none
Windows 7 x64 - DVI video cuts out at Windows logon screen.

Question

• Hello all.  I have a rather vexing problem here.  I recently upgraded my old CRT monitor with an LG W2343T-PF.  It has both Dsub and DVI inputs.
    Obviously I was using the VGA with a VGA to DVI-I adaptor as my eVga 9800gt has only two DVI-I ports.

The LG monitor did not come with a DVI cable annoyingly enough so I recently purchased a DVI-D cable from eBay.  It has 24 pins and 1 flat blade.
    Using only the DVI-D cable I can see the PC go through the normal boot process and I even get the initial Windows 7 logo.  But when I get to the logon screen, when the driver itself kicks in, the digital signal is lost.  If I attach the VGA cable to the LG and plus that into the 9800gt using the VGA to DVI-I adaptor and then push the "source" button on the LG to switch to the VGA port I get video on the analog source.

If I then plug the DVI-D cable into the 2nd DVI port when I go into the display screen resolution control panel it shows:

Display: 1. LG W2343(Analog)
                 2. LG W2343(Digital)

If I set it to "Extend this display" in theory I could switch the source to digital and then see the right half of the desktop.
    Or if I set it to "Duplicate these displays" then again in theory I should see the same desktop when I switch back and forth.

No such luck.  Only the analog source has any video.  Selecting the digital source makes the LG go to sleep mode as it sees no signal.
    Bad cable?  Well maybe, but like I mentioned, there is digital video during the boot and initial Win 7 splash screen.  The DVI output goes away when the logon screen comes on and the Nvidia drivers initialize.
    I am forced to use the VGA cable with the DVI-I adaptor to get any video at all in Windows 7.  I get analog video from either DVD port on the 9800gt but nither port will output digital video within Windows.
    The Nvidia drivers are the most recent Win 7 64-bit drivers from Nvidia.com, 1/11/2010 v8.17.11.9621.

Asus P6T Deluxe MoBo
    Intel Core i7 CPU 920
    eVga 9800 GT (Nvidia GeForce)
    Zalman 600W PS with 16a to the PCIe +12V

So just to recap, I get digital video from the DVI ports while the PC is booting, BIOS menus, Windows boot menu (pressing F8), Windows splash screen (the cute graphics of the dots swirling around to form the Windows logo), just no video in Windows proper.

I have searched and searched but have not found a definitive answer.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This problem may happens if your display resolution is too high and the old monitor cannot support it. Try to boot the computer to lower resolution display mode and see if the issue persists:

1. Restart the computer and start pressing the F8 key on the keyboard. On a computer that is configured to boot multiple Operating Systems, press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, pick Enable low resolution video ( 640x480 ).
    Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, February 26, 2010 2:56 AM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

This problem may happens if your display resolution is too high and the old monitor cannot support it. Try to boot the computer to lower resolution display mode and see if the issue persists:

1. Restart the computer and start pressing the F8 key on the keyboard. On a computer that is configured to boot multiple Operating Systems, press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, pick Enable low resolution video ( 640x480 ).
    Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, February 26, 2010 2:56 AM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:53 AM
  • This happened to me after I ran Windows 7 Update which updated my video device drivers.  I lost my DVI output to my 2nd monitor after Windows 7 starts.

What resolution did you come up with?

Brian

Friday, January 21, 2011 5:53 AM