none
Windows 7 Firewall - Could not start the firewall service on Local Computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

Question

• I have a Windows 7 64-bit system on an AMD quad-core with 4 GB RAM.  I get this error: Firewall - Could not start the firewall service on Local Computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

I have run a thorough antivirus check and have tried the sfc /SCANNOW routine with no success. Is the error 3 due to a missing file? If so, please let me know what files are used by Windows firewall. If it is started by an exe file I could copy it off my install cd.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:47 AM

Answers

• I suspect it's affected by virus or malware. Please verify the following regitry keys by comparing them to a default Windows installation:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MpsSvc

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ShareAccess

And for the virus issue, also check Microsoft Security and Privacy Website: http://www.microsoft.com/security/

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:10 AM

All replies

• That lists all the things I tried with no success - antivirus check, sfc /SCANNOW, etc... . My BFE service is running just fine, too. His error was 0x800705b4 which he said was an authentication error. As I said, mine is an error 3 that appears to mean a file or folder is missing. That's why I was wanting to know what files are associated with Windows firewall, to know if a disk corruption may have damaged it.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:21 PM
  • I suspect it's affected by virus or malware. Please verify the following regitry keys by comparing them to a default Windows installation:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MpsSvc

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ShareAccess

And for the virus issue, also check Microsoft Security and Privacy Website: http://www.microsoft.com/security/

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:10 AM