none
Shortcut icons are not showing on desktop

Question

• Hello,

I am testing Windows 8.1 Enterprise (trial version). We have users logon scripts that put shortcuts on users' desktop. The icons for these shortcuts are located on network shared drive. For some reasons, after the login scripts run, the shortcuts appear on users' desktop but they don't have the correct icons. Anybody has this same problem?

Thank you.

Friday, December 06, 2013 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How about the problem now? What's your meaning "don't have the correct icons"? Did the icons was corrputed or replaces? It would be better to take a screenshot for this problem.

In addition, How about run the scripts manually afther login system? Did the problem would appeared?

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:57 AM
  • Hi,

What's your meaning "don't have the correct icons"? : Example: I create a desktop shortcut to a pdf document which is located on a shared drive. I use an icon file named "phone.ico" as the icon for the shortcut. The icon file phone.ico is also located on the shared drive. The shortcut is placed on users' desktop by a logon vbs script. My problem is the shortcut does not show the "phone.ico" file as its icon. It only shows the generic gray folder icon. I tried my best to explain. I hope you understand.

In addition, How about run the scripts manually afther login system? Did the problem would appeared?: Same problem when I run the script manually.

DVD2013

Monday, December 23, 2013 9:32 PM
  • If you created the Icon as a user without admin rights the properties of that icon will not carry over to a different user. You need to do  this with admin for all users. Your current user as admin does not allow you privileges for all users.

Have a very happy holiday.

Monday, December 23, 2013 9:43 PM