none
Unable to save display settings and Multiple Monitors

Question

• Have Windows 7 RTM installed on my laptop and was working great with extending to my monitor. I took my laptop home and hooked it up to my tv and it was fine. Now when I bring it back to work I cannot get the monitor to work. Only the display on the laptop is working. Windows can detect the monitor, but I try to enable the monitor and when I select Apply I get an error message "Unable to save display settings". I am a local administrator on the laptop. How can I extend to my monitor!

Thanks
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, September 07, 2009 4:00 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, September 07, 2009 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Error message " Unable to save display settings" mainly indicates that you try to extend or duplicate the desktop to the two external monitors in addition to the laptop screen. Generally, laptop supports only two displays at one time due to hardware limitation. I suspect that the issue occurs because the laptop remembers both configuration for your extended monitor and TV. To extend your monitor, you need to clear the multiple configuration for your laptop and then extend your display by changing your display settings. To do this, please take the following steps:

Step 1. Delete registry key.
    ==================

1)Press Win + R to open a run box.
    2)In the Run box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3)Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MobilePC\TMM

4)Right-click the subkey that you located in step 2. Then, click Delete.
    5)When you are prompted to confirm the delete operation, click Yes.
    6)On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
    7)Log off the computer. Then, log on to the computer.

Step 2. Extend your display by changing display settings.
    ====================================

1)Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.
    2)Click the drop-down list next to Multiple displays, click Extend these displays, and then click OK.

References:

KB 973782

Best Regards
    Dale Qiao

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Error message " Unable to save display settings" mainly indicates that you try to extend or duplicate the desktop to the two external monitors in addition to the laptop screen. Generally, laptop supports only two displays at one time due to hardware limitation. I suspect that the issue occurs because the laptop remembers both configuration for your extended monitor and TV. To extend your monitor, you need to clear the multiple configuration for your laptop and then extend your display by changing your display settings. To do this, please take the following steps:

==================

1)Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.
    2)Click the drop-down list next to Multiple displays, click Extend these displays, and then click OK.

References:

KB 973782

Best Regards
    Dale Qiao

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:04 AM
  • i have ati radeon on a dell desktop on xp i was able to have two monitors in landscape and the tv as a duplicate of the second monitor.
    in 7 i have tried this setting and it will not let me save it i even installed catylist and hydrovision but no luck in xp the setting to do this was in catalyst no it appears to be in 7 but not working
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:35 PM
  • I had this same issue. The most "common" fix is to change your resolution. When you attempt to extend or clone your primary display it uses the same resolution. If your monitor is 1024x768, and your secondary display only supports up to 800x600, you'll get the "Unable to Save Settings" error. Try changing your PRIMARY/MAIN display to a lower resolution THEN extending your desktop between both displays.

Good luck.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Did you ever get this fixed (using Windows 7)?

I am having a very similar issue with a new HP desktop PC that is using an ATI Radeon 5450 graphics card.  I want it to drive both an old Mitsubishi HDTV (via RGB) and a Sharp LCD HDTV (via HDMI).  I have them both setup to do 1080 interlaced at 30Hz, and I can "extend my desktop" to cover both displays without issue -- but when I try to "duplicate desktop to both displays" I get the  "Unable to save display settings" error!  I want the desktop to be duplicated (or mirrored) on both displays so it's frustrating to get this error when it should be entirely (and easily) possible.  I have upgraded the both Windows 7 and the graphics card drivers, but I still get the misguided error.  And I tried a lower resolution (even as low as 640x480) and still was not able to duplicate/mirror/clone the desktop to both displays.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:40 PM
  • I am having the same problem. I am running two graphics cards: a onboard HD 3200, and a PCI-e HD 3400. The HD 3200 built in to the motherboard has HDMI out, which I would like to use as my main display to run my 23" LG monitor, and I would like to use the HD 3400 to run my second display - a Compaq FP 7317. The only thing that I can do to get it to work is to re-install the driver for the onboard HD 3200, and it works fine.... until I restart my computer. After I restart my computer, I have the same problem.

Furthermore, in CCC it will not even detect the monitors connected to the onboard HD 3200.

So a temporary work-around is to reinstall the video driver that you are having trouble with. Just do not restart your computer or else you will have to reinstall it again...

