none
External Hard Drive not showing in my computer

Question

• I have an external hard drive that im trying to connect to my computer with usb2.0 and it doesn't show up in my computer.  I can see it in Disk Management and it says its Online but doesn't assign a letter to it.  I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.  I have 2 internal drives.  I have tried assigning the backup drive to different letters and that doesn't seem to work.  Any ideas???
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that the external USB hard drive doesn’t show in Windows Explorer but detected in Disk Management.  To resolve this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Go to Device Manager, uninstall the USB hard drive,  scan for the hardware change and let Windows automatically re-install driver for your device.

2.     Open Registry Editor, navigate to the following item:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Find if your device is registered and assigned a letter.

As a work around, I suggest you accessing the external hard drive via a Command Prompt, copy out the data, then format the hard drive.

1)    Click Start, type: cmd in the Search bar.

2)    Right Click cmd and click Run as Administrator.

3)    Type the following command:

Copy [source] [destination]

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi gocards300,

Here is the solution for your problem.

Go to Start > Run, type in DISKMGMT.MSC then select your drive in the bottom half of the window at the left, right-click on it, choose Initialize then right-click again and either partition and format it or format it.

Hope your problem will be solved.

Regards

Syed Asad Bukhari

• Proposed as answer by Slosh1014 Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:34 PM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:54 AM
  • It's a drive from another computer that crashed, and I would like to get the data off it.  Also when I right click on the drive the only option I have is Delete Volume.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:21 AM
  • Some USB drives need more power and if the USB cable is not thick enough the losses are enough to cause problems. My USB disk has 1 short cable but I have seen others with 2 USB cables in a Y configuration to get additional power.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe I also am a true vegan and I am very good with economics and I used to play chess at 2400++
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:11 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand.  The enclosure supplies the power to the hard drive.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:49 PM
  • So you have a power supply for the case then. The reason I start with power is I have a USB powered hard disk, it uses a short and heavy USB cable, with one connector. Its a recent model controller. It even has a blue LED activity light.

Sometimes my disk will not work and I have to disconnect it, reboot and then it works again.

Other times I can use it and disconnect it repeatedly and it works fine.

Check your motherboard BIOS for an update, sometimes those kind of problems get fixed. If that does not pan out, its possible the USB chipset drivers are damanged so to check you files use the sfc tool.

in a search box of the start menu

sfc /scannow

will check your system, make sure your are plugged in as this can tale a while and be prepared to have your Windows disk handy in case it asks for it.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe I also am a true vegan and I am very good with economics and I used to play chess at 2400++
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Hi,

I understand that the external USB hard drive doesn’t show in Windows Explorer but detected in Disk Management.  To resolve this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Go to Device Manager, uninstall the USB hard drive,  scan for the hardware change and let Windows automatically re-install driver for your device.

2.     Open Registry Editor, navigate to the following item:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Find if your device is registered and assigned a letter.

As a work around, I suggest you accessing the external hard drive via a Command Prompt, copy out the data, then format the hard drive.

1)    Click Start, type: cmd in the Search bar.

2)    Right Click cmd and click Run as Administrator.

3)    Type the following command:

Copy [source] [destination]

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Thanks mate!

it works...

Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:38 AM