?

Friday, March 21, 2008 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

When I ran the command I got:

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /R
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

and even if I chose Y, the system does not run the check command when it restarts.

Friday, March 21, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Hi,

Let's change another method to perform this action.

Please go to my computer, right click on your drive letter, select Properties\Tools tab, under Error-Checking, click on Check Now. That should do it .

Also, you may like to run the command: chkdsk /F as a test.

By the way, may I know what's your harddisk mode? As I know, most of harddisk manufactor have their own diagnostic tool. It may can diagnose the harddisk in more effective way.

Hope it helps.

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your concern,

I have tried the "Error-Checking" option, and I got the following message:

{Windows can't check the disk while it’s in use - Do you want to check for Hard Disk errors the next time you start your computer?}

and again even if you choose (Schedule disk check} the computer does not perform the check.

I did not understand what you mean by Hard disk (HD) mode, if you mean HD format, it is NTFS.

My HD is installed in a laptop and came without any diagnostic tool.

When I run "PC Doctor 5" to check my HD, it does not return any errors!, although, running "chkdsk"  command from the Command Prompt reveals that my HD has a lot of HD record segments are corrupted.

Kindly advise.

Monday, March 24, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my typo. The hard drive "mode" should be "model". I'd like to know the brand and model of your hard drive.Then I can search for the specific hard drive diagnostic tool from the manufactor for you,  it may can help us to get the exact diagnostic result.

I am not quiet sure if you can run the chkdsk command with parameter /F correctly now. if yes, please try to use the command: chkdsk /F /R  as a test. If it can finish as expect, then please try defrag again.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:13 AM
  • Hi Again,

Following is the result of "chkdsk" and "defrag" commands:

{

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /F /R
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) n

C:\Windows\system32>defrag c:
    Windows Disk Defragmenter
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corp.

The volume is marked as dirty. you must run chkdsk on the volume to correct any
    problems before you attempt to defragment it again.

}

As you can see the attempt to check and defrag the HD failed.

Find below the model and Brand of my HD:

Model: HTS541080G9SA00 ATA

Brand: Hitachi Global Storage Technologies - Travelstar

Hope to find out a solution.

Regards

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

I have performed more research on this issue, and find the following article may can do some help,

for your reference:

And below is the official storage diagnostic tool from Hitachi, it is named Drive Fitness Test. You may like to

download it and have a try:

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Important Note:

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this

information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any

software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations

regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent

dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that

you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:41 AM
  • Thanks a lot, I have followed the directions outlined in the below link you provided and every thing went OK. I was able to check and fix my HD and then Defrag the HD.

Best Regards 

Friday, March 28, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

I am happy to know it was resolved.

Have a nice day.

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:37 AM
  • Hi Samer

Often this is caused by drive about to fail, transfer it to a backup.

Try Spinrite (run form bootdiskette or USB-Stick) from http://www.grc.com , backup the damaged drive then replace the faulty drive.

Cheers

TCW

Important Note:

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 4:58 PM