none
External Hard Drive not showing in my computer

Question

• I have an external hard drive that im trying to connect to my computer with usb2.0 and it doesn't show up in my computer.  I can see it in Disk Management and it says its Online but doesn't assign a letter to it.  I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.  I have 2 internal drives.  I have tried assigning the backup drive to different letters and that doesn't seem to work.  Any ideas???
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that the external USB hard drive doesn’t show in Windows Explorer but detected in Disk Management.  To resolve this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Go to Device Manager, uninstall the USB hard drive,  scan for the hardware change and let Windows automatically re-install driver for your device.

2.     Open Registry Editor, navigate to the following item:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Find if your device is registered and assigned a letter.

As a work around, I suggest you accessing the external hard drive via a Command Prompt, copy out the data, then format the hard drive.

1)    Click Start, type: cmd in the Search bar.

2)    Right Click cmd and click Run as Administrator.

3)    Type the following command:

Copy [source] [destination]

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi gocards300,

Here is the solution for your problem.

Go to Start > Run, type in DISKMGMT.MSC then select your drive in the bottom half of the window at the left, right-click on it, choose Initialize then right-click again and either partition and format it or format it.

Hope your problem will be solved.

Regards

Syed Asad Bukhari

• Proposed as answer by Slosh1014 Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:34 PM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:54 AM
  • It's a drive from another computer that crashed, and I would like to get the data off it.  Also when I right click on the drive the only option I have is Delete Volume.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:21 AM
  • I'm not sure I understand.  The enclosure supplies the power to the hard drive.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

I understand that the external USB hard drive doesn’t show in Windows Explorer but detected in Disk Management.  To resolve this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Go to Device Manager, uninstall the USB hard drive,  scan for the hardware change and let Windows automatically re-install driver for your device.

2.     Open Registry Editor, navigate to the following item:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Find if your device is registered and assigned a letter.

As a work around, I suggest you accessing the external hard drive via a Command Prompt, copy out the data, then format the hard drive.

1)    Click Start, type: cmd in the Search bar.

2)    Right Click cmd and click Run as Administrator.

3)    Type the following command:

Copy [source] [destination]

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Thanks mate!

it works...

Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:38 AM