Monday, March 07, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

I am having a somehow similar problem, i have an elitebook, trying to extend/duplicate my screen with an other monitor, i have nvidia on my notebook, i get the message "unable to save display settings" although connecting to the monitor only works fine...I tried reinstalling nvidia driver with no success...please help!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:56 AM
  • I am having a similar issue but not with my laptop i just built a pc and everything is working fine except my second monitor wont duplicate or extend, but the monitor works and is recognized as being there I just can’t change the resolution to get signal to the monitor. My graphics card is ATI HD 6970 Iv had the graphics card checked and everything is working fine.
    • Proposed as answer by Neo Genetics Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Neo Genetics Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:59 AM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:16 AM
  • No answer from microsoft? This is ridiculous. I bought a Gigabyte 5450 that has a display port/2 HDMI/VGA with the express purpose of using it for 3 monitors.  Gigabyte says that there is nothing wrong with the card and to contact microsoft. I get "unable to save" anytime I try to enable any one of my 3 monitors. Is this some stupid windows 7 crap? I hate this OS more and more every single day. Step up microsoft, get us a solution.
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 6:34 PM
  • i have a similar problem to most of you... i have a acer ferrari 4000. it was mirrored with my monitor before i restarted my computer but after it restarted only my pc screen was on, so i checked the screen resolution and it will not let me set my monitor as my primary display, i have tried a lot of things but nothing worked
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

==================

References:

KB 973782

Best Regards
    Dale Qiao

This registry key does not exist in my Laptop and it still won't work.  I have an Asus N53S which has both Intel HD Graphics 3000 and an NVidia GeForce GT 540M.  It appears that the limitation is actually there is no D-Sub / HDMI  / Internal Monitor option like there is in Windows Display.
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

==================

References:

KB 973782

Best Regards
    Dale Qiao

This registry key does not exist in my Laptop and it still won't work.  I have an Asus N53S which has both Intel HD Graphics 3000 and an NVidia GeForce GT 540M.  It appears that the limitation is actually there is no D-Sub / HDMI  / Internal Monitor option like there is in Windows Display.
    • Proposed as answer by TV-Updated Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by TV-Updated Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 8:06 PM
  • All,

I found one resolution for this issue that worked on MY system.  I have a Radeon ATI HD5800 series video card.  When I try to use DVI+DVI+HDMI I get the dreaded "Unable to save..." message as above.  HOWEVER -- When I unplug the HDMI and instead use the DisplayPort connection, all's well.  On this card, at least, the HDMI must share with one of the DVI connectors, and you can either have one or the other.

To recap:  DVI+DVI+DP works.  DVI+DVI+HDMI does NOT work.  NOTE:  This card (ATI) has four connectors, but it can only drive three displays.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

-Timmer

TV

Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:25 AM
  • I have the same graphics card ATI HD 5800 series. But I still get the "unable to save.." message when trying to hook up THREE monitors even with the Display port. I have DVI+DVI+DP(dp converter to hdmi). :( Running windows 7 of course. If anyone knows how I can get three monitors to work on my desktop computer it would be greatly appreciated!
    Monday, June 11, 2012 7:53 PM
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MobilePC\TMM

I am having trouble. I navigate through the subkey, and there is no 'MobilePC' file. Help please?

Monday, September 17, 2012 6:12 PM
  • I was having the same problem with my desktop NVidea.  To fix the problem I used the "NVidea Control Panel" to set up the displays.  I have 3 monitors but can only use 2 at a time.  I must select the two monitors in the NVidea software and then I will not get the message "unable to save display settings".
    Monday, December 31, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Thank you for posting this! I am trying to do the same thing however I am on a desktop so I was able to get to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\  but the next step: mobilepc  is not there do to the fact that I am on a desktop. If you could give me the next steps I would be so appreciative. I am on widows 8.
    • Edited by Dividicus Monday, May 27, 2013 5:18 PM
    Monday, May 27, 2013 5:17 PM
  • We ran into the same issues with trying to use 3 monitors.

The resolution for us on the laptop and desktops was to use a USB adapter for it's 3rd connection.

Otherwise we could not get more than 2 monitors using the extended display settings.

Dana Berry

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:30 PM
  • How would I do it on a desktop that doesn't have the "MobilePC" folder?

Where would I find the "TMM"?

Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:14 PM
  • Try Plugging in the monitor you are having problems with in to a different port
    Sunday, May 04, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Not sure if you sorted this out or not. I had three monitors working changed something and then when I plugged them back in could only get two to work. What I found was that the monitor that was not working had gone into hibernate mode and therefore system could not start it up to detect it. Pressed the on/off button extended the desktop to the now active monitor and it worked. Hope this may help others.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:12 AM