none
Internet explorer not working after windows update

Question

• My laptops internet explorer stopped working after applying windows updates, I rebuilt it and after applying all updates it still does not work, Browser just says internet explorer cannot display the webpage.

Have checked wireless configuration service and this is ok. If I run ping using a webname e.g. bbc.co.uk it does not resolve, but if i run using the ipaddress for bbc.co.uk it resolves, likewise if I put an ip address in Internet explorer it returns a webpage.

If I run nslookup for bbc.co.uk it returns the ip address as expected. If I connect with a cabled connection it runs ok.

I rolled back to a restore point before the updates it runs again. Have tried winsock fix app and this did not fix the problem. I dont know which update is causing the problem. The laptop is a fujitsu Amilo 3438g. At present there is only standard software installed and firefox, which also suffers same symptoms. At preesnt I am not applying any security updates to get round this, but this is not ideal.

My network works ok as I can connect to a share on my other pc ok.

Any ideas ?

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:34 PM

Answers

• Thanks Bryan,
                          I tried that and it did not fix it.

I have found which update is the problem and it is kb951748, searching on google it mentions zone alarm, but i dont use that, I use my PCGuard for firewall and antivirus. If I turn off the firewall it makes no difference.
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:39 PM

All replies

• Colonel,

You could try the following:
    1. From the command prompt run: netsh routing ip reset
    2. From the command prompt run: route -f
    3. Disable your network connection
    4. Restart the computer
    5. Enable your network connection
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Thanks Bryan,
                          I tried that and it did not fix it.

I have found which update is the problem and it is kb951748, searching on google it mentions zone alarm, but i dont use that, I use my PCGuard for firewall and antivirus. If I turn off the firewall it makes no difference.
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Please completely uninstall all firewall software, and see whether that fixes it.
    Robin Walker
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Please completely uninstall all firewall software, and see whether that fixes it.
    Robin Walker
    I am going to agree with rdhw, I would completely uninstall the firewall/security software until you resolve this issue.  Also, after you do that, run those commands I listed in my previous post again.
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 6:23 PM
  • That didnt fix it either, I'll probably ignore the update for the time being.

Thanks
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 12:22 PM
  • Please try installing hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958752
    Robin Walker
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 7:57 PM